Thought experiment rd 4 Robert v Yoel

fatbino

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Seems like everyone’s disagreement as to who won sort of hinges on rd 4 (or whether 5 was a 10-8, but ignoring that for a moment). So I rewatched just rd 4, and it seems like pretty completely Whitaker’s round, except for the big shot from Yoel at the 4:40 mark which staggered him and then one good follow up shot.

My question is would anyone have scored the round for Yoel if those shots had happened in the beginning of the round instead of at the end? Be honest.

I personally gave 4 to Whitaker, and think the best Romero could have done was a draw...

I think it's more of people questioning that Romero should've scored a 10-8 in both rounds 3 and 5.

Seems like everyone’s disagreement as to who won sort of hinges on rd 4 (or whether 5 was a 10-8, but ignoring that for a moment). So I rewatched just rd 4, and it seems like pretty completely Whitaker’s round, except for the big shot from Yoel at the 4:40 mark which staggered him and then one good follow up shot.

My question is would anyone have scored the round for Yoel if those shots had happened in the beginning of the round instead of at the end? Be honest.

I personally gave 4 to Whitaker, and think the best Romero could have done was a draw...

You bring up a good point. It's one of the more difficult things in judging I would say: Do you score the round for the guy who landed the most, or the guy who did the most damage? In my opinion, Romero came the closest to ending the fight in that round and that should weigh very heavily in the scoring. Also, it shouldn't matter when the devastating blows occurred.

This is similar to rd 4 between Jones and Gustafsson where Jones landed the big elbow towards the end of the rd. I thought Gus was winning the round, but that strike allowed Jones to carry the 4th and ultimately win the fight.

48-47 Whittaker or 47-47 are the only acceptable answers.

nobody is debating about round 4. they are debating that rounds 3 & 5 were both 10-8 which would have given yoel the win.

48-47 Whittaker or 47-47 are the only acceptable answers.
if you give romero the 2 10-8 rounds (3 and 5) IICR, Then you get a 47-46 romero score. and it's more than reasonable to do so. 48-47 whittaker IMO is unacceptable. that implies there were no 10-8 rounds which is just incorrect in relation to the new scoring criteria given

if you give romero the 2 10-8 rounds (3 and 5) IICR, Then you get a 47-46 romero score. and it's more than reasonable to do so. 48-47 whittaker IMO is unacceptable. that implies there were no 10-8 rounds which is just incorrect in relation to the new scoring criteria given
That last round would've been a 10-8 even under the old scoring criteria, let alone the new one.

Round 4 was Robert's. Round 3 was either Whittaker's, Romero's or a draw. Was not a 10-8, that's laughable.

You can make a case for a 10-8 in Round 5.

If you can't comprehend a few different scores being possible you are not too bright.

R1 10-9 RW
R2. 10-9 RW
R3. 10-9 YR, 10-8 YR
R4 10-9 RW, 10-9 YR, 10-10*
R5 10-9 YR, 10-8 YR

Final
48-47 RW
47-47
48-47 Yoel
47-46 Yoel
48-46 Yoel
48-45 Yoel
47-45 Yoel

* admittedly highly unlikely because 10-10 is almost never scored.

Last edited:

the good news is, this debate didn't start and won't end there.

Sherk v Dunham (i think round 2) was similar. one guy won 30 seconds of the round with a lot more more authority than the other guy who won the rest of it.

both rounds of Romero v Kennedy had a bit of this as well (let's ignore the glove grab for the sake of this argument.)

it is worth noting that last year's new Unified Rules did emphasize power shots over volume.

regardless where this debate goes it's worth remembering that close rounds are - by definition - close. and judges will disagree on close rounds in most any sport.

Do you score the round for the guy who landed the most, or the guy who did the most damage?
Immediate damage takes precedence over cumulative damage. It's stated in the new scoring criteria. I don't know if Illinois adopted the new rules, I didn't pay attention.

Yeah that's why. I'd never give Yoel 2 10-8s, so it's not an applicable answer to me.

No way round 3 was a 10-8. Being dropped once doesn’t make a 10-8 even under the new system. Robert had some pretty good shots in there before and even after getting dropped.

Round 5, on the other hand, I believe could easily be scored a 10-8. What makes it hard for me to do so is the fact that he ref had to separate them for inactivity. Cmon, if you are dominating 10-8 style you aren’t sleeping in the clinch.

Perception changes if it happens at the end opposed to the beginning.

If it happened 20 seconds in and then Robert controlled the rest of the round it would be clear. Happening towards the end gives the feeling that Yoel came closer to finishing.

I had it 3 rounds to 1 going into the fifth. (Was there live, 10 feet from cage) and didnt think the fifth was a 10-8. Rewatched the fifth and still had that round 10-9.

Robert clearly won according to MMA scoring. Yoel clearly won according to common sense, did more damage and almost finished. It's MMA though.

Would like to see a 3rd fight with title fights moving to 7 rounds.

Immediate damage takes precedence over cumulative damage. It's stated in the new scoring criteria. I don't know if Illinois adopted the new rules, I didn't pay attention.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I think that's the way it should be.

Would like to see a 3rd fight with title fights moving to 7 rounds.

Damn 7 rounds. I think Romero might legit collapse at that point. Or have to give up 3-4 rounds just to keep up his gas tank.

Although it could give rise to 6th round Romero...the deadliest of the late round Romeros

Back