This is why you all need to STFU before a fight

False equivalency. This was a professional boxing match, and we have no absolutely no basis for speculating that either fighter wasn't trying to win - it has nothing to do with your scenario. The 'context' you are referring to is just pure conjecture - people are taking as if they know what was going on in Floyd's mind. I'm not here to speculate about why Floyd or Conor performed the way they did, I just find it ridiculous that people are so sure of a constructed narrative that may or may not be true.

People can believe what they want to believe, and this thread is a testament to people's stubborn refusal to believe anything other than what they want to believe. But people are entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts.

Great, so you're admitting context matters.

Can we lock this roflcopter of a thread?

False equivalency. This was a professional boxing match, and we have no absolutely no basis for speculating that either fighter wasn't trying to win - it has nothing to do with your scenario. The 'context' you are referring to is just pure conjecture - people are taking as if they know what was going on in Floyd's mind. I'm not here to speculate about why Floyd or Conor performed the way they did, I just find it ridiculous that people are so sure of a constructed narrative that may or may not be true.

People can believe what they want to believe, and this thread is a testament to people's stubborn refusal to believe anything other than what they want to believe. But people are entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts.

and your "facts" are being used to heavily insinuate something that didn't happen. you and a few others are suggesting that conor put up a better fight vs floyd than other great fighters he faced before, insinuating conor is on par or better than those guys.

floyd threw almost no punches at conor in the rounds that conor won. fact.

floyd walked conor down and fought him toe to toe. fact.

floyd didn't fight other fighters toe to toe. fact.

floyd beat the piss out of him in the last two rounds, and stopped him. fact.

floyd didn't stop mosley, canelo, pacquiao. fact.

but you choose to ignore all those facts and focus on the punch count statistic, as if it paints an absolute picture about how the fight went. and being selective with facts is far worse than conjecture, speculation, opinion.

Yes he did but he beat other professional boxers easier than he did Conor, that's all

You're right.

Connor fought the oldest version of Mayweather who was coming out of retirement and he didn't get KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT until round ten. So technically he did survive longer then some of the other guys Floyd knocked out like a decade ago a a little bit faster.

Good for him!

Sure Connor was 25 pounds bigger and 11 years younger and swore for months he'd knock Floyd out in 4 rounds or less but none of that matters in the end because all these shitty people who thought Connor would win have decided that somehow just surviving until the second half of the fight is a morale victory which is hilarious coming from a pile of idiots that obviously have no morals at all.

So this is for all you Connor is too big and too fast and too awkward and his Death Touch left hand will probably end Floyd's life people who now think getting stopped on his feet is some kind of great accomplishment.

Kia-Trophy-Commercial-620x435.jpg

Like OP said to start this train wreck of a thread...

Floyd destroys no one, instead, as us who at some point have boxed or know the sport said, Conor will be competitive until he gets tired and almost falls down on his own.

I am proud of Conor, the guy did not embarrass himself.

Which makes it BEYOND obvious he just wants to discredit one guy and give extra credit to the other. Connor apparently takes no blame for having shit cardio and Floyd gets no credit for sapping his cardio and knocking him out. Connor "almost falls down on his own" because he's tired but he takes no blame for it so we should all be proud. And all the shots Floyd landed and took had no effect at all on Connor's cardio. It was just a fucking happenstance that Connor got tired around the same time Floyd punched his face in for two straight rounds.

Maybe Connor embarrassed himself and maybe he didn't but the OP sure embarrassed the hell out of himself with this thread.

Did he really, when you consider his game plan?

In fairness to Conor, I think this guy was a little easier.

Another early stoppage. Refs always on Mayweather's side.

Floyd probably all hopped up on IVs too.

He looks like an early UFC guy without pajama pants.

and your "facts" are being used to heavily insinuate something that didn't happen. you and a few others are suggesting that conor put up a better fight vs floyd than other great fighters he faced before, insinuating conor is on par or better than those guys.

floyd threw almost no punches at conor in the rounds that conor won. fact.

floyd walked conor down and fought him toe to toe. fact.

floyd didn't fight other fighters toe to toe. fact.

floyd beat the piss out of him in the last two rounds, and stopped him. fact.

floyd didn't stop mosley, canelo, pacquiao. fact.

but you choose to ignore all those facts and focus on the punch count statistic, as if it paints an absolute picture about how the fight went. and being selective with facts is far worse than conjecture, speculation, opinion.

You are attributing motivations to me that do not exist - I have not articulated any of my opinions on the fight in this thread. I simply questioned why someone was laughing at a factual statement.

You are also being selective with your facts and presenting a one-sided narrative. No mention that Conor was making his professional boxing debut vs a top 5 ATG in a 12 round fight. Most guys debut against garbage collectors in 4-round fights. Kind of important to note that when assessing his performance, don't you think?

