This is why physical copies are always superior than digital downloads

Nooob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stories like this is the reason why I will never buy digital games in PS store.

This is the nightmare scenario of Uplay, Steam, PSN, Bethesda, Origin, etc accounts. You log in one day and your account is gone. Their support team claims you never had an account and what happens if these platforms crashes and gets wiped one day? You’ll never recover your account.

I never held on to more than a handful of physical games anyway. Obviously if this happened to me it would suck, but the reality is that I would lose only a few games that I intended to play. I get why this would make some people nervous, but I doubt I'm alone in not being too worried about it. I still prefer not having to spend the storage space on physical media.

wouldn’t be surprised if EA had some DLC to recover your account

Didn't read. But yeah, I like to have physical cases, because I guess it looks a little nicer lol, and you can always sell them if you need quick money. I will buy cases and discs for as long as I can, I hope the PS5 won't have all digital downloads and games. It will be the end of an era if this happens.

I'll never go full digital if that's the future digital only I'm out

This is very disturbing. Their response was totally childish and not helpful at all. If he has receipts/bank statements for CD keys than I don't understand why they don't just give him the games. they can trace the keys back, and if they don't belong to anyone combined with the fact that they don't really lose anything when allowing someone to redownload a file. Seems like EA is asking for more bad press.

I also really hate that EVERY fucking company now has to have their own resource gobbling, privacy stealing, no sale having launcher.

It sucks with PC, so hard to get actual physical copies of every game, and you still have to go through their garbage launcher anyways.

If its not offered through 3rd parties then they don't want my money.

Bethesda has hinted that all of their future games starting with FO 76 will be exclusively via their launcher on PC. I also heard like all things Bethesda, it's buggy AF.

TES is my favorite series of all time, but if the only way to play it is through a first party launcher, than I am done with the series.

I wonder if he lost his info because of a gdpr request. I wonder, because I have no idea what I am talking about.

I was the same as you OP. I never wanted to buy digital. I like the look of a physical library and had shitty internet so reinstalling most of the game off of a disc is faster. But games are becoming just way to expensive. 80 Canadian for a new game and seasons passes for 50 or single dlc packs for 15-20. No fucking way man. Also I upgraded my internet so now downloading is way faster.

My new method of buying games is just to wait a year for game after release for the GOTY editions which are like 30-40 bucks is the way to go. I only buy physical on Boxing day or Black Friday.

RDR2 is the only new physical game I am buying this year.

Also with game pass becoming more relevant I don't have to plop down 80 bucks to play Forza Horizon 4.

Its an unknown if what this person says is true. Yet since EA is on the other end most observers will immediately side with the poster.

I'll never go full digital if that's the future digital only I'm out

Oh', it's the future alright, and it's even worse than simply downloading full games onto your hard drive. Just wait until streaming services for games becomes the norm. You won't own shit.

People can steal physical copies from your house. They can also break or get scratched. Digital obviously doesn't have this problem. Yes, insurance can cover physical objects, but insurance companies can be even worse to deal with thane likes of EA.

There are pros and cons to both.

I prefer the ease of digital. Not to mention it creates less waste, which is better for the environment.

This particular case is the only time I've ever heard of this happening to anybody. For me digital is worth the "risk" because I've lost physical games, borrowed them out to people and never returned, discs scratched and unplayable....many different reasons why physical games I've bought are no longer playable. This has never happened to a single digital purchase for me.

Then there's also the convenience of not having to change out / find the disc for the other game you want to play. I just pop into my games on my console and there's every single game I own.

I get email receipts for all my transactions and use paypal to buy most of them as well. So there are 2 e trails there. I primarily use Steam, I use Origin only a little bit. Don't play on console anymore, if you got the cash for a dope rig, pc is the way to go imo.

I never liked digital back in the day when I was playing consoles, but now it's so convenient, I don't need discs, don';t need to worry about storage and I can just download whatever I want to my pc and redownload anytime I time I want, before if you scratched the disc you were fucked, not anymore. I wouldn't want to go back.

Ea puts out good games, but I don't like them as a company. Apparently they are deuchebags to work for as well.

At this point it also takes me less time to download a game, even a large one, than it would to drive to the store, get someone to open the display case, get rung up, and then drive home. The only exceptions to that are very large games like Doom/The Witcher 3/Gears of War 4. Those are rare though. Plus while I'm waiting to finish a download I can be doing anything around the house that needs to get done.

This is the nightmare scenario of Uplay, Steam, PSN, Bethesda, Origin, etc accounts. You log in one day and your account is gone. Their support team claims you never had an account and what happens if these platforms crashes and gets wiped one day? You’ll never recover your account.

Unfortunately, physical copies won't be very useful either in this case, because there is this unspeakably disgusting trend of forcing people to basically download a patch half the size of the game to be able to properly play it nowadays.

Thank hashem i have such a huge pile of shame of actual physical games of past console generations that i would probably never run out of shit to play for the rest of my life regardless of that horrible trend that we should definitely fight.

People can steal physical copies from your house. They can also break or get scratched. Digital obviously doesn't have this problem. Yes, insurance can cover physical objects, but insurance companies can be even worse to deal with thane likes of EA.

I prefer the ease of digital. Not to mention it creates less waste, which is better for the environment.

Agree with this. I have 3 physical copies for my PS4 and they’re all missing. It is my fault, but I’m bummed I didn’t just buy digital. If I was a collector of video games, I would take much better care, but I’m not. I just buy to play, could care less about a nice rack of games. I do collect fight sticks though.

I really only buy digital if it's the last resort or for PC (since CD cases are kinda ugly and my current laptop doesn't even have a CD drive).

I love displaying my game cases out near by console - even if they are old games I don't play anymore. It's like displaying books on a bookshelf (which is why I'll likely never get a Kindle), except not as cultured lol

How fucking often is shit getting stolen or damaged in your home???

I don't know about you or the first responder, but ive had my games functional and in tact since the Nintendo days.

the problem is not the digital copies its EA customers service being completely useless

Fun story:
Many years ago my Steam account was permanently disabled for no apparent reason. I hadn't been hacking, or harassing anyone, or... well, doing anything wrong at all. Valve just permanently deleted it and I lost literally every game that I owned. I tried pleading with their support team to re-open my account, but it was to no avail.

This was at least 10 years ago, maybe even as far back as 15 years, but I'd be lying if I were to say it doesn't still bother me to this day.

Back