Thoughts On Duane Ludwig's Style of Teaching

well said. solid fundamentals are key. if you can't even throw something properly in orthodox, then maybe focus on that first before throwing it in southpaw stance or attempting advanced techniques.

And that right there is the crux of the issue (fundamentals)...many people can't throw stuff properly in their native stance but insist on switching back and forth still.

<Fedor23>

His "style" or system, and it is a particular system, will work for some and not for others. It relies on athletasism, speed, and reaction times. That isn't knock, Roy Jones Jr used the same attributes to be a killer. If however your a grinder, or you like to cut off the ring and walk guys down, or you use power and timing, this might be as effective for you.

I heard somebody call this "humming bird" technique. They meant it in a bad way, but I think it fits. The idea is to keep constant movement, and angle changes to prevent the oppo from guaging distance and setting up attacks. They get hypnotized concentrating on figuring out the movement and forget about what they do.

A good example on how to counter this would be Cruz v Garbrant, and recently Tucker v Glenn. They kept composed, kept pressure, used timing, and focused on picking their own shots

What do you think is a good fight of TJ's to understand the style? I've pretty much only seen his fight with Cruz and Lineker.
I think his best performance besides Liniker was Assunciao at UFC 200. Absolute clinic

IF tj makes the same mistake he made with cruz of not setting up his kicks with punches, I think Cody is going to win. I think he'll murk him.
I'm not so sure, I think TJ might take the win there. In my mind I see it as perhaps 60/40 Cody, depending on if TJ has sharpened up a few openings he makes then I'll go 50/50.

What makes it even harder to predict is that they have trained together for so long. Both guys have improved since so it's hard to tell. Also you have TJ doing more boxing sparring (hopefully with Loma or someone skilled again) which might help him prepare for Cody.

Another X factor is that, while Cody has looked strong in his UFC run, I think part of the reason he looked so excellent against Cruz was because of the matchup. Alpha Male has had like, what, 6-7 camps preparing for Cruz? Finally he slowed down a little and they found the guy who could do it. You have to think that they know Cruz better than they know anyone else, and that Cody was prepared as best he could for exactly that. Maybe he overperformed and wont look as good against TJ.

Great fucking fight! Might be the one I'm most looking forward to this year.

Don't know if Cody can blitz or time Tj like he did against Dom.

Both are improving so much it's a very good fight.

X-factor is Tjs punch defense. Can he play the outside kicking game and tire Cody out

I'm not so sure, I think TJ might take the win there. In my mind I see it as perhaps 60/40 Cody, depending on if TJ has sharpened up a few openings he makes then I'll go 50/50.

What makes it even harder to predict is that they have trained together for so long. Both guys have improved since so it's hard to tell. Also you have TJ doing more boxing sparring (hopefully with Loma or someone skilled again) which might help him prepare for Cody.

Another X factor is that, while Cody has looked strong in his UFC run, I think part of the reason he looked so excellent against Cruz was because of the matchup. Alpha Male has had like, what, 6-7 camps preparing for Cruz? Finally he slowed down a little and they found the guy who could do it. You have to think that they know Cruz better than they know anyone else, and that Cody was prepared as best he could for exactly that. Maybe he overperformed and wont look as good against TJ.

That's true, but this situation is a little odd too in that all of Cody's coaches were long time training partners of TJ's. So I imagine they'll be able to game plan pretty well for him too.

I tend to think that Cody will take this, mostly because I just don't see TJ taking advantage of the holes in a very boxing heavy attack like Cody's. It took him until the 4th round to start kicking low against Cruz, so while I'd like to see him come out and get Cody slipping low and then slam his legs when he's out of position to check (or throw knees after he's induced the slip/roll), my guess it that TJ will probably do his usual in and out mixing punches and high kicks, and Cody will tear him apart with well timed counters. I don't really see wrestling being a big factor as I doubt either guy can keep the other down, though I would expect to see a few successful takedowns from both men.

That's true, but this situation is a little odd too in that all of Cody's coaches were long time training partners of TJ's. So I imagine they'll be able to game plan pretty well for him too.

I tend to think that Cody will take this, mostly because I just don't see TJ taking advantage of the holes in a very boxing heavy attack like Cody's. It took him until the 4th round to start kicking low against Cruz, so while I'd like to see him come out and get Cody slipping low and then slam his legs when he's out of position to check (or throw knees after he's induced the slip/roll), my guess it that TJ will probably do his usual in and out mixing punches and high kicks, and Cody will tear him apart with well timed counters. I don't really see wrestling being a big factor as I doubt either guy can keep the other down, though I would expect to see a few successful takedowns from both men.
Yeah you're right. They both have knowledge of each other, have trained with each other and they both have improved so there's a lot of intangibles floating around.

I see it the same way you do. I think TJ would like to set up the headkick or knee on Cody, but I think that'll be hard. I see him taking angles, lateral movement, dance around Cody and they will BOTH be looking to exploit the openings, because they both create openings that can be timed. Easier said than done though.

I think Cody is being overestimated a little bit atm, which is understandable with the amazing performance he had against Cruz. He still tends to swing wild and he favours hooks almost always, I actually think there is a possibility that TJ, if he has improved and has a good night, can pick him apart. Honestly I don't know, because this fight is so incredibly hard to predict with all the history between the two and the stylistic matchup. Lots of unknowns.

I agree. I think it will be a battle between TJ's intelligent versatility and Cody's timing. I hope TJ wins but it will be an awesome fight either way.

Back