Thinking about a cage fight.

Ideally I'd say train striking and grappling 4 times a week in the gym - but if classes aren't going I'd say go to whatever classes are available but then have a day at home where you go for a run, do push ups/pull ups, lift some weights, whatever your routine is.

If you're good on the ground and you want the edge striking, practise fake takedowns into uppercuts, and feinting jabs into takedowns. That way it doesn't matter if you're not as comfortable standing - the threat of the takedown will give you a slight edge.

Sorta, we get gi at our gym when we start, but not everybody wears them. So i'm versed a bit in gi and no gi.[/QUOTE]

Good.

I've seen some shit coaches now I think about it.

I've seen my share of very, very, shitty situations... From coaches, judges, referees, venue owners, promoters...
When you think about it, the fighters are often the more civil/human people in it...

I've seen a coach slap his student. Heavy curses while they fight. Leave in the middle of the fight (And when it's happen in TKD, it's a very bad sight... you have an empty chair on the side of the mats. For the other arts, you have other people, it's not so obvious, specially if its a ring or cage). Coaches leaving early, taking the rest of the team with them, leaving the student to go back home alone...
I've seen judges playing with their phones, half sleeping, and in general not giving a fack about whats happening in front of them. One judge properly left in the middle of the match, and went to the next ring to help with the coaching of his former student...
Referees knot knowing when to stop a beatdown, talking to other people while the fight is going on, and lot's of times not knowing subtle rules (or even basic ones).
For the promoters and the owners... Fack it... it's not only the underworld, mafias etc... You have to deal often with cons, cheap facks, stupid, inexperienced, incapable people...

And all that, without even talking about bribed or blackmailed, menaced ones...

congrats on gathering the courage to want to step into the ring!

Nobody on the forum is going to be able to do much of anything for you here. This really is a job of your coach and gym. Speak with your coach, let him know you want to fight. He should be able to make the determination whether your ready or not. If you have been training regularly as you said. I think all you would need is a 6 week camp to prepare for a fight. But yeah man we really cant help without being there in person and seeing how you move etc. The only thing I could think of would be if you posted video of you training and sparring that might give us half an idea of your skill level, but even then we still cant really do anything. I would say talk to your coach and get back with us with an update.

I've seen my share of very, very, shitty situations... From coaches, judges, referees, venue owners, promoters...
When you think about it, the fighters are often the more civil/human people in it...

I've seen a coach slap his student. Heavy curses while they fight. Leave in the middle of the fight (And when it's happen in TKD, it's a very bad sight... you have an empty chair on the side of the mats. For the other arts, you have other people, it's not so obvious, specially if its a ring or cage). Coaches leaving early, taking the rest of the team with them, leaving the student to go back home alone...
I've seen judges playing with their phones, half sleeping, and in general not giving a fack about whats happening in front of them. One judge properly left in the middle of the match, and went to the next ring to help with the coaching of his former student...
Referees knot knowing when to stop a beatdown, talking to other people while the fight is going on, and lot's of times not knowing subtle rules (or even basic ones).
For the promoters and the owners... Fack it... it's not only the underworld, mafias etc... You have to deal often with cons, cheap facks, stupid, inexperienced, incapable people...

And all that, without even talking about bribed or blackmailed, menaced ones...
the fighters are for the most part the innocent ones, everyone else is there for an easy paycheck, the promoters and coaches get dirty to advance their position even if its by a cm. I get a feeling there's no rule and guidelines they had to undergo before becoming a ref at some of these events.

Exhibition events are worse now. These days its not about the fighters, its a pissing contest for gyms. And they make a point by sandbagging their guys in. They get away with it because:

1) who's gonna rat the gym out that's looking to bring a 10-2 against a 0-0?
2) you look like a wuss attempting to rat the guy out for cheatin'

The whole point of it is for very new guys to get their feet wet before jumping into a sanctioned fight, now its completely off base. Its kinda a chuckle to see the guy go in as a novice and everyone in the crowd knows their real record

Bias judges are funny too, because at these small events they lack all form of professionalism so they don't even hide it. We went to a big MT tourney in Iowa a few years back, my teammate's fight came to a decision. And as soon as the opponent's hand got raised, one of the judges jumped in celebration. C'mon man, have some self-control

And as soon as the opponent's hand got raised, one of the judges jumped in celebration. C'mon man, have some self-control

Ha! I haven't seen that one yet. I've seen some of them been happy about the decision, with that stupid smirk in their face, like they did a good job... But not yet an open celebration.

Ha! I haven't seen that one yet. I've seen some of them been happy about the decision, with that stupid smirk in their face, like they did a good job... But not yet an open celebration.

Hey a puppet loves a hand up the ass dont it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back