Thoughts on black wheels?

Pic of bike?
Dont have any handy. Looks almost identical to this one, just without the highway bars and different exhaust.
2004_orange_harley_davidson_v_rod_for_sale_in_mesa_az_85208_4110055421803963612.jpg

Are plasti dipped wheels easier to clean than non-dipped wheels?

why they gotta be black tho?

Black wheels for life. Mine are more dark gray though.

I got my Audi all murdered out. I feel like Knight Rider or some shit

Yea, it just peels right off and they do not ruin your finish underneath. The only prep is washing them before hand.

I like the look, but have never owned a car with black rims. My car and my wife's SUV get quite a bit of brake dust, so I'd imagine black rims would help keep them looking a little cleaner.

I took a pressure washer to mine and it didn't peel them. My bumpers are plasti dipped as well and they've survived a couple of touchless car washes.

There is a line in the fantastic Disney animated movie Cars where the tire guy says "black wall tires blend into the pavement" this can be attributed to black wheels as well. When you are moving with black wheels, they look like the cheap steel wheels that come on entry level cars and are meant to be covered with hub caps. At least polished aluminum or chrome wheels stand out against black tire and black pavement.

I drive a 2013 F250 that has ford's horrible chrome-clad wheels. They are cheap cast aluminum with a plastic-chrome material plated onto them. I hate them. I really want to find something in black nickel or black chrome, which to me is the best looking metal finish ever made. I see several musical instruments and small items in this finish, so I know it exists, but I've never seen wheels for heavy duty pickups in it.
THere's nothing wrong with a steelie.
G_TRJ_64_Wright_v8-dragged.jpg

a6a1db7c288937715f6155c2404f0084.jpg

That is an awesome ride....love it.

I get things powder coated from time to time. Don't go to an automotive auto-body and paint joint, they will bend you over hard. I found access to large and small scale "do it yourself" blasting. Then had the items powder coated at a industrial powder coaters. Try searching and posting "wanted" on your local buy and sell, or google some metal fab and wielding shops, as many offer inexpensive prep and spray, with high quality results. Where I am at $1000 would be steep. Good luck.

Edit:
Also, do the chemical bath/cleaning yourself. Waaaaaaaaay cheaper.
Have you ever used the hobbyist grade soda blasters? I have a flare side box for a Ranger I want to paint but I'm to lazy to hand sand it. The sides are fiberglass so I can't sand blast it.

I took a pressure washer to mine and it didn't peel them. My bumpers are plasti dipped as well and they've survived a couple of touchless car washes.

THere's nothing wrong with a steelie.
G_TRJ_64_Wright_v8-dragged.jpg

a6a1db7c288937715f6155c2404f0084.jpg

Have you ever used the hobbyist grade soda blasters? I have a flare side box for a Ranger I want to paint but I'm to lazy to hand sand it. The sides are fiberglass so I can't sand blast it.

If you can rent, or buy one used and then resell it fast at a small loss. I do this with some tools that I cant justify buying. It consider it like a rental. Also post a free ad in the wanted section of your local or regional online buy and sell.

Every now and then I will do trade ins at pawn shops too.

Also you can blast just about any thing with the right grit and air pressure.

Maybe its just a good day to get the headphones on, and put your head down into it. (also rent an orbital sander at home depot or whatever place)

Good luck.

If you can rent, or buy one used and then resell it fast at a small loss. I do this with some tools that I cant justify buying. It consider it like a rental. Also post a free ad in the wanted section of your local or regional online buy and sell.

Every now and then I will do trade ins at pawn shops too.

Also you can blast just about any thing with the right grit and air pressure.

Maybe its just a good day to get the headphones on, and put your head down into it. (also rent an orbital sander at home depot or whatever place)

Good luck.
If I get one, I'm going to keep it. I've got a couple other upcoming projects I could use it for. I've already got the orbital sander. It's been a couple years since I've painted so I want to take everything back down to bare metal and it's going to be a bitch of a color to spray I think. The less physical work I have to do the better. There's going to be lots of wet sanding in my future.
It's this blue
67645321.jpg

Last edited:
If I get one, I'm going to keep it. I've got a couple other upcoming projects I could use it for. I've already got the orbital sander. It's been a couple years since I've painted so I want to take everything back down to bare metal and it's going to be a bitch of a color to spray I think. The less physical work I have to do the better. There's going to be lots of wet sanding in my future.
It's this blue
upcobraleftrear.jpg

Fuck your life...I have had my fill of auto body and part prep (Motor Coach Industries), as well as exterior structures prep.

I would rather break rocks in a chain gang. lol

Fuck your life...I have had my fill of auto body and part prep (Motor Coach Industries), as well as exterior structures prep.

I would rather break rocks in a chain gang. lol
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards having someone else doing it.
I was all geared up a couple of weeks ago, but the more I think about it I realize how big of a bitch it's going to be. If it was flat like a regular bed it wouldn't be so bad, I think I'm going to have problems on the curves when painting.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards having someone else doing it.
I was all geared up a couple of weeks ago, but the more I think about it I realize how big of a bitch it's going to be. If it was flat like a regular bed it wouldn't be so bad, I think I'm going to have problems on the curves when painting.

Yeah, I wouldn't risk it without mad skills. Maybe suck up as much prep as you can, just to keep the cost down, although some guys will still add costs to have to work around your prep if its not down by there own hands, although that pretty much is the case with anything when the customer has his prints on the job.

not sure why but I keep reading this as thoughts on black women

8346181491_b267408b53_b.jpg

4881842330_12cc0e12ce_b.jpg

the iforgde and deep dish black rims are super sexy

Back