This guy would be a huge PPV star. . . .Freddie Steele

didn't he have a restaurant on broadway in seattle? when i was small my dad took me to eddie cotton's and I think Freddie Steels'.

didn't he have a restaurant on broadway in seattle? when i was small my dad took me to eddie cotton's and I think Freddie Steels'.

Eddie once invited me to his restaurant and served me a "Soul Burger". .it had a full slice of raw onion and a grilled split hot link sausage . I ordered a thick chocolate shake too. . . sincerely a great meal.. . . .according to Wikipedia The Tacoma Assassin "owned and operated Freddie Steele's restaurant in Westport, Washington with his wife, Helen, for over 20 years until illness forced his retirement."

Eddie once invited me to his restaurant and served me a "Soul Burger". .it had a full slice of raw onion and a grilled split hot link sausage . I ordered a thick chocolate shake too. . . sincerely a great meal.. . . .according to Wikipedia The Tacoma Assassin "owned and operated Freddie Steele's restaurant in Westport, Washington with his wife, Helen, for over 20 years until illness forced his retirement."
oh, it's ernie steele, a football player, i always assumed it was freddie, but it was so long ago, i had to be about 7 or 8 the last time i went there. eddie cotton's had legendary shakes, my friend still remembers those. I don't remember the soul food, of course, with a black stepdad, i got plenty of it regardless.

oh, it's ernie steele, a football player, i always assumed it was freddie, but it was so long ago, i had to be about 7 or 8 the last time i went there. eddie cotton's had legendary shakes, my friend still remembers those. I don't remember the soul food, of course, with a black stepdad, i got plenty of it regardless.

Freddie Steele,Rocky Lockridge, Leo Randolph, Johnny Bumphus aka Bump City, our 4 champions from Tacoma, WA.
I think they mightve all came from the 25th and Yak boxing gym in Tacoma.
Ill also mention Sugar Ray Seales. Only gold member winner from the States in 1972 and fought Hagler 3 times, drawing once. Never won a major title tho.

Its the Le Faux Playhouse now. It was called Ernie Steeles for years then became Illeens Sports Bar and then became Julias.
Now its some place that has weekend drag shows.
Wonder how there burgers are

Its the Le Faux Playhouse now. It was called Ernie Steeles for years then became Illeens Sports Bar and then became Julias.
Now its some place that has weekend drag shows.
Wonder how there burgers are
ya, i remember when they changed to ileens, they were so cheap they didn't even buy different letters, it looked like the same letters that ernie steele's had. Broadway (and seattle) has totally changed since i was a kid. it used to be a cool place for a kid to hang around, a movie theater, jack in the box, pizza petes' and other restaurants, lots of good memories there. Since then it became the hub for all the marginalized, freaky people in one way or another, if any of that was going on when i was a kid, i didn't really see it. are you sure it's julia's? i thought that was a block or two down, one of my friends posted some pics on facebook of the trannies, one of em looked damned good. you know how women are, they don't get as uptight around that kind of shit as us men generally do.

Freddie Steele,Rocky Lockridge, Leo Randolph, Johnny Bumphus aka Bump City, our 4 champions from Tacoma, WA.
I think they mightve all came from the 25th and Yak boxing gym in Tacoma.
Ill also mention Sugar Ray Seales. Only gold member winner from the States in 1972 and fought Hagler 3 times, drawing once. Never won a major title tho.
fine fighters out of tacoma, said it many times, that is what completely discouraged me from fighting as a kid, our trainer didn't do shit for us, so to see these guys from our gym get absolutely destroyed going for some delusional idea of glory pretty much made me gunshy at the time. It's not easy for kids to get up in front of hundreds of people to be possibly humiliated, if you don't have someone you trust behind you, the kids i knew who did it seemed clueless to me. It's like it never occurred to them "isn't someone supposed to help me?"

There was a prime period of time that extended from the 70's and through the 80's that I would consider the "golden age" of boxing in the Pacific Northwest and especially with Tacoma at the core. . . Ray Seales and his brother Dale Grant, Bumphus, Lockridge, Randolph, Davey Lee Armstrong represented Olympic teams or pro world championships. . . .add two time Olympian Robert Shannon, Joe Belinc, Brett Summers and Yakima's Charles Carter, . From Oregon was 4 time national amateur and NABF champion Golden Guy Villegas, plus national amateur champions Mike Hess, Alex DeLucia and Andy Minsker and add South Dakota transplant Pat Jefferson who fought his pro career based from Eugene, Oregon. Heavyweight title contender Joe Hipp of Yakima got his start in the 80's. also training in Eugene . . Add British Columbians Jamie Ollengerger, Michael Oladjide Jr., Tony Pep and multiple Canadian amateur title holders and Olympians Dale Walters and Laurie Mann.. . . All mentioned had successful amateur and pro careers including world titles but the most successful of all NW boxers was probably Greg Haugen of Auburn.. . . Like I said it was the Northwest's golden age,

