Thoughts on Ancajas's latest performance?

ironfist05

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Gotta say I was really dissapointed, particularly after the shutouts he pitched against McJoe and Sultan, who are both pretty good fighters. He looked sloppy, bad at managing distance, very hittable, and couldn't adjust. I think 6-6 was fine since it was close enough that a draw was reasonable (though honestly, gun to my head, I'd give it to Santiago). Still, unless this was an off night, Jerwin clearly isn't ready for the elite level. I know Arum said he wanted Jerwin in there with SSR and Yafai, but honestly, after last night, I wouldn't pick him over SSR and now I'm not sure who to pick in a fight between him and Yafai, when I had Jerwin the solid favorite beforehand.

Yeah it was a bad performance. He was throwing a lot these flashy impressive looking shots but they weren't landing enough & continually put him in bad positions where he got tagged. Ancajas needs to work on controlling the fight with his jab. You need to control the fight with your jab before you start throwing all those flashy athletic shots. Definitely poor ring generalship & inability to control the distance.

Last edited:
Gotta say I was really dissapointed, particularly after the shutouts he pitched against McJoe and Sultan, who are both pretty good fighters. He looked sloppy, bad at managing distance, very hittable, and couldn't adjust. I think 6-6 was fine since it was close enough that a draw was reasonable (though honestly, gun to my head, I'd give it to Santiago). Still, unless this was an off night, Jerwin clearly isn't ready for the elite level. I know Arum said he wanted Jerwin in there with SSR and Yafai, but honestly, after last night, I wouldn't pick him over SSR and now I'm not sure who to pick in a fight between him and Yafai, when I had Jerwin the solid favorite beforehand.

overhyped by arum.
to be realistic, sultan is not elite either.

ancajas saying he wants SSR, i'm sure he doesn't want that anymore..

overhyped by arum.
to be realistic, sultan is not elite either.

ancajas saying he wants SSR, i'm sure he doesn't want that anymore..
I agree that Sultan isn't elite but he's a good fighter, and Ancajas made him look really bad. He showed versatility in that fight too, did a bit of a Lara imitation if I remember correctly. It was a showing that hinted at a lot of potential, but then this. Maybe Santiago is legitimately better than originally expected, maybe Jerwin understimated him but even if so, he needs a lot of work if he's going to face Ioka, SSR, JFE, Roman, Donnie or Yafai.

If he looks like that in his next outing, then yeah, he's not fighting SSR. Or at least Arum won't let him.

Last edited:
We learned his inside game is weak and he over commits on his left hand.

It wasn't a very professional effort at all

Gave a v bad account of himself

well, he might be going through with it anyhow. Props to Ancajas if he does.

Yea tough fight got to respect him if he takes it

Got to be a lot better than his last showing though

the elite guys like ssr, estrada impose their style on everyone they face
in comparison, i don't see that quality with ancajas
i imagine ancajas should face yafai or one of those guys first

Back