Third Eye Blind....are they empirically good, or just generational?

What fad is that?

The skater, alternative music/lifestyle that was pushed on Gen Y by corporations so they beg their mommies to by them all the necessary accessories like rollerblades, no fear gear, Stussy, Jnco jeans, airwalks, etc etc.

The skater, alternative music/lifestyle that was pushed on Gen Y by corporations so they beg their mommies to by them all the necessary accessories like rollerblades, no fear gear, Stussy, Jnco jeans, airwalks, etc etc.
I'm not sure any of that is associated with TEB. Sounds like you're just cherry-picking things you don't like from the 90's. Self-indulgent, whiny, bitches are far more prevalent today, than they ever were back then.

I'm not sure any of that is associated with TEB. Sounds like you're just cherry-picking things you don't like from the 90's. Self-indulgent, whiny, bitches are far more prevalent today, than they ever were back then.

The self indulgent whiny bitches of today were not born yesterday, nor did they become this way overnight. It is a gradual process that starts in their most formative years. They most likely listened and adhered to the grungy/alternative, skater, Seventeen Magazine, Jnco, Stussy, no fear gear lifestyle back in the 90s.

1997 was my best year ever....shit job, but NFG and a plethora of women...constantly blowing up my landline phone and beating down my door...it was memorable. So Third eye has a soft spot in my heart....are they any good?

Semi-charmed life is one of my favorite songs of all time. Love third eye blind.

But they're definitely a generational band. Nothing wrong with that.

I would say they are objectively good, but flawed. Art makes you feel and their music definitely accomplishes that. I remember when they first came out, I hated them. A few years later, in college I think, I liked their music for the pop/rock it was. I remember one of my metalhead friends actually introduced me to them and I thought he was out of his mind, ha. Anyway, I say they are good but not great, like someone said before. Definitely flawed, but decent, and better than most garbage now.

I would say they are objectively good, but flawed

Yeah, I would have to agree. They aren't one of my favorite bands at all. But they are a pretty good band with some really good songs.

You know who from that era was really underrated? The Gin Blossoms. Maybe not the entire band, but their drummer was certainly a lot better than most of the alternative drummers. I never really listened for that back when they were on the radio. But I heard one of their songs recently, now that I have a much more refined ear, and was impressed.

Ugh I couldnt stand them still can't now that I revisited some of the tracks posted.

I'm a lifelong metalhead who is more likely to listen to Emperor all day than I am to listen to anything resembling pop music.

That being said, the self-titled Third Eye Blind is one of the best commercial rock records of all time. It's great start to finish. No wasted space, no bullshit. Just one damn good song after another. Heartfelt shit, well-written songs, good lyrics, style, etc.

After that, Third Eye Blind released so much boring, hookless, phoned-in bullshit. Definitely disappointing at the time.

Also, 1997 was one of my best years too.

There ok, but few bands measure up to the best rock band in music today, Maroon 5, of course.

Their lyrics were too good for pop music, but their sound was too poppy for good music. Generational.

truth

I'm a lifelong metalhead who is more likely to listen to Emperor all day than I am to listen to anything resembling pop music.

That being said, the self-titled Third Eye Blind is one of the best commercial rock records of all time. It's great start to finish. No wasted space, no bullshit. Just one damn good song after another. Heartfelt shit, well-written songs, good lyrics, style, etc.

After that, Third Eye Blind released so much boring, hookless, phoned-in bullshit. Definitely disappointing at the time.

Also, 1997 was one of my best years too.
When I popped in their second album I was like...uh...guys? Are you...okay?

Their lyrics were too good for pop music, but their sound was too poppy for good music. Generational.

lol I'm not one to ever pay much attention to lyrics but if Stephen Jenkins is as smart as everyone says he is then what you said seems very well put.

The self indulgent whiny bitches of today were not born yesterday, nor did they become this way overnight. It is a gradual process that starts in their most formative years. They most likely listened and adhered to the grungy/alternative, skater, Seventeen Magazine, Jnco, Stussy, no fear gear lifestyle back in the 90s.

There is nothing alternative, grungy or skater about Third Eye Blind. They're just a regular commercial rock band. There's nothing subversive about them, corporate or otherwise.

Haha, is Metallica your favorite death metal band?

Speaking of Metallica and the time period in question here, once the initial shock wore off, I found a great affinity and appreciation for the Load album.

Speaking of Metallica and the time period in question here, once the initial shock wore off, I found a great affinity and appreciation for the Load album.

There are some things a man should just keep to himself. Haha...

There is nothing alternative, grungy or skater about Third Eye Blind. They're just a regular commercial rock band. There's nothing subversive about them, corporate or otherwise.

Haha, is Metallica your favorite death metal band?

LOL they are alternative rock. They arent rock N Roll. "Commercial" rock band means just that: corporate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back