Those who know about guns....

igordog

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking to get my first gun soon...I'm thinking that I want to get a basic shotgun. Probably just a .12 gauge. I'm just interested in going out and learning how to shoot it properly, shooting things (not living things!!!), having fun with it, and keeping it around for protection.
Tell me what you think I should get, why, and show me some pics please...Thanks.

I would go with a basic Remington 870 Express.....they are very well made, reliable guns that will fulfill all the uses you have described very well...

Dont have a pic for you...google it or something..

you should get an acr.. these things kick ass.. Gunbroker.com has them for around $2300-$3000!! haha

remington_acr2.jpg

The remington 870 or the Mossberg 500 are the standard pump action shotguns. You could get one new for less than 500 dollars. They're also highly customizable, and it can be a lot of fun to mess with your shotgun and make it really badass looking. I'm not going to post picture because I have no idea how and I'm in no mood to learn, but you could head over to a local gun store and I'm sure they'll know a lot more than I do.

If you want a pump action, then your cant go wrong with either a Mossberg or Remington. For a semi auto, Benelli or Beretta by far. I have a Mossberg 500, the reason I choose it was the safety location. I shoot lefty and the tang safety is better to me that the safety on the Remington (which is located on the trigger guard)

Thanks guys...These are interesting so far....

lol @ dumbass who posted a SCAR and said its an ACR....

If you get a hunting shotgun you will be able to shoot thing like trap, clay pigeons, and skeet which is some of the funnest shooting in my book. Now on the other hand if you get a combat shotgun and decide to train for combat scenarios then you are in a whole different level from the hunting shotguns. I know plenty of guys who are great shots with pistols/rifles and terrible with real scenarios of shooting combat shotguns. Most situations involving combat shotguns are close quarter high powered rounds that you just aren't gonna get the real expierience to use that type of weapon by going out to the desert and shooting targets in a wide open field 20-40 yards away.

Now of course they look cooler but if you want to learn how to really use that weapon appropriately its gonna take alot of work and alot of sore shoulders. So the question you should ask yourself is "do i really want this to look and feel like a badass? or do I want to actually learn how to become accurate with this weapon?"

Here's my over under
DSC_0573-1.jpg

but heres some of my pistol that I get ALOT more use out of and are generally all around more fun
DSC_0065.jpg

Check out some of these tips and watch some of the shots he is making to get a feel on how to employ a combat shotgun in real life

the white one is a Stoeger Cougar L 9mm Cabelas edition which comes with the silver Bruniton finish

Mossberg 835 or a Remington 870. You can buy either brand new for $250, and they are both great guns.

Don't listen to people who just tell you what to get. That's idiotic.

You want to identify your POU (philosophy of use), what you're going to be using it for, what you expect from it, how often you'll be using it, etc.

If you want a "combat" shotgun, look into a mossberg 590, remington 870, winchester 1300, Ithaca model 37, etc

A combat shotgun isn't a hunting shotgun.

Look through what models are offered. When people say "get an 870" that is incredibly vague. There are many variations. Look into these models with your POU in mind. Things like weight, stock, sights, choke, barrel length, magazine capacity, tactical options are all things to consider.

start here

Last edited:
LOL @ the dumbass who thinks he knows guns... That is a remington ACR jackass.. HERE is a scar..
20090701_fa9999be339801bcd71f95csM4dvtNH3.jpg

lol @ dumbass who posted a SCAR and said its an ACR....

If you get a hunting shotgun you will be able to shoot thing like trap, clay pigeons, and skeet which is some of the funnest shooting in my book. Now on the other hand if you get a combat shotgun and decide to train for combat scenarios then you are in a whole different level from the hunting shotguns. I know plenty of guys who are great shots with pistols/rifles and terrible with real scenarios of shooting combat shotguns. Most situations involving combat shotguns are close quarter high powered rounds that you just aren't gonna get the real expierience to use that type of weapon by going out to the desert and shooting targets in a wide open field 20-40 yards away.

Now of course they look cooler but if you want to learn how to really use that weapon appropriately its gonna take alot of work and alot of sore shoulders. So the question you should ask yourself is "do i really want this to look and feel like a badass? or do I want to actually learn how to become accurate with this weapon?"

Here's my over under
DSC_0573-1.jpg

but heres some of my pistol that I get ALOT more use out of and are generally all around more fun
DSC_0065.jpg

Back