this is kudo

news-061615d-lg.jpg

I really like Kudo. As a one off all round self defence art, only MMA and Combat Sambo are as good.
My son was training in MT until they closed down their kids class, so now I have the option of taking him down to Kudo or Kyokushin which arnt too far away. The lad also does BJJ so I think Kudo along with BJJ should see him set.

That's a shame, but not really unexpected... When you see what mistakes big organization do, and that some wrong decision can destroy them in one night. UFC was on the bring of closing a few times in the early days... And some times, it was luck that saved them, or at least circumstances that was not really in their control..
I know also that in France, the judo organization has huge power over the sports federations. It's my understanding that they are the one responsible for making ground and pound illegal, not allowing MMA to have tournaments... Don't know if they had any part, but the people in charge may not have it as easy as for other styleS.

I could see that tournament develop into a proper style... Don't really know the Karate world and if that's a possibility, but with the popularity of MMA, it could gain some love from people wanting to mix those two world... Is there any style of karate that close to MMA? I mean during official tournaments, not just in classes.

PS: Sorry @shincheckin for hijacking your thread...

Kakuto karate Koi no takinobori ryu. In this very limited style there are tournaments, but I find it hard to find the videos.

Sparring:

Tournament:

Kakuto karate Koi no takinobori ryu. In this very limited style there are tournaments, but I find it hard to find the videos.

This style has a really interesting method of grading.
In order to take a belt, you need to win or atleast place high (depending on the grade) in a full contact tournament of another style/art.
The higher the belt, the higher the tournament level. Some belts require you to win or get into top 4 or so in national or international championships.

Their own tournaments seems like a receipt for disaster, though.

Its a offshot from kyokushin, ofcourse.

Sparring:

Tournament:

This style has a really interesting method of grading.
In order to take a belt, you need to win or atleast place high (depending on the grade) in a full contact tournament of another style/art.
The higher the belt, the higher the tournament level. Some belts require you to win or get into top 4 or so in national or international championships.

Their own tournaments seems like a receipt for disaster, though.

Its a offshot from kyokushin, ofcourse.

They're featured in some documentaries and are absolutely insane, they've taken Kyokushin to next level sadism:

There's even a part where the dude opens himself up with a knife and then sews his skin back.

They're featured in some documentaries and are absolutely insane, they've taken Kyokushin to next level sadism:

There's even a part where the dude opens himself up with a knife and then sews his skin back.[/QUOTE

I have seen it before, too much imo

Kinda expecting that... Too bad.

So you admit that it's mainly your fault they went extinct... Shame on you.

Thanks for the answer man.
Some of the traditional Karate stylists considered it brawling or like kickboxing and not Karate anymore. It stopped because of a lack of funds and interest, not enough popularity, they didn't manage to get good contracts with TV channels as the fight fans would typically just watch Boxing or MMA.

Personally I really liked following it, but I didn't attend any event so they didn't get any money from me.

You guys may have already heard of this since you were interested in Karate Pro Fight, but Bas Rutten commentates for a Karate promotion very similar to this tournament called Karate Combat. I'm not aware of what the rules are specifically because they have been altered a bit since the early events I watched, but they fight in a pit, limited GnP, etc etc. Hope you guys enjoy

yep, there's a couple threads just about Karate Combat. i watched a few fights, and enjoyed it. i think the main thing about the rules is no elbows or knees. i feel like there's a market for basically kickboxing with the little MMA gloves, since it seems a fair number of people watch MMA but don't like the wrestling/grappling part.

for me, Karate Combat focused too much on the production value/technology stuff like monitoring fighters heart rate or something like that. a waste of money i think for that stuff. but it's always cool to hear Bas Rutten!

i believe the forums overall consensus of karate combat was its a fail.

yep, there's a couple threads just about Karate Combat. i watched a few fights, and enjoyed it. i think the main thing about the rules is no elbows or knees. i feel like there's a market for basically kickboxing with the little MMA gloves, since it seems a fair number of people watch MMA but don't like the wrestling/grappling part.

for me, Karate Combat focused too much on the production value/technology stuff like monitoring fighters heart rate or something like that. a waste of money i think for that stuff. but it's always cool to hear Bas Rutten!

Yeah, I felt like barring knees and elbows worked against them in the end, and I agree about the focus being too centered on production; I remember the first couple fights I watched were a bit annoying because I couldn't really see the fighters well. They corrected it in later events, but they still had it to some degree and it always left a bad taste in my mouth. I really liked seeing guys like Rafael Aghayev fight though, I have always been curious about some of the high level point fighters and how they would handle a real fight.
i believe the forums overall consensus of karate combat was its a fail.

