This is what Chael was trying to do from the back.

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
lots of dipshits on these forums pretending to be experts. Please keep this bumped so they can all learn something.

Thanks to @loyalyolayal

Makes sense. I was wondering why he postured like that

Desperation. He knew he was fucked the moment he felt Fedors strength.

Thanks brother. I wanted to know what the hell Sonnen was trying with stupid front flip.

I knew exactly what he was going for but had no idea why he thought he had a chance of pulling that off on fedor lol

Better than his spinning backfist attempt against Anderson.

Impossible to do if you are concussed.

TerrificDiscreteGreathornedowl-size_restricted.gif

Chael has delusions of grandeur. He also thought he could land a spinning back fist on Anderson Silva.

Why didn’t it work?

It wasn't tight enough and I think he posted on his head instead of tucking his head for the roll.

Edit: yeah, he drove his own spine into the canvas. His head was too far to the side, as well. It was out by Fedor's shoulder, but it should have been right beside Fedor's head so it could tuck into the space between his head and shoulder.

InfiniteUnconsciousHermitcrab-size_restricted.gif

Why didn’t it work?

The key is getting their forehead on the mat before beginning the roll, this gets their bodyweight forward and almost encourages them to start the roll themselves. If the head is up, like Fedor’s was, the weight transfers onto the forearms, which is a very strong and stable position and the roll is damn near impossible.

I think his intentions were clear on what he was trying to do, the attempt wasn't even close and he had Fedor's back, why give up that position for such a ridiculous attempt?

it seems like a high risk low reward technique for mma

I think John told what he was trying to do when he tried it. Then Chael also said what was he trying.

How much did Chael think Fedor weighed on fight night? Good job he didn't have a good grip on Fedor, he'd have done his back in.
I think it was a panic YouTube move.

Probably easier to do with a Gi maybe? I haven't practised it. Kind of stupid though when you already have the back.

The key is getting their forehead on the mat before beginning the roll, this gets their bodyweight forward and almost encourages them to start the roll themselves. If the head is up, like Fedor’s was, the weight transfers onto the forearms, which is a very strong and stable position and the roll is damn near impossible.
Also you have to pressure your opponents head down with your shoulder as you put your weight on him and your own forehead to the mat. Garry Tonon showed exactly what happens when you don’t as he showed a slight variation of this move. It looked just like Sonnen’s roll, haha.

Back