This Gen's Work Ethic

Is this seriously a "back in my day" thread?

When it came to low wage jobs, Id just tell the employer what they want to hear.

Because people smartened up and don't want to work like a slave for a company so the CEO can buy his 15th yacht.

Hard work is great when it's a job you care about keeping. If you don't care about keeping it then it's natural to half ass it because in the end, networking and personality beat out hard work when it comes to promotions.
Promotions? ha..

considering that the productivity of the average american worker has steadily increased since the 70s id say its more about the perception

you mean the technology that makes a persons work easier has increased since the 70's. Let's not act like everyone all of a sudden started working harder nowadays. It is the tech that has "improved" worker productivity, not the people working harder.

I have a few employees under 25.

One of them is great! But the others are pretty lady tbh. They don't really seem to have any pride in themselves and pretty much have to be told everything.

To be fair, I have some older people that aren't much different lol

I have a few employees under 25.

One of them is great! But the others are pretty lady tbh. They don't really seem to have any pride in themselves and pretty much have to be told everything.

To be fair, I have some older people that aren't much different lol

I like how people say they're "good" at what they do, or they think they perform well at their job it always makes me laugh. You just do your job, there is no good or bad. It's a repetitive set of actions you do every day, there's no actual skill involved or intelligence needed, it doesn't take a degree to perform the functions of most jobs either. Even the ones that require experience generally don't really NEED experienced people, they just want someone who has a stable track record they know they can exploit for a long time and to keep the pay scale where they want it.

Even the managers and CEO's don't really use the junk they learnt in colleges, they just read out of the handbook on site :icon_lol:

As someone who is under 25, these threads annoy the shit out of me.

You don't know me so don't judge my work ethic. But I guess everyone over the age of 25 is judgmental and a know it all :rolleyes:

As someone who is under 25, these threads annoy the shit out of me.

You don't know me so don't judge my work ethic. But I guess everyone over the age of 25 is judgmental and a know it all :rolleyes:

Stop posting on Sherdog and go to work.

Eh, staying in retail isn't really where most people want to be for their careers, so of course people are going to move on. It's called getting a real job.

I know people my age(I'm 26, so I don't know if I even count as "this generation," since I was born quite a bit earlier than 2000)that work their asses off every day to make a living. I also know a bunch of older farts(40s-50s) that are lazy as all hell and have a huge sense of entitlement. Work ethic is a personal issue, not generational. You get diamonds at all ages, and a bunch of coal everywhere too.

At my site I have problems with the younger cats staring at their smartphones when they are suppose to be working or watching their own ass with all the traffic (bobcats, forklifts) that is flying all over the site. We instituted a no smart-phone rule but they ignore it.

Not sure how correct the premise is but yes, life shouldn't be all about work.

And older generations bitching about how they had it worse while simultaneously longing for those good old days... shut up, grandpa.

Maybe I'm just a control freak and a narcissist, but when I interview for a position at this point in my life, the company has to sell the job to me. When I'm interviewing someone for a position in our company, they have to sell themselves to me. If you are ever in an interview where the company starts selling themselves to you far more than they are asking you questions, there is a good chance you are already in besides the salary negotiations.

Well seeing ho most companies have zero loyalty, how do you expect to get it from your workers?

maybe these guys should go over their interviewing processes. there's plenty of young people who aren't scum.

maybe these guys should go over their interviewing processes. there's plenty of young people who aren't scum.

Yeah another thing he said that kinda shocked me was that his interview process is about 3hrs long and trys to get as much info out of them as possiable to see if they are a good fit for his store.

And since its a high end boutique that sell high end fashion clothes, i ask him if he hires ugly or fat people since they don't fit the mold of what the clothes rep and he slide by the question and claimed that those type people never really shop in the store, let alone apply for a job there. He claims that almost everyone that apply fits the look of the store, young,hip, in shape model looking like type people.

Well to be honest I work with a 20 year old and he's a complete slacker. Before his first day I asked my ex-boss (see below) if he was a good employee (cause he did a co-op with him and my other co-worker a year prior) and he said he was or he wouldn't have hired him. My current "boss" who I don't see 99% of the time I am there now cause he's runs another dept. full-time doesn't motivate or discipline him, so I have to keep him motivated. But I'm not a supervisor or manager so I feel like I'm overstepping and he probably thinks I'm a bossy douche. But at the same time I don't want to work extra hard cause some lazy fuckin' 20 year old wants to stand around and talk all day bout snowmobiling, and going for a rip. I'm tempted to just tell my boss to let the guy go in the winter and lay him off cause he's lazy, unmotivated, not qualified to do certain tasks and is generally a moocher. Even existing co-worker (the not useless one) doesn't know what happened with him cause he said he was alright for working well when he was doing co-op. I said maybe it was cause he only had to do it for 2.5 hours a day and had no real responsibilities that he felt that way. He agreed.

But my ex-boss, whose a year younger then me, was equally bad. I liked him he was a good guy and we are friends but he had terrible work ethics. He'd wander around for an hour each day and small talk everyone around (when there was work to be done) and then when he did work it wasn't really much. Probably why he got shitcanned. Even the owner told me he got let go cause he was the biggest work dodger he ever saw. He'd get the grunts to do the work (Me and my other co-worker who isn't useless) and only would really work when we were behind on schedule or got our surprises due to other departments fuck ups in the dealership I work at. He's 33.

So you get lazy fucks both up top and at the bottom. I find it's the middle guys that get fucked over the most. I don't think Gen's have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
unless you're going to be the ceo of a company, most people, "settle" at a certain point. so for me, someone may be fine with selling clothes. i see no problem with that. if they're happy doing it, so be it.

I've only met a handful of under 25's that were worth a shit. Not that I wouldn't hire one but I'd be extra wary of them.

Agreed current gen work ethic is abysmal. Lazy little shits don't even have enough nous or care to conceal it.

Baby boomers had low house prices, low rent, low living costs and a job FOR LIFE (you could mortgage a house on postman wages) ... the current generation have none of that, they just get given loans to study at a uni and leave without a job good enough to pay back the aforementioned loans, can only find rag tag jobs that just allow them to keep their heads above water ... no room to save, no room to pay back loans ... oh, but you're right, they are soooo entitled and lazy :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I seen a couple of thread threads about this Entitled Gen and just had talk to someone who runs a High End Boutique shop selling High Designer clothes and he stated that he had had to change his approach to dealing with today youth(early 20s just entering the work place). He stated that it is hard to keep younger employees more than 2 to 3 yrs and during the interview process them tend to ask "What Can This Job Offer Me" and he ends up trying to sell them a job, instead of them begging for it, and these are folks that walk into his shop.

Now I remember always being asked "What Can I Bring to Job" and "How Can Help The Company" and "Where Do I See Myself in 5yrs",etc... So it is weird for me to hear him explain his interviewing process where he is Selling the job and this is a job where they can make a thousand a day in commission on top of a good salary.

But does this Gen have the right approach and asking what they are going to get out of a job instead of what they can give to it?

begging for a job ... pfft, he can go suck a bag of dicks.

Back