This is what Chael was trying to do from the back.

Just because it's a legit technique doesn't mean it was wise to attempt it in that situation.

I knew exactly what he was going for but had no idea why he thought he had a chance of pulling that off on fedor lol
I mean, Chael isn't exactly known for making sound choices during fights.

That's exactly why I posted it here. A disgustingly huge number of comments after the fight were "experts" assuring people that Chael wasn't doing a real move because they've never seen it before and was likely throwing the fight.

People in the grappling forum are probably spreading informed opinions.
Yup. Between himself, Big John, and having trained, it was well explained what was tried and why it was tried. He felt that anything else he tried was going to put him in a rough position as he was losing position, so he went with something he thought might catch Fedor with by surprise. Every time he got a good position he kind of bounced off of Fedor, and I don't know if he really expected that to happen. Not to mention he'd gotten hit with some hammers that he'd normally have already tapped from.

That looks like a risky technique to try without the gi.

Probably easier to do with a Gi maybe? I haven't practised it. Kind of stupid though when you already have the back.

You don't have the hooks in. That's when you do this. The technique is to stick your chest into your opponent's upper back and force his forehead onto the mat, lock in the forearm under the neck/on the chin, put your other hand through under his armpit and clasp your hands together. Then you spring off your feet and roll forward, never straighten up towards the end like Chael did, but keep your body curved up as if it was stuck to your opponent.
If there's a point in time where your chest comes off his back mid-roll, you are guaranteed to lose it unless you significantly outweight your opponent and can muscle him into it. (eg. if Chael was trying this on Max Holloway it might have worked).

What I would have done is just control the wrists, keep my body weight steadily ontop of him and work just enough to keep the ref from getting us up and keep him from trying to explode from underneath. Kind of like Miocic Ngannou.

I mean, Chael isn't exactly known for making sound choices during fights.
I remember seeing him warm up for the second Silva fight and practicing that spinning backfist. I though to myself “no way he tries that in the fight” and sure enough lol

He had a momentary lapse and thought he was athletic.

I know what he was trying doing, just not sure why he did it. Fedor size compared to Chael makes that move bad. In the demo video you can see the other guy is a tad bit smaller.

Chael should have stuck with the fundamentals.

lots of dipshits on these forums pretending to be experts. Please keep this bumped so they can all learn something.

Thanks to @loyalyolayal

Yeah and this is a roll to a kneebar.

eJaB7va.gif

Both were equally close to succeding

It wasn't tight enough and I think he posted on his head instead of tucking his head for the roll.

Edit: yeah, he drove his own spine into the canvas. His head was too far to the side, as well. It was out by Fedor's shoulder, but it should have been right beside Fedor's head so it could tuck into the space between his head and shoulder.

InfiniteUnconsciousHermitcrab-size_restricted.gif
looks like he rolled the wrong way.

Whatever he was doing most it looked ridiculous but I never thought it was werk while watching it and don't now.
I just think Sonnen is that terrible, relatively speaking. I can't believe people can't see that.
He's a rent-a-heavy bag with a decent 1-2 combo at times that talks shit and charges a decent rate. He does game plan well considering he doesn't have much to work with.

He hits a major dollar demographic, good looking white early middle age guy with the gift of gab.
If he was a Somali w/ a lazy eye and everything else was the same you think he'd be fighting Fedor...lol.

Fedor must have the patience of Job to put up with nonsense like this. Hopefully dat check fat.

Chael talked about it post fight. He said he used to hit that move all the time in college and that he always nailed it but didn't this time. He said he was going to lose the position anyways because he was sliding forward and figured Fedor would explode out the back, so he went to this move, but it didn't work out. He also said he felt he was OK during the final GNP sequence before the stoppage a d said he felt like Fedor was starting to tire and his punches we're slowing down. He thought he was having a "rope a dope" type moment to allow Fedor to gas himself out, but it backfired when the fight was stopped.

Whatever he was doing most it looked ridiculous but I never thought it was werk while watching it and don't now.
I just think Sonnen is that terrible, relatively speaking. I can't believe people can't see that.
He's a rent-a-heavy bag with a decent 1-2 combo at times that talks shit and charges a decent rate. He does game plan well considering he doesn't have much to work with.

He hits a major dollar demographic, good looking white early middle age guy with the gift of gab.
If he was a Somali w/ a lazy eye and everything else was the same you think he'd be fighting Fedor...lol.

Fedor must have the patience of Job to put up with nonsense like this. Hopefully dat check fat.

I don't think that's a fair analysis of Chael as a fighter. He's definitely not the most skilled, however he has very strong wrestling, an excellent chin, good cardio and tenacity, and always shows up on weight and ready to fight.

I knew exactly what he was going for but had no idea why he thought he had a chance of pulling that off on fedor lol
To become a legend in case somehow it worked ;-)

Back