this is kudo

Ah great, thanks man. Any idea how it was received by the karate community? And why they stopped it?

Since the Karatekas here are, as expected, completely useless, I'll answer my self. (Honestly guys, if you spend less time doing katas, and more time helping people, the world would be a better place...)

It' was not a Karate style, but a karate tournament. (probably lasted a couple of years) can't find info pass 2012:

It had no submission, but g'n'p allowed for 5 secs and not to the head. And not all kinds of takedowns are allowed. It was called Karate pro fight:

that was good stuff

Ah great, thanks man. Any idea how it was received by the karate community? And why they stopped it?

Some of the traditional Karate stylists considered it brawling or like kickboxing and not Karate anymore. It stopped because of a lack of funds and interest, not enough popularity, they didn't manage to get good contracts with TV channels as the fight fans would typically just watch Boxing or MMA.

Personally I really liked following it, but I didn't attend any event so they didn't get any money from me.

Some of the traditional Karate stylists considered it brawling or like kickboxing and not Karate anymore.
They just afraid to just bang

The core of all martial arts is to bang hard and fast

Some of the traditional Karate stylists considered it brawling or like kickboxing and not Karate anymore. It stopped because of a lack of funds and interest, not enough popularity, they didn't manage to get good contracts with TV channels as the fight fans would typically just watch Boxing or MMA.

Kinda expecting that... Too bad.

Personally I really liked following it, but I didn't attend any event so they didn't get any money from me.

So you admit that it's mainly your fault they went extinct... Shame on you.

Thanks for the answer man.

Some of the traditional Karate stylists considered it brawling or like kickboxing and not Karate anymore.
They just afraid to just bang
The core of all martial arts is to bang hard and fast
I used to be like that. Then I banged. It really changed my point of view. Now I enjoy watching people bang. I mean Kudo and MMA of course. :D

So you admit that it's mainly your fault they went extinct... Shame on you.

That or the fact that they didn't sell PPV's and you could just get the videos of the fights for free after the event had happened. Most of the time I didn't even know an event had happened until I saw the videos of the fights pop up on youtube, so it seems like they didn't do such a great marketing job here. Not saying it's easy though.

so it seems like they didn't do such a great marketing job here. Not saying it's easy though.
"Come see us pajama fight and you get free whores if you do. Bring a friend and you get the Eiffel tower discount

We only have Boise dimes and nothing under 9.6/10s"

"Come see us pajama fight and you get free whores if you do. Bring a friend and you get the Eiffel tower discount

We only have Boise dimes and nothing under 9.6/10s"

your jokes get a bit repetitive and boring, get a grip.

so it seems like they didn't do such a great marketing job here. Not saying it's easy though.

That's a shame, but not really unexpected... When you see what mistakes big organization do, and that some wrong decision can destroy them in one night. UFC was on the bring of closing a few times in the early days... And some times, it was luck that saved them, or at least circumstances that was not really in their control..
I know also that in France, the judo organization has huge power over the sports federations. It's my understanding that they are the one responsible for making ground and pound illegal, not allowing MMA to have tournaments... Don't know if they had any part, but the people in charge may not have it as easy as for other styleS.

I could see that tournament develop into a proper style... Don't really know the Karate world and if that's a possibility, but with the popularity of MMA, it could gain some love from people wanting to mix those two world... Is there any style of karate that close to MMA? I mean during official tournaments, not just in classes.

PS: Sorry @shincheckin for hijacking your thread...

Last edited:
Is there any style of karate that close to MMA? I mean during official tournaments, not just in classes.

Shidokan Karate, a Kyokushin off-shoot created by Yojishi Soeno who was a direct student of Mas Oyama (founder of Kyokushin). It is basically a mix of Knockdown Karate (Kyokushin), Muay Thai and Grappling and has tournaments usually using all 3 rule sets (Knockdown Karate, Muay Thai / Kickboxing, and MMA rules).

Yoshiji Soeno had a lot of experience training and competing in Kyokushin and then fought in Kickboxing and Muay Thai in Japan and Thailand. He recognised how good Muay Thai fighters were, and also the importance of grappling as he had judo background so his style was essentially Kyokushin with added Muay Thai training and grappling.

http://www.shidokan.org.uk/style/

Last edited:
That's a shame, but not really unexpected... When you see what mistakes big organization do, and that some wrong decision can destroy them in one night. UFC was on the bring of closing a few times in the early days... And some times, it was luck that saved them, or at least circumstances that was not really in their control..
I know also that in France, the judo organization has huge power over the sports federations. It's my understanding that they are the one responsible for making ground and pound illegal, not allowing MMA to have tournaments... Don't know if they had any part, but the people in charge may not have it as easy as for other styleS.

I could see that tournament develop into a proper style... Don't really know the Karate world and if that's a possibility, but with the popularity of MMA, it could gain some love from people wanting to mix those two world... Is there any style of karate that close to MMA? I mean during official tournaments, not just in classes.

PS: Sorry @shincheckin for hijacking your thread...

no worries man

In Kudo we're sparring with kudo gloves which are just under 4oz so the plastic shield does a much better job of protecting from bruises/cuts.

Does it not hurt the knuckles when making contact with that plastic?

Naw

tameshiwari2.jpg

I would think the parts that look like Muay Thai are pretty natural movements to do, when you have a gi and a big mask to hold on to.

Not really tbh but when I started Kudo I already had years of martial arts training on my belt. One of the pros of doing kyokushin is the knuckle conditioning transfers over.

I think maybe for people new to Kudo it might. You don't actually start sparring with the headgear until you reach 8th Kyu (which is like 6 months worth of solid training at the bare minimum). I think by then you're hands are conditioned enough from Kudo training that you probably won't feel it.

Back