Thoughts on Justin "Big Pretty" Willis

SUBLIME FAN

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I like this guy. I've been talking him up before he was even in the UFC and I got laughed at by a lot of people. Yes he still has to face some top competition but I truly think he's a solid prospect in the heavyweight division. And will definitely put on some fun fights. Really big guy and really fast and athletic for his size. Has good wrestling and good hands with knockout power, also trains at American Kickboxing Academy.

I seen him fight live Saturday and he had one of the coolest moments on the card. Really fun new blood at Heavyweight.

Cautiously optimistic. His opponents thus far are really not anything to write home about (and Crowder legitimately only got signed because he was a HW) but there's some skills there. He doesn't need a big step up anytime soon so I guess keeping him busy and taking things slow is a pretty good idea.

He related to Bruce?

He's a nice guy. I used to do some kickboxing at AKA and he would teach the class sometimes. He's got incredibly powerful leg kicks and overall seems like a pretty good striker. I think he can do well in a division that's so talent deprived.

For anyone who listened to MMA Hour today, Ariel asked Luke Rockhold about some sort of Beef Justin Willis and Daniel Cormier have going and he got all awkward and didn't want to comment. Cormier has a reputation as a real gym dick head though.

i remember his debut being decent, showed good cardio despite being a fatty.

and his hand speed was good in this fight.

glad he's back cause i was interested in him after his debut then he kinda just disappeared.

Tell us more
Not much to tell. Lol. He's just very serious in the gym. Not looking to be friendly. He trains hard and spars hard and is known to get an attitude. Only time I've actually been in the same training room as him was a BJJ class and no one wants to roll with him because he goes 110%.

doughboy-Baha-Jackson-Boyz-N-Hood-2.jpg

Decent power, boxing was pretty sloppy imo, more of a brawler w/ tons of heart. I can’t see him doing too much tbh. Needs much improved conditioning as well.

He is young for a HW, and his skills will improve rapidly the as he trains himself into better shape. Tybura, Lewis, Albini, Tim Johnson are all examples of fighters gradually getting into better shape each time we see them. Blaydes too. A very common theme among HW prospects.

He is athletic, has good pop, but I don't think he will be much more than an action fighter. Which at HW could see him get close to the top 5 at some point.

Might be a contender in the future. This guy should be easy to hype if they market him right.

Thoughts on his performance last night? Wish he woulda got the finish, but he looked pretty good I thought, now 3-0 in the ufc, and Sherman is no joke.

I really like Willis. Like I said in the thread maybe he never will become a champ, but I could see him definitely joining the rankings and will definitely be a guy that will be around for a while and will put in some fun ones. He reminds of Roy Nelson a lot. Someone that hits very hard, isn’t afraid to slug, has good gapping and top control, colorful character and crowd pleaser.

If this guy could start just racking off 1st rd ko’s he could become a big name I think

Thoughts on his performance last night? Wish he woulda got the finish, but he looked pretty good I thought, now 3-0 in the ufc, and Sherman is no joke.

I really like Willis. Like I said in the thread maybe he never will become a champ, but I could see him definitely joining the rankings and will definitely be a guy that will be around for a while and will put in some fun ones. He reminds of Roy Nelson a lot. Someone that hits very hard, isn’t afraid to slug, has good gapping and top control, colorful character and crowd pleaser.

If this guy could start just racking off 1st rd ko’s he could become a big name I think
Like you said, he's the next Roy Nelson. The only question is if he has Nelson's chin.

Willis looks a promising fighter at HW. i imagine everyone watching that fight last night wanted him to land a clean shot as his punches definitelty had some sting in them.

It was testament to chuck shermans chin that he made it to the decision.
willis vs tuivisa some time be fun.

It didn’t take me long to notice his tendency to dip his head to the left. He almost got caught with a headkick or three in that fight, but I’m not sure Sherman figured it out or if he just threw stuff out there.

Powerful and fast hands, probably going to get some nice wins together.

Back