Thinking of getting an iPad, but have alot of questions.

Um dude, get Dropbox. Put your comics there. Sync when you need to. You're wasting precious iPad space.

A pro is a horribly expensive option but if you've got money to burn...

I'm fine with my iPad mini 2.

You sound poor.

J/K. Just jabbing ya.

I prefer actually having the hardware storage with everything backed up by external harddrives.

I used Dropbox to put 10gb of comics onto my Mini, and it was a painfully slow process. I hate the idea of doing all 50+gb onto a new IPad, that'll take a fucking week.

You sound poor.

J/K. Just jabbing ya.

I prefer actually having the hardware storage with everything backed up by external harddrives.

I used Dropbox to put 10gb of comics onto my Mini, and it was a painfully slow process. I hate the idea of doing all 50+gb onto a new IPad, that'll take a fucking week.

I'm poor...

I'm not talking about using Dropbox to transfer everything but about using Dropbox to read comics on the fly, reading 'online' if you will. Or you can put a week worth of comics available in offline mode and that will be what, 5gb at most?

A Pro is fucking expensive and really a major investment that's not worth it. I played around with one - it's good if you want to play graphic intensive games but that's a bit stupid if you have a PC or console.

I pretend not be a geek but this is being written on a iPhone 7 with 128 gb... I'm thinking about getting a 'new' iPad but I'll buy a used previous gen when the next comes out.

A Pro is fucking expensive and really a major investment that's not worth it.

Check out the link Madmick posted earlier. A 12" Pro is around $1000 with 256gb. The link he posted on Ebay from a seller with a very high satisfactory percentage, has it for $760.

I was thinking I was going to spend that much for the 9.7" Pro.

Thats a damn deal right there.

It ain't cheap, but thats why I'm asking so many questions to make every dollar I spend on it worth the purchase.

I'm poor...

I'm not talking about using Dropbox to transfer everything but about using Dropbox to read comics on the fly, reading 'online' if you will. Or you can put a week worth of comics available in offline mode and that will be what, 5gb at most?

A Pro is fucking expensive and really a major investment that's not worth it. I played around with one - it's good if you want to play graphic intensive games but that's a bit stupid if you have a PC or console.

I pretend not be a geek but this is being written on a iPhone 7 with 128 gb... I'm thinking about getting a 'new' iPad but I'll buy a used previous gen when the next comes out.
I must protest. Pros are incredible and definitely worth the investment based on screen space. I have extensive experience with the Pro owned by my friend. The 13" screen is a big deal, if that's what he wants, and what separates it among tablets. Furthermore, I've never heard anyone complain about spending too much money on the bigger storage models of iPads. Ever. Not once. This goes back half a decade. I've heard dozens of friends bemoan that they didn't opt to spend more for a bigger model who got the baseline.

Alternatively, he could try finding an old iPad Air 16GB new for ~$300.

He would be relatively miserable with it: watching uploads crawl, not being able to access his material when he's on the road and out of cellular range, dealing with the hassle of a fragmented library across devices and maybe forgetting where he has what, etc. Then there's always the fact that the iPad Air has some serious weaknesses against it as a piece of hardware:
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5797&idPhone2=7562
A much weaker processor, 1/4 the RAM (this is going to matter dealing with libraries his size), inferior display size (one of the biggest costs of producing a tablet), inferior resolution, inferior LTE speeds for the Cellular versions, inferior WiFi standard, inferior cameras, no NFC, no fingerprint sensor or barometer, and maybe the biggest drawback: USB2 vs. USB3. Supposing he has a PC/laptop with USB3 this will make a massive difference in transfer speeds for large chunks of files. It makes just as big a difference in charge times. It also lacks a Stylus and pressure sensitivity. Fun for drawing.

Dropbox is cool. Calibre networks with Dropbox. It can automatically output portions of your library to Dropbox. Hell, you can choose to store your library in the local folders where your Dropbox is pointed to sync. In fact, there's even a Calibre app on Android called "Calibre Cloud" that allows you to access it, and integrates with any of the Cloud services if you happen to prefer a different one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intrepidlogic.calibrecloud&hl=en
Bottom line is that Calibre makes it unbelievably easy to move all of your content around: to any app or platform or service. So use it to move stuff to Dropbox, then use a comic viewer like Perfect Viewer to access and browse.

