Thoughts on Hector Camacho Sr as a fighter?

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So obviously talented right? Great, crazy ass character...

But.....I recently watched the Rosario fight. Brutal fight. But to me...Hector truly lost his confidence here in terms of his skill. You watch the post fight interview he almost seemed stunned at the fight and that he was hit so much...5th round hurt really bad

Obviously he was still Macho Camacho after but in terms of his ability in the ring, imo he was never the same after Rosario

heres the fight. Post fight interview is 59:22 (timestamped)

Coming from a Rican house on my mothers side, Camacho was the favorite fighter in the family, I remember watching his fights in the 80’s on HBO and always dazzled and entertained, my Grandmother went crazy for his ring entrances and post fight interviews, and on top of that all the wild stories outside the ring from passing out in his apartments with dozens of girls passed out too, to being king of block of parties in NY

An ATG at 130 right up there with Arguello

Sadly, people will always remember the ass whooping Chavez gave him, he was both past his prime and weight class at that time

Camacho in my ranking of puertorrican fighters as a top 5

Wilfredo Gómez

Wilfredo Benítez

Tito Trinidad

Miguel Cotto

Macho Camacho

Camacho in my ranking of puertorrican fighters as a top 5

Wilfredo Gómez

Wilfredo Benítez

Tito Trinidad

Miguel Cotto

Macho Camacho
Carlos Ortiz should be on htat list IMO.

he was Macho af.

Also damn LOL they do NOT play around in PR. Dude was a hometown hero and they still got his ass...smh

my idol, made me want to be a fighter. people forget but everyone expected an ATG great. The drugs and fast life got him like they got a lot of other people. Revisionist history has changed the fact that he was kayoing most of his opponents during his hottest string of fights. Rosario? I don't know, I've wondered many times whether it was rosario or just him losing interest or both. No doubt, it was a tough fight, he said himself the next day "if this is macho I want nothing to do with it" but his biggest quibble (if we can take his words as true) was that he didn't get paid much for that war, and he didn't. less than half a million, which when you cut it ten different ways isn't much money. that may have been the biggest factor of all, because after that he only fought the small names or the big names for big money. he picked up nice paychecks for the white fighters of the era, paz and mancini, The Paz fight was his last really good performance. after that he was just there for the money even though he was still pretty good. He provesd his name with chavez, taking a life changing beating, he fought trinidad on more or less even terms but he just did not have the gas to get the upper hand anymore, he picked up his final paycheck vs. ODLH who again gave him the beating of a lifetime, the man was tough, one of the toughest I've seen, and all people could do was bitch about him holding and running. How many top fighters were never kayoed? Oscar did everything he could and he couldn't do it. Macho broke my heart with his death, it took a long time to get over. Drugs have robbed so much talent from the world.

he was Macho af.

Also damn LOL they do NOT play around in PR. Dude was a hometown hero and they still got his ass...smh

It is a black eye and shameful event in my country. That’s the truth my friend

they never found the killer, seems like no one even cared. before and after his death his so called countrymen and women would post vile things on his facebook, they really made my blood boil.

also, he was not even the target, he was just there, wrong place wrong time. He actually had a clean record in PR, he had left the us because of all his legal problems, the last one, his son stole some money from him so he beat his ass and after that he just left the US while the case was pending. Little did I know, (I corresponded to him) that the murder rate there was 26 times higher than in the us, I thought it was a good move for him at the time. I only found out later that he was actually shot a year or two before during a carjacking.

they never found the killer, seems like no one even cared. before and after his death his so called countrymen and women would post vile things on his facebook, they really made my blood boil.
There were a bunch of leads and people were trying to help, but the police never did their job!! Again it’s a shameful event in PR history

Multiple time boxing champ, top 5 p4p in his prime, he ran amuck everywhere he lived, NY, PR, Miami and Arizona, partied hard, had dozens of baby mamas, he came out in a spanish version of Dancing w the Stars, was a frequent guest on a gossip tv show, all of this in a short span, dude’s typical day was more exciting some of our entire lives, he grew up rough and could have taken a different path, with that said, the streets never left Camacho even when he was champ.

He even set the standrard for flamboyance that fighters like Roy Jones, Hamed and even Mayweather emulate

Dude was way ahead of his time, had he been around today with all the social media craze he’d be a huge superstar

i'll come back to this tonight, i don't need to be in a funk today.

Carlos Ortiz should be on htat list IMO.
Yeah, I think Carlos Ortiz should top the list.
With regards to OP, Rosario sure is a prime-ruining fighter when you often find yourself fighting at the end of his power.

My favorite Macho moment was that interview after he beat Ramirez where he went crazy

"MANCINI I DON'T RESPECT YOU OPINION. AND PERNELL WHITAKER, YOU COULD GET SOME TOO. BRAMBLE, JIMMY PAUL, LARRY HOLMES, ALL YA'LL :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:S COME ON WITH IT BABY!!"

Multiple time boxing champ, top 5 p4p in his prime, he ran amuck everywhere he lived, NY, PR, Miami and Arizona, partied hard, had dozens of baby mamas, he came out in a spanish version of Dancing w the Stars, was a frequent guest on a gossip tv show, all of this in a short span, dude’s typical day was more exciting some of our entire lives, he grew up rough and could have taken a different path, with that said, the streets never left Camacho even when he was champ.

He even set the standrard for flamboyance that fighters like Roy Jones, Hamed and even Mayweather emulate

Dude was way ahead of his time, had he been around today with all the social media craze he’d be a huge superstar
I've heard he was much more quiet and humble in person. Our very own Actjac has reaffirmed that demeanor. He raised hell but maybe not as much as would seem from his image. I found it interesting how quickly his attitude changed with a little money and fame. He left Harlem, his accent changed (listening to early interviews is pure new york street, fast, lots of physical mannerisms), he stopped calling out the larry holmes' and gerry cooney's. there were stories that i heard where his mouth got him into some difficult positions, one was the infamous teddy atlas fight which probably happened but some people said it didn't and another I heard of where thomas hearns yelled at him for trying to kick one of his friends out of the gym. then, there was the tale of him attacking pernell whitaker outside the ring because pernell got the better of him in sparring, (although, i also heard he bested Pernell in sparring).

did he have multiple "baby mommas"? I never heard of him having a bunch of kids outside the ones with his wife and macho jr.

yea lol its about what I expect tho. Can't even goto the PR parade without getting shot at around here. Is what it is... o well still love em

There were a bunch of leads and people were trying to help, but the police never did their job!! Again it’s a shameful event in PR history
does anyone know who did it?

Back