I'm simply enjoying the mental distress Conor performaning better than expected is causing many of you, and the belief that if you come on an internet and shout a narrative loud enough, it will change what actually happened.

You are attributing motivations to me that do not exist - I have not articulated any of my opinions on the fight in this thread. I simply questioned why someone was laughing at a factual statement.

You are also being selective with your facts and presenting a one-sided narrative. No mention that Conor was making his professional boxing debut vs a top 5 ATG in a 12 round fight. Most guys debut against garbage collectors in 4-round fights. Kind of important to note that when assessing his performance, don't you think?

I'm simply enjoying the mental distress Conor performaning better than expected is causing many of you, and the belief that if you come on an internet and shout a narrative loud enough, it will change what actually happened.

Kinda like the narrative about Connor's having done better than expected ?

Kinda like the narrative about Connor's having done better than expected ?

Floyd himself said Conor was better than he anticipated, and many are taking Floyd's word as gospel here. Did you think Conor would win rounds and land that many punches? I didn't. I think it's pretty uncontroversial to say that among the vast majority of boxing fans, he did better than expected.

Everyone shitted on Floyd for not being able to finish.

Dude literally beat Conor up like it was his ex girl.

Floyd himself said Conor was better than he anticipated, and many are taking Floyd's word as gospel here. Did you think Conor would win rounds and land that many punches? I didn't. I think it's pretty uncontroversial to say that among the vast majority of boxing fans, he did better than expected.

Floyd is basically always nice to his opponents after he's done with them. Most boxing fans anticipated that Floyd would show some ring rust, assess his man in the first few minutes, them tear him apart. Many also pointed out how Connor's stamina would be a factor. This side of Conor's chin holding on decently as he got tagged with Floyd's fragile hands, the way the fight unfolded was hardly a surprise to anyone knowing a bit about boxing.

On second thought Floyd's decision to stick to what he had said and walk McGregor down was also kind of unpredictable, while having little to do with Connor. It certainly helped Connor'd punching stats, the 111 shots he has landed were also due to Floyd's lack of respect for the power he felt early on.

A lot of the debate about whether if McGregor did better than expected or not has to do with all the MMA vs boxing rant. Putting it aside for a second :

- I think Floyd clearly showed he has dropped a notch. He's certainly well aware of it and won't fight anymore, as his edge over other quality 147 pounders is gone. To me the fight adds nothing to his mystique this side of the 50 and his ability to carry one hell of a 6-pack at 40 (I know what I'm talking about).
- I give credit to Connor for not coming out swinging like an idiot, having tried to box and not having taken an easy way out (DQ or quit), as I thought could happen when it would become clear that he was doomed.
- Connor has the boxing basics and athleticism. He can set a distance, use the jab, and mix up his offense a bit. It's not bad, while not leaps and bounds above expectations. He obviously wasn't as out of his element as the bareknuckle English dude that Bert Cooper smashed like a bug.
- However, his stamina issues, combined with his trouble sustaining a good defense over time (hands, footwork, head movement), his lack of boxing moving backwards, his obvious lack of skill in the boxing clich and his not-so-impressive punching power with bigger gloves make it very unlikely that he can beat a decent pro boxer at 154.
- These guys won't be rusty, have stamina and hit much harder than Floyd. So I sincerely hope Connor enjoys the money and goes back to the UFC. Of course, a Paulie fight would be different as the guy just can't punch, but I'm fairly sure a well-prepared Malignaggi would beat Connor 118-100 or so.

Just my honnest 2 cents, all flaming wars put aside.

Floyd is basically always nice to his opponents after he's done with them. Most boxing fans anticipated that Floyd would show some ring rust, assess his man in the first few minutes, them tear him apart. Many also pointed out how Connor's stamina would be a factor. This side of Conor's chin holding on decently as he got tagged with Floyd's fragile hands, the way the fight unfolded was hardly a surprise to anyone knowing a bit about boxing.

On second thought Floyd's decision to stick to what he had said and walk McGregor down was also kind of unpredictable, while having little to do with Connor. It certainly helped Connor'd punching stats, the 111 shots he has landed were also due to Floyd's lack of respect for the power he felt early on.

