Thinking of Moving to the Big Island, Kailua Kona Hawaii

Yes, my first trip to the Big Island was in the early 70's. I have been there maybe 8 times. Sure there is not a lot going on but I am good with that and the natural beauty. I currently live in a pretty rural area so it won't be too much of a shock for me.
i dont see any reasons not to go!

If the job offer was sweet enough, I'd do it. But then again, I have nothing holding me back to Chicago anyway.

If you move there, get a Costco membership to get your groceries and gas.

Moving forward with this, I have my house here in Cali in escrow. Heading over next week to try to find a place to live. My job is pretty much down town Kailua Kona and I want to be within 20 minutes drive. I'm thinking up on the hill a little bit as it gets cooler but I really want a view of the ocean and sunsets.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Get into kayak fishing and spear fishing, so much fun. Kona has the best water for it. I live Kauai but go to Big island monthly.

Moving forward with this, I have my house here in Cali in escrow. Heading over next week to try to find a place to live. My job is pretty much down town Kailua Kona and I want to be within 20 minutes drive. I'm thinking up on the hill a little bit as it gets cooler but I really want a view of the ocean and sunsets.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Always nice to see threads like this come to fruition. You did it! Wish you the best.

need to establish your ranking in the social heirarchy early, what you wwant to do is go invade the local surf spots, and start dating a natiuve chick. you will be embraced ands repsected for sure

It's beautiful there and I've vacationed there, but I might get bored there if I had to live there.

There's a Costco and Walmart there for grocery shopping and gas (at Costco) that has better prices than the other markets. I recall the groceries at the local markets were quite expensive as well as gas.

It's beautiful there and I've vacationed there, but I might get bored there if I had to live there.

There's a Costco and Walmart there for grocery shopping and gas (at Costco) that has better prices than the other markets. I recall the groceries at the local markets were quite expensive as well as gas.

I live in a pretty rural spot, kind of an island surrounded by trees. It's a long drive most places but still I can hop in my car and get out of town so I understand the fear of island fever. Food and gas and super expensive where I live so the prices don't shock me and the Costco is same price as here. There are a few farmers markets I have been to and a natural foods store that I have not been to but will check out this week when I'm there looking for a place to stay.

It should be very livable and the job is good. If I get a little bored I can always move back in a few years.

The commute! Dear lord the commute! Traffic sucks in Hawaii. Are you going to be close to work??

not on islands not oahu, afaik
I went to Oahu last month and traffic is terrible. That island's roads were not meant to have as many cars on it. They are in the process of improving highways etc etc so traffic blows.

Weird thing too, their highways are usually 45 mph. Some points 55 but most of the time 45.

Traffic and prices aren't that bad. I'd definitely go the Costco route for food and gas. Supermarkets around here are pretty expensive, and their gas is like a dollar cheaper.

Finding a place could be hard, everyone I've talked to has been ending up more down south. 3 of the last 5 people I know looking for a new place ended up in Oceanview. So be ready to spend if you're set on Kailua.

And send a pm when you get here, I'll take ya out and buy ya a drink.

I would do it. I love Hawaii but I don't have kids and admittedly that would make my decision harder.

I went to Oahu last month and traffic is terrible. That island's roads were not meant to have as many cars on it. They are in the process of improving highways etc etc so traffic blows.

Weird thing too, their highways are usually 45 mph. Some points 55 but most of the time 45.
thats what im sayin. oahu is the only one w bad traffic really. They other islands arent nearly as densely populated.

though some of them have fairly major roads that only have a single lane

Mostly it's been great, spent yesterday at the beach. I did not like the job much so I left it a few weeks ago and will start looking for something else in the next month or so. I've been just goofing off lately. I do miss my kids (a lot) and California (a little) but am going back to visit next month. My kids come out often to visit too and bring their friends which I enjoy a lot. We snapchat back and forth everyday and talk often which helps a lot.

I love my house and the area I live in and you can wear shorts everyday because it's so warm. The food in California is a lot better then what you can get here except for the tropical fruits. I'm enjoying a papaya for breakfast as I type this and I have become comfortable buy most of my food from Costco.

Mostly it's been great, spent yesterday at the beach. I did not like the job much so I left it a few weeks ago and will start looking for something else in the next month or so. I've been just goofing off lately. I do miss my kids (a lot) and California (a little) but am going back to visit next month. My kids come out often to visit too and bring their friends which I enjoy a lot. We snapchat back and forth everyday and talk often which helps a lot.

I love my house and the area I live in and you can wear shorts everyday because it's so warm. The food in California is a lot better then what you can get here except for the tropical fruits. I'm enjoying a papaya for breakfast as I type this and I have become comfortable buy most of my food from Costco.
I stayed in Waikiki for a month. Man even the tourist trap at 1000x inflation was hella fun. Got drunk woke up on the beach twice a week.

How is the big Island? You trying to take up surfing? Man...not having your job there anymore...you sure that was a good move? How much is rent?

I recently retired from the Army thinking about moving over there

Back