This ELBOW Stuff needs to get resolved

I say the only part of the elbow that can be used is from the wrist to the elbow, nothing from the elbow to the shoulder. This would eliminate the forehead strikes from the bottom and the stupid elbows Bigg Rigg and Travis Browne used.

WOHA! good job, thats it! ufc get this guy a paycheck!

I say the only part of the elbow that can be used is from the wrist to the elbow, nothing from the elbow to the shoulder. This would eliminate the forehead strikes from the bottom and the stupid elbows Bigg Rigg and Travis Browne used.

I can't disagree more. It's already too safe for wrestlers to spam takedown attempts without getting punished.

Seeing the wall defense with elbows to the side of the head is fantastic.

It's not that difficult. 12 to 6 follow the same path as gravity. Hold a coin up, drop it. It will follow a path that is 12 to 6.

Browne's elbows did NOT follow that path, Jones' did.

Whether it's a good rule or not is another matter.

A perfect explanation of 12 to 6. I'm still at a loss wondering how anyone could call any elbow strike thrown by a fighter on his back 12 to 6 as someone did earlier.

Just make the damn elbows legal.

Sure, they sting but I would argue many of the fighters are just hamming it up to get a point deduction penalized against their opponent, just like the way soccer players cry when someone lightly grazes an elbow going for the ball.

No 12-6 elbows on the ground

simple

Honestly I think the elbows when defending the takedown are actually more dangerous since they tend to target the side and potentially back of the head.

Allow 12-6 elbows. If you don't want to get elbowed like that don't dry hump your opponent's leg up against the fence.

I almost think making prolonged leg hugging against the cage illegal would be a good idea.. It's no kind of skill. A technical double leg happens in a couple seconds. Just pushing against the legs, digging deeper against your opponent, on your knees with a guy against the cage, is maybe my least favorite technique used in MMA.

If a guy is shooting, all he has to do is turn his face towards his opponent to make there a high probability of getting elbowed hard on the back of the head. It looks dirty and non-technical, but so does leg humping against the cage. I'm kind of torn about it tbh.

I agree with you. This whole "12 to 6" nonsense doesn't make much sense at all and should be allowed, but obviously keep the ban on back of the head. I mean you're allowing people to use the same motion when they're on their back, so why not let them use that exact motion when standing (12 to 6). See Silva vs Lutter for an example of 12 to 6 elbows from the back which are legal, but if the same position was standing would be illegal. Weird, pointless rule.
The irony to bringing that fight up is that Rogan actually explains why they were legal.

Watch his fight vs Gonzaga before praising him for his technical and "very carefully placed" elbows.

Dgaf what anyone on this forum says those were illegal. The barnett ones not so much, but the gonzaga ones were for sure.

Such a dumb rule. I's only matter of body position, or a slight angle change to a strike. 11-5 elbows are just as damaging.

the ufc needs 12-6 elbows,,,it needs knees to the head on the ground and punches to the back of the head...boom i said it..im not sure about soccer kicks though

Back of the head is worse than soccer kicks. Very dangerous stuff . I am fine with everything else though.

I agree with you. This whole "12 to 6" nonsense doesn't make much sense at all and should be allowed, but obviously keep the ban on back of the head. I mean you're allowing people to use the same motion when they're on their back, so why not let them use that exact motion when standing (12 to 6). See Silva vs Lutter for an example of 12 to 6 elbows from the back which are legal, but if the same position was standing would be illegal. Weird, pointless rule.

Cuz when you're on your back its more of a 3 to 9? And when you're upside down its a 6 to 12.

Rule is stupid. I agree.

11-5 elbows are just as damaging.

Proof?

Take a sledge hammer and it down straight 12 to 6 perpendicular against a cinder block, then repeat at 11 to 5 and let's see if we can't spot which cinder block was hit by which blow :)

Swing a sledgehammer at 11 to 5 and then do that with your elbow and see the difference in velocity. Silly comparison. By the same idea, I could say fire a gun at a tree stump at 12 to 6 and fire one at 11 to 5 and which is worse.

Mine was an exaggerated comparison, but still about physics. For the gun there's a threshold difference. If you fired into a ballistics gel there might be a nominal measurable difference, but not much more

Okay, I'll back peddle a little and say the difference between 11-5 and 12-6 elbows is not big enough to prohibit only 12-6 strikes.

On your sledge hammer comparison, it's a different situation as it's an outside heavy object. Slamming it downwards or diagonally would require more different kind of muscle use, whereas 12-6 and 11-5 elbows are thrown using same muscle groups, or at least very close to same. 11-5 elbows can also have body weight behind them.

I agree with your point in truth
Just had a feeling that the fact assertion was incorrect :)

The problem was with regulating them in the first place. When opponents know they will be protected by some silly rule, they will fight in a manner that make no sense in the real world of combat Martial Arts. For instance, touching the ground with your finger is NOT being on the ground and when I see a fighter do it, I want him to get KTFO.
Ice hockey players are now conditioned to turn their backs just before a forechcker hits them along the boards in order to draw a boarding penalty. VERY stupid rule which punishes a clean hit and results in MORE injuries, not less.

Last edited:
Back