Those who know about guns....

noob question
how much of a difference is there between a .22lr and a .223 round
ive heard someone say before a .223 is basically a .22 with some extra oomf but it seems alot bigger to me

The actual bullet in a .223 is only .003 inches larger in diameter than a .22 but with the casing the shell looks a lot larger since it has to have room for a lot more gun powder.

The actual bullet in a .223 is only .003 inches larger in diameter than a .22 but with the casing the shell looks a lot larger since it has to have room for a lot more gun powder.

22Comparison.gif

22lrsignum2233sj.jpg

Have you fired it yet, igordog? Have you fired any type of firearm before?

I haven't fired my new one yet. The last time that I fired a gun, I was probably about 12 years old, and I was camping with my dad, brother, and a bunch of fathers/sons from my football team. I shot a pistol a few times and what I'm pretty sure was a rifle, not a shotgun. I'm 35 now.

Is there a reason you want a shotgun over a handgun? Get what you want but if you want to learn how to shoot and need something for protection then a handgun is far more practical.

Is there a reason you want a shotgun over a handgun? Get what you want but if you want to learn how to shoot and need something for protection then a handgun is far more practical.

Actually, I want both. As I said earlier, (although I haven't done THAT much research on the subject), I understand that getting a pistol permit isn't as easy as it seems in NYS where I live.
Also, and it's been backed up by what I've read here (and other places now), handguns aren't as effective as shotguns when it comes to stopping power.
So, I figured that I'd start out with a shotgun and get comfortable with it, and then look into getting a pistol and pistol permit. I want to take my time when looking for a pistol, and really decide what's best for me.
Any suggestions??? (Pics would be nice since we are in P&M).

I recommend a 1911 .45 caliber pistol. This is my carry:

Or you can go with the super sexy FN 5-7 for when you feel like taking out some terrorists.

fn%205.7%20Millimeter%20Pistol.jpg

What's the point of these pictures? I said that the .223 was only .003 inches larger in diameter. The bullet is significantly longer but really not much wider at all.

I don't think his post was meant to be malicious, just showing visually what you described in text.

What's the point of these pictures? I said that the .223 was only .003 inches larger in diameter. The bullet is significantly longer but really not much wider at all.

Calm down. I was providing pictures to add to your comment.

excellent handguns!

Yeah but you can't get the "real" ammo for it, unless you're in the military or in the police. Civilians are stuck with lesser velocity, non armor piercing, weaker, sporting ammo. Not only it sucks to get stuck with these, but the sporting ammo is expensive and hard to find as well.

So it's a nice handgun, but I'd not buy.

Yeah but you can't get the "real" ammo for it, unless you're in the military or in the police. Civilians are stuck with lesser velocity, non armor piercing, weaker, sporting ammo. Not only it sucks to get stuck with these, but the sporting ammo is expensive and hard to find as well.

So it's a nice handgun, but I'd not buy.

I have been buying Speer Gold Dots for years now 124gr +p. This is the same ammo used by many police. Not sure the meaning of the "real" ammo quote. Is this an issue in your state??? I live in Va. and this issue isnt prevalent.

I have been buying Speer Gold Dots for years now 124gr +p. This is the same ammo used by many police. Not sure the meaning of the "real" ammo quote. Is this an issue in your state??? I live in Va. and this issue isnt prevalent.

I think he was talking about the ammo for the five seven. They only sell 5.7x28 armor piercing ammo to law enforcement and military.

I've seen educated gun discussions on Sherdog before. Sure, there are always these video game kids claiming that they own these $4000 "tacticool" guns but even on the firearms forums they are there.

It's not because we are here that we can't be elsewhere as well. I'm active on 3 different gun forums and I'm active here too, and I'm not alone.

Get off your high horse next time you want to post about something like this.

I think you have a serious problem with reading comprehension.

I don't always play with guns, but when I do.. it's a Browning Cynergy Classic Sporting...

013245l.jpg

I don't always play with guns, but when I do.. it's a Browning Cynergy Classic Sporting...

That's a beauty. I've always wanted a double barrel but goddamn they are expensive.

Back