Thomas Almeida vs Cody Garbrandt: A Look Into Their Fighting Styles

strike thought

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Almeida vs Garbrandt is coming up soon. Thought I’d share my analysis of their styles for those interested in more information about these fighters. Always appreciating the users here who've enjoyed my work.

This is only part 1 of the analysis. I don’t want to overload people’s PC with all the gifs so you can visit part 2 in the link bellow if needed.

Quick summary

Part 1 covers the following (posted below):
  • Thomas Almeida’s offensive style and technique
Part 2 covers the following:
  • Cody Garbrandt’s offensive tools
  • Habits that cause Cody to get hit
  • Habits that cause Almeida to get hit
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offensive Craft of Almeida

lmeida shines from working his offense in the pocket. This often requires that he must be able to get his opponent to stay in the pocket to engage. One of the brighter sides of a fighter who likes spending time in the pocket is that they tend to carry over a variety of skills to deal with an opponent in that range. Almeida has some diversity in offensive options and makes for entertaining viewership, but I narrowed some of his craft down to some of the more common and interesting applications he can be seen applying in fights.

One of the main strategies in Almeida’s craft is to control his opponent’s weapons to prevent them from attacking. He does this in various ways from inside the punching range.

Let’s take a look at this next application where Almeida smothers his opponent’s range, thereby controlling his opponent’s weapons to prevent counters.

almeida-smoother-range-pic1.png

Almeida Smothers the opponent’s lead arm with his to prevent strikes. His chin tucked behind his shoulders.

almeida-and-bhop-smoothering-range.gif

Smother the lead arm, comes back up to attack.

In this sequence, Almeida changes level and smothers the lead arm of his opponent, preventing them from attacking with their lead arm. Almeida also uses his own lead arm as a barrier to block punches from the opponent’s power hand. This is similar to Bernard Hopkins use of smothering the opponent’s effective punching range to deny offense.

Almeida often looks to control their arms to set up attacks. By controlling the arms, he takes away their attack options momentarily to expose other openings. He regularly uses that opportunity to destroy the body.

In this picture, note that Almeida baits the guard up and controls the hand from attacking. Almeida’s rear arm is also up high enough to protect the chin from the opponent’s lead hand.

almeida-body-shot-pic.png

Keeps the opponent’s arms in check and chin tucked behind his arm.

almeida-hand-control-body-shot-comp.gif

Keep the hands in check, kill the body.

He doesn't always goes to the body and has shown a variety of other ways to attack after controlling their posture. He mixes things up and throws leg kicks or uppercuts while controlling their arms.

almeida-leg-kick-out-of-hand-control.gif

Posture control, leg kicks.

almeida-hand-control-uppercut.gif

Posture control, uppercut.
He doesn’t just uses posture control to set up offense, he’s sometimes uses it to end his attacks to ensure they’re tools are in check.

almeida-body-shot-entry-to-smoothering-range.gif

Attacks, ends the attack by controlling their posture.

Another favorite of Almeida’s attacks is the lead elbow. He'll often execute the lead elbow by taking a step forward to smother their range, then he’ll follow up with the power hand.

almeida-elbow-comp-edited.gif

Lead elbow, Power hand.

If you followed Almeida’s career, you’d be familiar the fact that he’s got powerful punches and he throws them with conviction. He won’t shy away from throwing his power. He does this regularly as well by constantly looking to time that simultaneous overhand right or elbow timed perfectly as the opponent advances.

almeida-rear-elbow-comp.gif

Reminiscent of Chris Weidman’s rear elbow knockdown on Mark Munoz.

Level Changing

Almeida utilizes the traditional level changes you see from the typical skill-set of a boxer. He can be seen going for the body to force the opponent to drop their guard, and then move the shot up to the exposed head. He’ll also reverses this process by attacking the head to raise the guard, then going downstairs to the exposed body.

almeida-body-shot-move-up-top.gif

Hit the body, expose the head, attack the head.

almeida-up-top-down-to-the-body.gif

Strike the head, raise the guard to expose the body, attack the body.

At this point, you can get an idea that Almeida uses a variety of offensive options on the inside range. He has the body shot ability, the aggression, the high finish rate, and the style that makes for back and forth exchanges, it’s no wonder he’s become a fan-favorite so fast.

We continue to the rest the piece in Part 2 where I reveal a glimpse of Garbrandt’s craft and finally shed some light about the openings in their game and how they get caught with strikes.
Part 2 here:
https://strikingthoughtssite.wordpr...-look-into-their-fighting-styles-part-2-of-2/

Last edited:
I like that slight overhead. It's great for a ducking or shorter opponent.

I'm sure this took you longer than it took Frankie to get a title shot

WOW! Niiice analisys! I was already impressed by Thomas, after your explanation, his striking looks even better ( and I would say artistic!)

Edit:

Just read the part II. I had this feeling that Thomas give a lot of opening due his agressive style, it helped to have a technical look about it. It gets me more excited about his fights, he is not afraid of taking risks

Really thanks for the post. I'm trying to understand more the technical of striking and your analysis helped me a lot.

Last edited:
I realy am confident that Almeidas creativity will be too mych for Cody but I hope he wont run into a bomb of Cody
Almeida by TKO round 2

Thanks for the breakdown TS know it was time consuming. Very interesting clash of styles here, really looking forward to this fight.

Very cool breakdown, don't be surprised to see Florian use some of it.

@strike thought, thanks for the excellent analysis/gifs. Very interesting read that makes me more excited for the fight. I'm not a striker, so this is very informative, too.

Very well done TS.

And man...that overhand elbow is lethal...wow.

Great breakdown TS, thanks for taking the time. Off to read pt.2

I feel like I can't find a very obvious link to part two.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, very entertaining read. I'm favoring Almeida to win but it won't surprise me if either guy gets a round 1 or 2 TKO or KO.

I think Garbrandt is getting overlooked here. Easily some of the best boxing in the division.

This is kind of a boxer vs muay thai fighter but both nevertheless are very capable strikers.

WOW! Niiice analisys! I was already impressed by Thomas, after your explanation, his striking looks even better ( and I would say artistic!)

Edit:

Just read the part II. I had this feeling that Thomas give a lot of opening due his agressive style, it helped to have a technical look about it. It gets me more excited about his fights, he is not afraid of taking risks

Really thanks for the post. I'm trying to understand more the technical of striking and your analysis helped me a lot.

Thanks for reading it man. I enjoy doing my work for audiences who enjoy this stuff.

Great breakdown! Almeidas boxing is fantastic

Thanks for the breakdown TS know it was time consuming. Very interesting clash of styles here, really looking forward to this fight.

It was very time-consuming. But worth it if the MMA community gains something out of it. Thanks for reading.

This is going to be a very fun fight to watch, good matchmaking!

How do you rate Almeidas takedown defense? Do you think Cody can take him down?

Last edited:
Back