This is Igor.....for you noobs

Igor was very entertaining but I don't think he would be able to hang with the very best LHWs today, let alone heavyweights. They are bigger and arguably better overall except for the crazy power - and even there a few people like Rumble can compete with him. People remember Igor's highlights and forget he had quite a few losses or fights in which he looked lackluster (e.g. Sakuraba).

Is this a situation like those "I just re-watched the XXXX vs. XXXX fight"... but everyone knows the TS really watched it for the first time? Oh mylanta..

giphy-downsized.gif

Depends...A good part of his opponents pre-Pride were realistically not natural [slow] HWs...in WVC,IAFC etc...

And they weren't too skilled either.
Trauma Telligman kinda exposed Igor with crisp boxing technique...Wanderlei is not the same style, but he would've definitely been the best striker Igor has EVER faced. (besides Mirko, but Igor was done by then anyway)

Trauma Telligman kinda exposed Igor with crisp boxing technique...Wanderlei is not the same style, but he would've definitely been the best striker Igor has EVER faced. (besides Mirko, but Igor was done by then anyway)
werent too skilled..as strikers? coz as grapplers some were pretty legit..

On a sidenote, Big Daddy was a decent striker too..

he has shorter arms than artem

photographic evidence:
2339913-igor.png

werent too skilled..as strikers? coz as grapplers some were pretty legit..

On a sidenote, Big Daddy was a decent striker too..

I don't remember no one having any special credentials neither in striking nor in grappling...I could be wrong though, and I know you have quite a knowledge in MMA history as well, so feel free to correct me.

Regarding Goodrige - I don't believe he was as good of a striker as he was strong and his strikes were heavy.
Probably one of the first really brutal fighters in MMA history.

...and to think. All you needed was an American named Chuck....

Not sure what you mean by here - but Saku and Chuck were both my favorite fighters during that era. Like, hands down

And Chuck would've probably knocked Igor out too.

I don't remember no one having any special credentials neither in striking nor in grappling...I could be wrong though, and I know you have quite a knowledge in MMA history as well, so feel free to correct me.

Regarding Goodrige - I don't believe he was as good of a striker as he was strong and his strikes were heavy.
Probably one of the first really brutal fighters in MMA history.
For instance, Leonardo Castelo Branco was BJJ Next Gen at that time, highly regarded...

Edson Carvalho [BJJ/Judo], the infamous Death Master, was hespected in the Brazilian scene...

Nick Nutter had a short career, Hammer House dude...

Mikhail Ilyukhin, sambo champ, pioneer @ RTT, b4 Fedor...Experienced vet, tricky like hell...

Many sambo dudes in all these tournaments, but they didnt have many opportunities to shine due to them being Eastern European and the limitations of the NHB/ValeTudo market back then...
Personally, I like to study those forgotten fighters...

On a sidenote, Igor also fought in Pride: Valentijn Overeem [powerful striker who developped a legit ground game, in particular a sound leglocks arsenal] , Carlos Barreto [BJJ giant from Carlson´s...had the physical tool to develop a lethal striking but was always a lil bit too hesitant...], Yvel [good striking indeed... he even developped a decent ground game later on, pulling some nice armbars...]

Big Daddy actually had a boxing [amateur] background, decent striker but his fight IQ was not that great...

Wand vs Igor would probably be a 50/50 fight at any point in their careers. Especially when it was discussed at the end of PRIDE when both were already past their primes.

Igor definitely faced some good strikers like: Gilbert Yvel, Masaaki Satake, Gary Goodridge 2x.

He also fought but lost to Cro Cop, Herring, Rampage and Overeem but no shame in losing to those guys, especially toward the end of his career. Only CC beat him on the feet. The rest beat him with grappling.

Igor was only KO'ed standing up once in 70 fights and that was to CC. He was a very skilled striker with power and timing to knock anybody out. Good grapplers were his only weakness.

Back