Thomas Sowell binge watch...

• Thread starter Deleted member 196663
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 196663

Probably behind some of you, but for others, I highly recommend binge watching his videos. Sad I didn't listen of this guy sooner.

I am a huge fan of Thomas Sowell. His interview with Brian Lamb on C-Span is a must watch.

I highly recommend reading Sowell's book A Conflict of Visions.

419FIx-9IQL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Probably behind some of you, but for others, I highly recommend binge watching his videos. Sad I didn't listen of this guy sooner.

Thomas Sowell is brilliant. He understands the big picture and the value of classical wisdom and education, things the progressives hate and have no answer for. Just ordered half dozen books of his to give to idiots just in case there might be some room for free thought, but I'm afeared ideological posesion has left no room for such a possibility.

Edited to add-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qKl3eo7-JOk

This describes the progressives in a nutshell. Someone prove otherwise.

Last edited:
Sowell owning a progressive on feelings education.

thomas sowell is possibly my favorite living thinker

i quote him all the time

edit: why did my av change

Love that guy. Binge watched him about 6 months ago. I think I'll watch his videos again.

Yes, this is excellent. It reeks of classical wisdom/education. If this type of wisdom was still taught idiots wouldn't be out protesting but would be honing themselves and their skills for the opportunities ahead. But instead they've bin turned into victims, crybabies.
The contrast between him and Obama is wider than the Grand Canyon. After a book reading Obama did when answering questions he said if you don't get involved with politics your food stamps might decrease. Oh great vision to give people, can't better yourselves any higher than to become more and more dependent on someone else. Learn a skill?
Exact opposite of Thomas Sowell.

Sowell is a great guy, but over the years he's said some silly things, he said that Obama reminded him of Hitler (hey would you look at that! Conservatives used the Hitler card too and before Dems!) and constantly freaking out over Iran nuking us (even though Israel literally took out a nuclear threat from Iran in their defense policy once the Nuclear Deal was passed) and generally despising the Liberal movement

He's usually one of the most objective people out there and I'm severely disappointed that he stopped writing before Trump became President. I stopped reading his stuff because it was just repetitive, same talking points, whether I agree or not.

A Trump presidency would be a great source of original thoughts because he's not like anything we've seen.

Sowell is a great guy, but over the years he's said some silly things, he said that Obama reminded him of Hitler (hey would you look at that! Conservatives used the Hitler card too and before Dems!)
Context matters, and as Sowell points out, specifics matter as well. Not all comparisons should be taken as equal...
“[M]any today seem to assume that if things are bad, “change” will make them better. Specifics don’t interest them nearly as much as inspiring rhetoric and a confident style. But many 20th-century leaders with inspiring rhetoric and great self-confidence led their followers or their countries into utter disasters. These ranged from Jim Jones who led hundreds to their deaths in Jonestown to Hitler and Mao who led millions to their deaths.”
Paying attention to specifics, he's clearly not saying that Obama "reminded him of Hitler".

He's one of the few anti-Trump people who actually has a mind of his own and a list of coherent reasons. Never screams or falls apart.

Don't agree with him on everything but it's always interesting to soak up the perspectives of someone truly versed and passionate about history instead of a "pundit".

He also ranks Obama as the worst president in US history, I do agree with that and I think once the dust settles most people will.

Last edited:
When he realized the department of labor wasnt vested in finding the truth of laws because it came in conflict with their funding.

I wonder how much of that goes on based on people not wanting to lose their job that funds their 30 year mortgage they just took out.

If you recommend a Thomas Sowell book here, I'd rather go with "Basic Economics", since a lack of knowledge thereof clearly is what lowers the level of most political discussions on a wide range of topics.
If every war room poster or just every citizen read it, we'd have less populist and empty
"I feel we absolutely have to ... "
"it's only fair to... "
"the top one percent has..."
talk, followed by absolutely nothing.
I agree with thread starter and posters, Sowell is a great thinker and can explain things very effectively.

I have read Sowell for I think 25+ years, now. I realize he just retired from his column and what a loss for the general public.
He is a genius, and is able to explain even complex issues to a "regular Joe". Agree with "Basic Economics" as per lecter above and glad you mentioned it, as I have three teens who need to read it.

Back