The above are all rudimentary solutions. If you really know what you're doing you just open a port with password protection and run an OPDS server that stays on at home all the time. On the go, you can access and browse your entire Calibre contents, as a lovely bookshelf (such as it would appear in iBooks or Aldiko), no matter how large your library, from out in the world, via cellular networks or public WiFi or whatever, without paying superfluous subscription fees for larger storage space with the Cloud services like Dropbox. Those services are designed to milk you.

With one click you can download any book in your library, directly from where you browsed to access it in your app (I use Moonreader), remotely, straight from your PC at home. Great strategy if you know you're about to head into wasteland of cellular reception. Just click the "Import" button and it downloads the selected book(s) you're currently reading to the local storage, and you're good. Now you don't need internet to continue reading.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy any iOS device with less than 64gb but going really high end with a 12" tablet... that's a big fucking chunk of glass.

I wouldn't buy any iOS device with less than 64gb but going really high end with a 12" tablet... that's a big fucking chunk of glass.
Indeed, but that's your preference, and the size of the display is precisely why so many like it for Comics. Gear has to figure out for himself if he finds it too unwieldy. He might, but I definitely think he should check into a Best Buy and put his hands on one before deciding if he wants to buy from that eBay seller.

No prob. It's a forum, so I'm sure others will find this useful. eBooks are a big deal to me, so I'm quite experienced with all of this.

Deal looks like a pretty good market price. That's beating Amazon on the Silver unit by ~$35:

But you can do better here. Check out this eBay store for more options. These are the open boxes or other "New" condition returns, not the refurbs, at least allegedly, and the seller has a great reputation, so I like the look of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-WARRANTY-iPad-Pro-9-7-12-9-inch-32-128-256-GB-Gold-Silver-Gray-Tablets-/152347736676?var=&hash=item2378a1fa64:m:mpku54JShJSzxBvT7tJOKTA
  • $659 for the Silver iPad Pro 9.7" 256GB
  • $759 for the Silver iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB
That's an incredible deal on the iPad Pro 12.9". Don't even look at the 9.7" for a mere $100 less (lower resolution, half the RAM, lower clock on the processor, less battery life...only the cameras are superior if that matters to you). The Pro 12" is considered the ultimate Comic Book eReader device ever made.

So..... I FINALLY made the decision to buy the IPad 12.9" 256gb, after going to a Best Buy and realizing the 12.9" is going to be perfect.

And I just now clicked on the ad to see... OUT OF STOCK...

rage-face.jpg

You might consider waiting to see if this seller strikes any more 256GB units from wherever he is getting those, but then, I don't know how fleeting these units might be, themselves.

I'll start checking on a daily basis.

I'm pretty patient.

You might consider waiting to see if this seller strikes any more 256GB units from wherever he is getting those, but then, I don't know how fleeting these units might be, themselves

And I sent the seller a message, asking to send me a text when he estimates he'll get more in, and another when he gets one in stock, and I'll complete the order and send payment within a hour and will make a glowing feedback.

And I sent the seller a message, asking to send me a text when he estimates he'll get more in, and another when he gets one in stock, and I'll complete the order and send payment within a hour and will make a glowing feedback.
Maybe wedge in a "pretty please" that he sends you a unit that was purely open box, and not a "Demo" unit that was used in stores. Those often gets mixed in these sales with the traditional returns & open boxes because I believe they qualify as "New (Other)", not "Used". I saw another top seller with units listed at $800, but the latter were mixed in, and the warranty was only 60 days, not the full warranty.

Maybe wedge in a "pretty please" that he sends you a unit that was purely open box, and not a "Demo" unit that was used in stores. Those often gets mixed in these sales with the traditional returns & open boxes because I believe they qualify as "New (Other)", not "Used". I saw another top seller with units listed at $800, but the latter were mixed in, and the warranty was only 60 days, not the full warranty.

Checked the Ebay page last night and was surprised to see he updated the page and he had one in stock.

I went ahead and fullfilled the order with payment.

While I was on Ebay, I ordered a leather case and screen protector.

Looking forward to swinging by my house in a week or two and checking it out.

I have a ipad mini. It's pretty convenient when I don't feel like getting out the laptop or don't feel like packing my big ass gaming laptop.

Back