Last edited:
There was a prime period of time that extended from the 70's and through the 80's that I would consider the "golden age" of boxing in the Pacific Northwest and especially with Tacoma at the core. . . Ray Seales and his brother Dale Grant, Bumphus, Lockridge, Randolph, Davey Lee Armstrong represented Olympic teams or pro world championships. . . .add two time Olympian Robert Shannon, Joe Belinc, Brett Summers and Yakima's Charles Carter, . From Oregon was 4 time national amateur and NABF champion Golden Guy Villegas, plus national amateur champions Mike Hess, Alex DeLucia and Andy Minsker and add South Dakota transplant Pat Jefferson who fought his pro career based from Eugene, Oregon. Heavyweight title contender Joe Hipp of Yakima got his start in the 80's. also training in Eugene . . Add British Columbians Jamie Ollengerger, Michael Oladjide Jr., Tony Pep and multiple Canadian amateur title holders and Olympians Dale Walters and Laurie Mann.. . . All mentioned had successful amateur and pro careers including world titles but the most successful of all NW boxers was probably Greg Haugen of Auburn.. . . Like I said it was the Northwest's golden age,

was a guy named mylon watkins who some of the old guys at the tacoma boxing club claimed was their most talented fighter ever. My gyms best fighter was a welterweight who was tall and lanky, he seemed so big to me at the time as I was only about 5'7' and 125 pounds and that was a stretch. anyway, this guy fought mylon at a golden gloves, he tried to hit mylon, everytime, mylon slipped and threw back multiple punches, watkins was also fighting with his hands down, ala ali, the next time i saw mylon, he was fighting in the olympic trials vs one of the ammie greats, Mark Breland, his hands were high and tight, didn't stop breland from landing that vaunted right hand and kayoing him.

i also saw joe hipp aroung that time, although i hadn't a clue who he was at the time, all i remember was this dark skinned non-physical looking guy beating the shit out of the other guys. Good fighter, the tommy morrison fight looked rigged to me, he coulda won that one.

i also saw joe hipp aroung that time, although i hadn't a clue who he was at the time, all i remember was this dark skinned non-physical looking guy beating the shit out of the other guys. Good fighter, the tommy morrison fight looked rigged to me, he coulda won that one.

The Hipp-Morrison fight may have been stopped too soon but it was borderline. . . Hipp had him whooped but also got hit with a horrific uppercut.. . . Joe was a warrior. . . .Also, he should have beaten Bruce Seldon for the WBA Heavyweight title but his trainer developed a stupid game plan for him going in.

The Hipp-Morrison fight may have been stopped too soon but it was borderline. . . Hipp had him whooped but also got hit with a horrific uppercut.. . . Joe was a warrior. . . .Also, he should have beaten Bruce Seldon for the WBA Heavyweight title but his trainer developed a stupid game plan for him going in.
it looked rigged to me. as far as seldon, if it was as simple as just changing tactics i think he would have done that.

it looked rigged to me. as far as seldon, if it was as simple as just changing tactics i think he would have done that.
I'll have to rewatch that fight but I remember Seldon using his jab to dominate that one. For all his failings he did have a great jab.

I'll have to rewatch that fight but I remember Seldon using his jab to dominate that one. For all his failings he did have a great jab.
ya, it looked to me like a fight where a guy realizes early he can't pull it off and just stays there for the beating part. seen it many times. also said many times, many fighters look good until they take a little step up and they just don't have it. Seldon didn't even try for the tyson fight, that was one of the worst fake kayoes i've ever seen, i think their were rumours that he was paid off but i don't see why, he just sort of quit. there was an article discussing how much heart he'd shown in another fight and speculating why he'd fold so easily in this one.

ya, it looked to me like a fight where a guy realizes early he can't pull it off and just stays there for the beating part. seen it many times. also said many times, many fighters look good until they take a little step up and they just don't have it. Seldon didn't even try for the tyson fight, that was one of the worst fake kayoes i've ever seen, i think their were rumours that he was paid off but i don't see why, he just sort of quit. there was an article discussing how much heart he'd shown in another fight and speculating why he'd fold so easily in this one.
That Tyson fight was a disgrace.

it was awful, i sometimes wonder how some guys with all that experience crack up like that, i don't get it. I just watched a bit of seldon's fights, he kayoed page, he looked like a talented guy. Who knows, maybe he was paid off.

That tyson-seldon fight is about as clear as it gets for a fix imo.

I get mikes powerful. But the wind from his missed punch shouldn’t be enough to ko someone

Back