This video show what is wrong with kung fu

lol.
Dude was Chinese tho...

I guess that an Asian that speaks perfect English is a white devil himself
and a traitor :p

his footwork was great. They do this weird circular footwork that constantly has them going outside your peripheral vision, which was intimidating. He also did iron body. What i mean by that is I caught him with a spinning back kick and it felt like hitting a wall, and he had crazy conditioned knuckles. He had good straight punches, stepping with each punch and putting his foot down hard like in boxing. He hit very hard. He had some nice upper body take downs aswell. Evidently he did other other arts aswell.
Wondering about the kick - did he step into the kick (close the distance before your leg was extended) or did he just take it head on? Since closing the distance like that is something I've seen Kung Fu guys do even with punches to take the power out of shots.

Wondering about the kick - did he step into the kick (close the distance before your leg was extended) or did he just take it head on? Since closing the distance like that is something I've seen Kung Fu guys do even with punches to take the power out of shots.
you mean he stepped in and kind of made it a push kick instead? I think I caught him pretty good. I've dropped people with it before. he actually outside cresent kicked me in the head when we first started sparring. Thankfully we were going light lol.

you mean he stepped in and kind of made it a push kick instead? I think I caught him pretty good. I've dropped people with it before. he actually outside cresent kicked me in the head when we first started sparring. Thankfully we were going light lol.
Well, yes. I was looking for a vid where a Shaolin monk asks some white dude to punch him hard and then steps into every punch so that it stops half way, obviously losing a lot of power. Thought your guy did the same with your kick.

I guess he was just tough then. Body conditioning is a good thing.

his footwork was great. They do this weird circular footwork that constantly has them going outside your peripheral vision, which was intimidating. He also did iron body. What i mean by that is I caught him with a spinning back kick and it felt like hitting a wall, and he had crazy conditioned knuckles. He had good straight punches, stepping with each punch and putting his foot down hard like in boxing. He hit very hard. He had some nice upper body take downs aswell. Evidently he did other other arts aswell.
Yeah the body conditioning sounds more like a Shaolin type training. The guy I pretty much ruined my hip with who I trained up with for his Shodan test is a USMC combat vet who started out deployed in Okinawa. He's got those walnut knuckles and toes from training authentic Go Ju and Okinawan Kempo. I think I've mentioned this before those guys calcify the bones in there feet, hands, knees, elbows, shins and forarms plus take constant body shots and wooded staff hits for the Japanese version of Iron shirt conditioning. The downside is that in his 40's he's riddled with arthritis and has limited range of motion in all of his joints.
Another instructor I had was 10 years older also a combat vet from the late Vietnam era who trained tai Chi and Ba Gua after his tour and mustered out. Like u experienced he can move into your Shikaku-in Japanese, blind spot-incredibly quickly while establishing throwing grip. The thing about those "soft" arts is the focus on low stances to build long stepping movement capability. The lower you can solidly stand the farther you can step out with your leg and travel a farther distance. One of the advantages he pointed out is you can pull opponents of balance more and blend into throws with more momentum. Even in his 60's he could launch me like guys in there 20's in drills and score ippon almost at will in randori.

It sounds like the guy you sparred with trained both those concepts and added the contact sparring. Devastating combination that would be eye opening to train under. Both Dave and Tom taught and drilled concepts outside the norm of American perspective. Including that into my passed striking training at the time would have been awesome!

Some day the MMA and full contact community will "discover" the body mechanics and specialized strength training with fluid and relaxed density concepts of those arts and add them into the required nuts and bolts full contact sparring/randori/rolling required to be competitive.

That's why I always harp about that guy Tim Cartmell. He's done that with Tai Chi/Ba Gua and BJJ!

Yeah the body conditioning sounds more like a Shaolin type training. The guy I pretty much ruined my hip with who I trained up with for his Shodan test is a USMC combat vet who started out deployed in Okinawa. He's got those walnut knuckles and toes from training authentic Go Ju and Okinawan Kempo. I think I've mentioned this before those guys calcify the bones in there feet, hands, knees, elbows, shins and forarms plus take constant body shots and wooded staff hits for the Japanese version of Iron shirt conditioning. The downside is that in his 40's he's riddled with arthritis and has limited range of motion in all of his joints.
Another instructor I had was 10 years older also a combat vet from the late Vietnam era who trained tai Chi and Ba Gua after his tour and mustered out. Like u experienced he can move into your Shikaku-in Japanese, blind spot-incredibly quickly while establishing throwing grip. The thing about those "soft" arts is the focus on low stances to build long stepping movement capability. The lower you can solidly stand the farther you can step out with your leg and travel a farther distance. One of the advantages he pointed out is you can pull opponents of balance more and blend into throws with more momentum. Even in his 60's he could launch me like guys in there 20's in drills and score ippon almost at will in randori.

It sounds like the guy you sparred with trained both those concepts and added the contact sparring. Devastating combination that would be eye opening to train under. Both Dave and Tom taught and drilled concepts outside the norm of American perspective. Including that into my passed striking training at the time would have been awesome!

Some day the MMA and full contact community will "discover" the body mechanics and specialized strength training with fluid and relaxed density concepts of those arts and add them into the required nuts and bolts full contact sparring/randori/rolling required to be competitive.

That's why I always harp about that guy Tim Cartmell. He's done that with Tai Chi/Ba Gua and BJJ!
yea everything you said sounds pretty spot on. He was really into stance work and creating a strong base. One drill he had me do was walk backwards on a tread mill. When I think about it all the stuff that works from karate,tkd, and kung fu are pretty straight forward. It would be cool to see the more complex and soft stuff being used. Machida used to do some stuff with trips that I enjoyed.

Some just say to double leg a guy holding a knife?you people really bank hard on knifers not tucking their chins.

Back