Things I wish I had realized younger than 29 years old

Steven_Universe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1. Self care and meditation is very important.
Taking 15 minutes a day to breathe and relax makes a big difference.

2. Maintaining relationships with people and friends is really important and improves the quality of your life. Be there for family and friends and come to them when you’re down. Don’t be an island.

Don't take extended periods of time off from physical training. I had some pretty significant lulls in there with kids coming along and stuff . Im in very good if not great shape for close to 40 , but the key to being at your best is slowly building with consistency over time . Hard to put a value on how much a year or 2 of fucking around effects you negatively , or at least non positively down the road.

TLDR: all you young cunts with years of prime left in front of you would be well served by making the most of it.

try not to lose your temper and get caught up in emotions. Lets the past be the past so you can move forward and have new meaningful experiences.

1. Self care and meditation is very important.
Taking 15 minutes a day to breathe and relax makes a big difference.

2. Maintaining relationships with people and friends is really important and improves the quality of your life. Be there for family and friends and come to them when you’re down. Don’t be an island.

Point #2 should be more frequently mentioned, I've noticed that Americans tend to drift off as they grow up and start their adult lives. Back home it's different, family and friends are more valued and remain much more of a part in one's life than here. Lots of reasons why, but I think it's predominantly the fact that here people think that work is all there is, something with intrinsic value, and a priority over all else. Where I come from, people work just as hard but they also understand that life received meaning from meaningful interactions with friends and family and they come first. Before I moved here I used to see my friends from back home every week, go out during the week to grab coffee, chill on weekends and shit. Here, I'm lucky if I see them once a month, and some much less frequently.

There's a ton of motherfuckers here who will die with a lot of regrets related to this. Or, worse yet, never having realized there was anything worth regretting...

Everytime I didnt believe my parents, they were right.

Don't take things for granted bc time passes by faster it seems each year

Point #2 should be more frequently mentioned, I've noticed that Americans tend to drift off as they grow up and start their adult lives. Back home it's different, family and friends are more valued and remain much more of a part in one's life than here. Lots of reasons why, but I think it's predominantly the fact that here people think that work is all there is, something with intrinsic value, and a priority over all else. Where I come from, people work just as hard but they also understand that life received meaning from meaningful interactions with friends and family and they come first. Before I moved here I used to see my friends from back home every week, go out during the week to grab coffee, chill on weekends and shit. Here, I'm lucky if I see them once a month, and some much less frequently.

There's a ton of motherfuckers here who will die with a lot of regrets related to this. Or, worse yet, never having realized there was anything worth regretting...

I’m turning that around right now. My boys are coming over on Thursday to hang out and shoot the shit. And I’m seeing my cousin on Friday.

I see my parents on Sunday’s

I’m turning that around right now. My boys are coming over on Thursday to hang out and shoot the shit. And I’m seeing my cousin on Friday.

I see my parents on Sunday’s

Fucking right, do it! People are all that matters... Well, dogs, then people, but you get the point

Dulling anxiety with drugs and alcohol just makes it much worse in the long run. Finding the root cause and really working on your faults helps extremely.

Giving up being an atheist and finding my own conception of god helped to but that's not for everyone I know

Appreciate things more. Because not all things will be there later. Free time is gone once you have a family. Hiking, biking, everything like that has a limit. At some point it starts to get a lot harder to do. And damn. Appreciate the girls when you are young. When you are older, all ya can do is look at a tight body and try to remember what they were like.

Change number one to self care and medication and I’m on board. Of course, I already realized that at 29.

Don't get drunk and fight strangers. You will wind up with a broken hand that never healed right and hurts in winter.

I did one of these for my 40th birthdays....let me find it.

The top 10 things my 40 year old self would like to tell my 20 year old self.

10. Stretch, religiously.
9. Don't wait till you're 30 to start drinking wine.
8. Donald Trump will be President. SERIOUSLY.
7. Oprah might be too
6. 2 words. Bruce Jenner. LOL, on second thought I'm not gonna tell you about that.
5. Start investing with spare cash.
4. In addition to being something that can protect you, guns are fun, m'kay?
3. Get that motorcycle BEFORE you meet Lisa. (my wife)
2. Stay away from social media and write letters like you used to. (Oh and MySpace sucks really bad)

And the number 1 thing my 40 year old self would like to tell my 20 year old self:

1. Life is short and fleeting. Smoke a cigar, read a book, drink some scotch. Go for a walk and take it all in. Enjoy your family and friends, screw everyone else. Enjoy life but not at the expense of not being prepared for death. Moderation in everything you do is paramount. We are here for a very short time in the grand scheme of things. Make it worth YOUR while.

That's some Mike Rowe shit right there.

Don't fuck around too long. Find a good woman and marry her.
Be a man. Set an example for your kids. My 2 cents.

Back