Thinking of Moving to the Big Island, Kailua Kona Hawaii

A friend sent me this about 2 weeks ago.

2mmdd1y.jpg

If you like paying a shitload for food that expires in a week, racist Hawaiians, expensive real estate, and being stuck on a small island that's a 9 hour plane flight away from civilization, then Hawaii might be for you.

Milk is a ripoff there but there is a Costco. In fact, Costco has the same prices as on the mainland. Food is super expensive where I live now. The two stores where I do most of my grocery shopping are priced higher than Whole Foods. Also, real estate is high where I live currently, I'm in a small town on the California coast.

I'm surprised you would leave your kids to be honest.

This is my biggest consideration. My oldest starts college in the Fall, Berkeley and my youngest will be a Junior. She considered the move and we took a tour of the school over there but she decided against it. I can put my start date off for about 6 months so I will only be missing 1.5 years of here high school experience. I can bring her out for holidays and come back for certain events. This is the most difficult part of my decision.

I'm talking about where I live now, a very rural part of the Northern California Coast. It's five hours drive to SF when the road is not washed out. Took me six+ hours last weekend because the road (HWY 101) was closed.

Dude where in the world are u living that it takes 5 hours to get to sf, but is still in norcal? I can't get that to compute

Milk is a ripoff there but there is a Costco. In fact, Costco has the same prices as on the mainland. Food is super expensive where I live now. The two stores where I do most of my grocery shopping are priced higher than Whole Foods. Also, real estate is high where I live currently, I'm in a small town on the California coast.
Food in Costco is still more expensive in Hawaii than the mainland, except maybe the food court. There are lots of drawbacks to living in Hawaii. A lot of people have trouble adapting to life there and don't last long.

Do it TS.. I used to live in Kona for a few years. Awesome lil community imo

I live in Kailua, just moved from NY.

It's expensive, but entirely worth it. Been coming here for 27 years and it's still amazing.

I'm talking about where I live now, a very rural part of the Northern California Coast. It's five hours drive to SF when the road is not washed out. Took me six+ hours last weekend because the road (HWY 101) was closed.

Ah.... But there are other cities closer to you. Did you say you're on an island?? Can't think of where that would be.

Edit: ah, remote and rural area. Humboldt?

i lived in Oahu for two years. granted both islands are in hawaii, they are two separate lifestyles. if your white, stay in the tourist or white areas.

How much will you be making there? norcal is probably some of the highest cost of living in the nation but things like food and everyday items are cheap. in hawaii, the basics like gasoline, electricity, and milk are so damn expensive. depending on where you live on the big island, you might be so damn hot because no trade winds to cool you off.

Okay so I just got a job offer in Kailua Kona, Hawaii. Similar money to what I'm making here in NorCal but better company, better benefits and better prospects for promotion. I can buy a sweet house there with a view of the sunsets and It's one of my favorite places I have ever been.

Anyone live in Hawaii and have an opinion on life there? My kids will be on the mainland but would be stoked to come visit when they had the time.

Thoughts?

I've been living on Big Island for nearly eight years. I love it. Here's some drawbacks.

• You're out in the middle of nowhere (but it sounds like you already are) and you need to get on a plane to get anywhere.
  • People oftentimes find the distance between them and their loved ones problematic. It's a big reason why people move back to the mainland.
  • There's not an abundance of medical services. Primary care physicians have waiting lists. For major surgery you'd be flying to Oahu.
  • Prices on gas and electricity are the nation's highest. But not as big a shock coming from NoCal as it would be Arkansas or something.
  • Job Career opportunities are sparse. Since you've got one already no worries there.
  • The live music scene is horrible. For obvious reasons touring bands don't often come here. Lucky if you get has-beens from the '70's and '80's.

On the plus side it's paradise with a more rural setting. Kona is a little hot for my liking and Hilo is too rainy. I settled in up North on the West side past the resorts. And yes, living up in some elevation helps with the temp. If you want to be by the ocean then you might have to go with something in town on the main drag. Most of the subdivisions are set back a bit. You also get more vog in Kona so the further you get from the sea the less you can see it. I hear you on sunsets. I have an unobstructed view of the sun setting into the ocean all year round. It's pretty awesome.

I haven't lived there but I've been thinking about moving there myself recently and am trying to figure out which island would be best. I've heard the biggest island is the best.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Of the main three I'd sum it up like this. Go to Oahu if you want the most people and activity. Go to Big Island if you want the least. Go to Maui if you're looking for something in between. :cool:

If you don't mind people there hating you because you are white, and have a good job, go for it.

Dude where in the world are u living that it takes 5 hours to get to sf, but is still in norcal? I can't get that to compute

Humboldt County. It's seven hours drive from San Francisco to the Oregon border. Del Norte County is the northern most county in California if you go along the coast.

I live in Kailua, just moved from NY.

It's expensive, but entirely worth it. Been coming here for 27 years and it's still amazing.

Great to know, my first visit to that area was in early 1970's and have been in love with the area ever since.

Ah.... But there are other cities closer to you. Did you say you're on an island?? Can't think of where that would be.

Edit: ah, remote and rural area. Humboldt?

Great guess, I live in Humboldt. An island surrounded by trees.

I saw on the news even on Oahu, many homes have cesspools or septic tanks, not even connected to sewer system. Nasty!

When it floods from constant heavy rain, shit everywhere overflowing.

Hope you like spam
Spam is delicious....
Yes I grew up poor.
No I am not poor now.
I can't help but still like to eat things that I grew up on.
Spam is delicious....

It's one of my favorite places I have ever been.
have you been to big island specifically? speaking as someone who lives on oahu and has visited big island a few times, most people here find the big island is a bit boring to live on but is a bit more beautiful/less populated as well.

have you been to big island specifically? speaking as someone who lives on oahu and has visited big island a few times, most people here find the big island is a bit boring to live on but is a bit more beautiful/less populated as well.

Yes, my first trip to the Big Island was in the early 70's. I have been there maybe 8 times. Sure there is not a lot going on but I am good with that and the natural beauty. I currently live in a pretty rural area so it won't be too much of a shock for me.

Was in maui in September. Place is paradise dropped in the middle of the ocean. After 10 days though I missed my family and was ready to go.

Back