This Day in Boxing History: Douglas Beats Tyson.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
On this date in 1990, James "Buster" Douglas defeated Mike Tyson in possibly the biggest upset in sports history.

Where were you when you heard about it? How did you react?

For some reason I wasn't able to watch it live? I read the result on ceefax in the morning and was sure they'd fucked it up.

On this date in 1990, James "Buster" Douglas defeated Mike Tyson in possibly the biggest upset in sports history.

The desert fox is from Ohio so it was big big deal here(in ohio) when it happened

I was watching basketball for some reason and I believe it was Marv Albert who broke the news to me. He was talking about upsets in basketball I think, and then followed with a comment along the lines of "you're not going to believe this, but..." and then gave the news that Douglas won.

i was living with this gay guy, (long story and what a mistake) and didn't have cable but did have basic where we had espn, i was angry and immediately blamed don king for ruining my generations Ali.

I once opened up a store selling table tennis equipment, unfortunately nobody understood how to strengthen their wrists. They had no cardio and went out with injuries. Me and MCPB put out a pretty good thread about how whittling and yo-yo helps

I am NOT making this up.

I was home on leave and my older brother was at his duty station. He IDOLIZED Mike Tyson! I'm watching the fight on HBO alone because my mom had went to bed. After the fight the phone rings....

I picked it up and said "Hello?"

My brother's voice on the other end of the line sounded like something from beyond the grave!
He said...

"I don't feel the same anymore, man..."

*CLICK*

Haha, that IS a great story.
I was six years old, so I hardly remember it (I'm old, but not as old as some of you geezers, obviously), apart from all the cool, older kids at school talking about it the next week. It really was the conversation topic. Disbelief was the general tone.

Back