thinking about Kyokushin competition

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am considering possibly competing in a kyokushin karate fight or tournament. Would like to hear your guys thoughts and opinions about this? How much different will my training be vs muay thai? I am thinking basically the same, just dont punch the face, and be prepared for axe kicks and spinning kicks.

Hey guys, I am considering possibly competing in a kyokushin karate fight or tournament. Would like to hear your guys thoughts and opinions about this? How much different will my training be vs muay thai? I am thinking basically the same, just dont punch the face, and be prepared for axe kicks and spinning kicks.

You'll pick up some new tricks for sure, but just don't fight like stephen thompson in the ring lol.

Have you been drinking too much again........

Go for it bro. Just watch out getting preoccupied with the fisticuffs. It's the kicks that pack a big wallop.

What about shotokan?

Go to Machida. He knows.

Have you been drinking too much again........

It kinda goes back to my karate question that got all the karate guys upset. When I open my own gym I want a kids karate class but I was thinking of combining it with muay thai somehow, a karate influenced muay thai, as IMO, is a highly effective striking style. However I have been told that trraining KK is so similar to MT I may not find it usefull. They are definitely similar in many ways, but also different in many ways as well. I was hoping my MT would carry over into the karate, and surely it would with KK because they are so similar. There would still be plenty to learn, but anyways what better way to get good at KK than fighting in it? I really dont see a KK fight being much different than a MT fight and if I compete in KK, that should earn me some credibility to incorporate it into my muay thai program.

It kinda goes back to my karate question that got all the karate guys upset. When I open my own gym I want a kids karate class but I was thinking of combining it with muay thai somehow, a karate influenced muay thai, as IMO, is a highly effective striking style. However I have been told that trraining KK is so similar to MT I may not find it usefull. They are definitely similar in many ways, but also different in many ways as well. I was hoping my MT would carry over into the karate, and surely it would with KK because they are so similar. There would still be plenty to learn, but anyways what better way to get good at KK than fighting in it? I really dont see a KK fight being much different than a MT fight and if I compete in KK, that should earn me some credibility to incorporate it into my muay thai program.

I think it has to do with the lack of MT in your area. I hope for Samart and Diesel Noi to visit you in your dreams and get you back on the path.........

If you have too, bring in coloured arm bands for the kids and give them a grading system...... But teach them MT

If you have too, bring in coloured arm bands for the kids and give them a grading system...... But teach them MT

I got a few tricks up my sleeve

I think it has to do with the lack of MT in your area. I hope for Samart and Diesel Noi to visit you in your dreams and get you back on the path.........

yeah i can see your point and agree to an extent but there are things MT is lacking such as footwork/angles/head movement, and there are also many various forms of attacks that is lacking as well such as the various spinning kicks, axe kicks, side kicks. Also kicking in a different manner, using both MT roundhouses, as well as snappy karate kicks. I just attended the anissa meksen seminar, she is very fast, her style of kicking is much more "karate" like, meaning flicky/snappy. She is french and I believe her coach has a background in savate. Point being, it works, so why not use both. I used to be very closed minded on karate, I personally dont think I was able to see the usefull things in it until I got to my current skill level. Taking a loot at saenchai for example, he does quite a few kicks with the foot that are flicky/snappy, I specifically asked him this question and he told me to "snap" and use the foot, depending on the target, such as inside thigh for example.

I got a few tricks up my sleeve

yeah i can see your point and agree to an extent but there are things MT is lacking such as footwork/angles/head movement, and there are also many various forms of attacks that is lacking as well such as the various spinning kicks, axe kicks, side kicks. Also kicking in a different manner, using both MT roundhouses, as well as snappy karate kicks. I just attended the anissa meksen seminar, she is very fast, her style of kicking is much more "karate" like, meaning flicky/snappy. She is french and I believe her coach has a background in savate. Point being, it works, so why not use both. I used to be very closed minded on karate, I personally dont think I was able to see the usefull things in it until I got to my current skill level. Taking a loot at saenchai for example, he does quite a few kicks with the foot that are flicky/snappy, I specifically asked him this question and he told me to "snap" and use the foot, depending on the target, such as inside thigh for example.

MT has footwork/angles/head movement......

I understand you are trying to run a business......as well.

yeah im on board with the color arm bands for the youngsters. it is a way to provide a improvement ladder or soemthing along those lines without competing, and its something Americans are familiar with from karate. Just because you have armbands doesnt mean the MT will be watered down but 90% of your customers will not compete and are there for fitness, self defense, or tell ppl they "train ufc". I wont water my MT down, ppl want to rush into spinning back elbows, lets learn the correct 1-2 first lol. Even for self defense, a strong clean solid 1-2 is going to do you much better. You see it all the time on instagram, mainly women, their technique is absolutely horrible, yet the coach has them doing some long elaborate combination. the girl cant jab, yet shes doing spinning back fists. horrible coaching IMO. The cop out is that they are doing it for fitness, its like I can assure you that you can get just as good of a work out learning the proper 1-2 as you can with your flashy nonsense. I dont want to sound cocky or whatever but I would like to become the Cus D'amato of Muay Thai, and I am hoping I can earn that one day.

yeah im on board with the color arm bands for the youngsters. it is a way to provide a improvement ladder or soemthing along those lines without competing, and its something Americans are familiar with from karate. Just because you have armbands doesnt mean the MT will be watered down but 90% of your customers will not compete and are there for fitness, self defense, or tell ppl they "train ufc". I wont water my MT down, ppl want to rush into spinning back elbows, lets learn the correct 1-2 first lol. Even for self defense, a strong clean solid 1-2 is going to do you much better. You see it all the time on instagram, mainly women, their technique is absolutely horrible, yet the coach has them doing some long elaborate combination. the girl cant jab, yet shes doing spinning back fists. horrible coaching IMO. The cop out is that they are doing it for fitness, its like I can assure you that you can get just as good of a work out learning the proper 1-2 as you can with your flashy nonsense. I dont want to sound cocky or whatever but I would like to become the Cus D'amato of Muay Thai, and I am hoping I can earn that one day.

Always throw in a cheeky move in the last 5mins of the class to keep noobs happy.......

I’m not sure that KK has the best examples of head movement/footwork/angles?
Isn’t the Dutch style of kickboxing like Ramon Dekkers a good example of combining Muay Thai and Kyokashin?

I’m not sure that KK has the best examples of head movement/footwork/angles?
Isn’t the Dutch style of kickboxing like Ramon Dekkers a good example of combining Muay Thai and Kyokashin?

He has boxing training too, personally I think the only reason you should use some head movement like the slips, is when you know they are going to throw a 1-2. The instructors i trained with always told me if your just moving your head to each side then you'll get head kicked in muay thai.

It kinda goes back to my karate question that got all the karate guys upset. When I open my own gym I want a kids karate class but I was thinking of combining it with muay thai somehow, a karate influenced muay thai, as IMO, is a highly effective striking style.
Pajama Muay Thai

Back