Why is that? Not that I disagree, I just haven't watched a whole lot of their events haha

Yeah, I felt like barring knees and elbows worked against them in the end, and I agree about the focus being too centered on production; I remember the first couple fights I watched were a bit annoying because I couldn't really see the fighters well. They corrected it in later events, but they still had it to some degree and it always left a bad taste in my mouth. I really liked seeing guys like Rafael Aghayev fight though, I have always been curious about some of the high level point fighters and how they would handle a real fight.

i didn't mind barring knees/elbows too much. i guess it helps keep the fight more at mid/long range, and i'm assuming knees/elbows would be a brand new skill for people coming from point fighting background, but i could be wrong.

Why is that? Not that I disagree, I just haven't watched a whole lot of their events haha

i can't remember if people harped on the rule set or the production value more, but i think there was consensus that it was over produced

do a search, theres a big huge thread about it, also a well made video by a member about the subject as well.

I didnt like it for hits "action movie" scenes, with sound effects, dramatic music, cut/fadeaways, views from the stands behind peoples heads. They are doing all this to hype it up and make it look more exciting when it is. Its like just show the damn fight like a boxing match.

i can't remember if people harped on the rule set or the production value more, but i think there was consensus that it was over produced
do a search, theres a big huge thread about it, also a well made video by a member about the subject as well.

I didnt like it for hits "action movie" scenes, with sound effects, dramatic music, cut/fadeaways, views from the stands behind peoples heads. They are doing all this to hype it up and make it look more exciting when it is. Its like just show the damn fight like a boxing match.

I completely agree about the angles and dramatization being annoying. I'll search for the thread, I'm interested to see the video made about it. Thanks for the responses!

I completely agree about the angles and dramatization being annoying. I'll search for the thread, I'm interested to see the video made about it. Thanks for the responses!

I think they were even doing "shaky cam" when strikes were thrown. If you have to dramatize a fight, thats not a good sign.........comparing that to random street fights that are more exciting to watch than 2 guys competing in an official fight........something is wrong. I was hyped when it first came out as I was hoping it would be a good thing for karate, as the general publics first thought that pops into their head when they hear karate is soccer mom karate, not full contact karate........but overall I think karate combat was a huge fail, and rather than help karate, its putting 1 more nail in the coffin as writing it off as BS to the general public that rather train "UFC". I have said this on here a million times, what I think would be the best thing for karate to gain exposure and change peoples thoughts and opinions of it, is to have a "karate combat" that is basically kudo with no head gear, or kyokushin, with MMA gloves and hits to the face allowed. I would personally like to see kyokushin with head shots in MMA gloves, would be some good brutal stuff and open the general publics eyes to the effectiveness of full contact karate. and a quick disclaimer before I get attacked by the karate guys for talking about karate as if I know about it, I am not and have not trained karate other than being shown a few bits and pieces here and there. I do however like many of the techniques from kyokushin, have taught myself from tutorials as well as have been taught a bit from my MT coach who is also a karate coach, and have implemented some karate techniques during MT fights. but like i said i have not formally trained it so take my opinion with a grain of salt cause wtf do I know about it as theres much more to it than just techniques, theres also katas and philosophy and I know nothing about those.

Since the Karatekas here are, as expected, completely useless, I'll answer my self. (Honestly guys, if you spend less time doing katas, and more time helping people, the world would be a better place...)

It' was not a Karate style, but a karate tournament. (probably lasted a couple of years) can't find info pass 2012:

It had no submission, but g'n'p allowed for 5 secs and not to the head. And not all kinds of takedowns are allowed. It was called Karate pro fight:

Karate pro fight?

This is the Karate styler Full Contact created in the USA in the 70's

main-qimg-630527061a6f7fbdc230c7eefc5f3ee0.webp

I think Kudo is a very efficient style

I think they were even doing "shaky cam" when strikes were thrown. If you have to dramatize a fight, thats not a good sign.........comparing that to random street fights that are more exciting to watch than 2 guys competing in an official fight........something is wrong. I was hyped when it first came out as I was hoping it would be a good thing for karate, as the general publics first thought that pops into their head when they hear karate is soccer mom karate, not full contact karate........but overall I think karate combat was a huge fail, and rather than help karate, its putting 1 more nail in the coffin as writing it off as BS to the general public that rather train "UFC". I have said this on here a million times, what I think would be the best thing for karate to gain exposure and change peoples thoughts and opinions of it, is to have a "karate combat" that is basically kudo with no head gear, or kyokushin, with MMA gloves and hits to the face allowed. I would personally like to see kyokushin with head shots in MMA gloves, would be some good brutal stuff and open the general publics eyes to the effectiveness of full contact karate. and a quick disclaimer before I get attacked by the karate guys for talking about karate as if I know about it, I am not and have not trained karate other than being shown a few bits and pieces here and there. I do however like many of the techniques from kyokushin, have taught myself from tutorials as well as have been taught a bit from my MT coach who is also a karate coach, and have implemented some karate techniques during MT fights. but like i said i have not formally trained it so take my opinion with a grain of salt cause wtf do I know about it as theres much more to it than just techniques, theres also katas and philosophy and I know nothing about those.
I agree with pretty much all of this.

Back