A lot of the debate about whether if McGregor did better than expected or not has to do with all the MMA vs boxing rant. Putting it aside for a second :

- I think Floyd clearly showed he has dropped a notch. He's certainly well aware of it and won't fight anymore, as his edge over other quality 147 pounders is gone. To me the fight adds nothing to his mystique this side of the 50 and his ability to carry one hell of a 6-pack at 40 (I know what I'm talking about).
- I give credit to Connor for not coming out swinging like an idiot, having tried to box and not having taken an easy way out (DQ or quit), as I thought could happen when it would become clear that he was doomed.
- Connor has the boxing basics and athleticism. He can set a distance, use the jab, and mix up his offense a bit. It's not bad, while not leaps and bounds above expectations. He obviously wasn't as out of his element as the bareknuckle English dude that Bert Cooper smashed like a bug.
- However, his stamina issues, combined with his trouble sustaining a good defense over time (hands, footwork, head movement), his lack of boxing moving backwards, his obvious lack of skill in the boxing clich and his not-so-impressive punching power with bigger gloves make it very unlikely that he can beat a decent pro boxer at 154.
- These guys won't be rusty, have stamina and hit much harder than Floyd. So I sincerely hope Connor enjoys the money and goes back to the UFC. Of course, a Paulie fight would be different as the guy just can't punch, but I'm fairly sure a well-prepared Malignaggi would beat Connor 118-100 or so.

Just my honnest 2 cents, all flaming wars put aside.

I don't actually disagree with most that, but I will point out that the first sentence is part of the disjointed, cognitively dissonant narrative that a lot of people on this thread are trying to weave - mainly that we know Floyd let Conor land as much as he did because he said his strategy was to have Conor tire out (and those two things are not exactly the same thing either), but we can't believe Floyd when he says Conor was better than he thought he would be. People just pick and choose what they want to believe.

In regards to Conor's punching power - that was always just part of the narrative to sell the fight, as if Floyd was coming up against Earnie Shavers. Even for MMA, he has good power, but it's not amazing. His clean KOs over guys like Aldo and Poirier were as much about accuracy as they were about power, a lot of his other stoppages were about combos and volume, and he couldn't put Diaz away despite landing on him a ton in both fights. It is unsurprising that it didn't trouble an ATG boxer with a good chin.

I agree that even a shot Paulie would be too much for Conor, but I was impressed with Conor's performance.

i never liked floyd but he does have his good points and one of those is being respectful to opponents when a fight is over, he also said Pac was the best he fought, which couldn't really be true but it's a nice thing to say. I still think Mayweather just let conor do wanted to let him do and could have ended it pretty much any time. I think he held back, didn't fight too defensively and closed the show when he figured it was enough. It's not easy to fight like that, it's not easy to carry people, believe me, i stopped sparring guys because the experience level of the guys i was around was just never really that deep and so, it would be wrong to hurt these guys and i felt it was wrong to let myself just be defensless against them. You ever play with a little kid? they get carried away, poke you in the eyes, bite you, and because you are the adult, you let them get away with it? but, it still hurts and unless you want to whip their little asses you let em get away with it. that's what it's like dealing with inexperienced, clutzy, stiff fighters. It's not fun, floyd did what he could, made sure no one bitched about getting ripped off by how uncompetitive it was and he won. floyd hasn'[t said that but Jeff has.

I don't actually disagree with most that, but I will point out that the first sentence is part of the disjointed, cognitively dissonant narrative that a lot of people on this thread are trying to weave - mainly that we know Floyd let Conor land as much as he did because he said his strategy was to have Conor tire out (and those two things are not exactly the same thing either), but we can't believe Floyd when he says Conor was better than he thought he would be. People just pick and choose what they want to believe.

In this specific case it's not about cognitive dissonance.

One the one hand, his implementing this strategy was fairly obvious just watching at the fight. On the other hand, based on experience, Floyd does respect his opponents after he's done with them. We don't even need to bring speculation about his caring about his legacy, hence the necessity to make this fight a worthy challenge to deserve the 50-0 mark. Because he just said what he always says in similar contexts.

In regards to Conor's punching power - that was always just part of the narrative to sell the fight, as if Floyd was coming up against Earnie Shavers. Even for MMA, he has good power, but it's not amazing. His clean KOs over guys like Aldo and Poirier were as much about accuracy as they were about power, a lot of his other stoppages were about combos and volume, and he couldn't put Diaz away despite landing on him a ton in both fights. It is unsurprising that it didn't trouble an ATG boxer with a good chin.

I agree that even a shot Paulie would be too much for Conor, but I was impressed with Conor's performance.
mma fans are delusional, mma fighters have had over twenty years to develop good boxing and they still look like conor, no way in hell would conor have hurt floyd and it's even possible that the heavyweight ufc champ wouldn't hurt floyd, that's how bad their boxing is. the fans who paid for this fight were had, i only wished i had a house to bet on it.

I just watched sugar ray leonard vs. bruce finch, god ray looked totally bored in that fight, like he knew the guy couldn't do anything to him, let him hit him, let him win the first round, and even said that finch hurt him worse than hearns and duran, you can't take that kind of talk seriously. He sure got him out of there without really even trying, strange fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back