Things are getting awkward at my gym

BwamSolid

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Making good progress in the past months training 5 times a week consistently, no serious injuries (knock on wood) doing pretty good in competition etc... Just found out that my main training partner signed up to a competition i'm doing this weekend. I'm glad he's doing it and it's just going to push me that much more. But at the same time we are in the same bracket both doing no gi we are going to face off for sure. On one side I'm thinking it's no big deal we go hard in the gym everyday but on the other hand, competition is a whole other level of aggressiveness. He doesn't like to loose at all and I don't either so it's going to be interesting to say the least. He's a real cool cat, we roll hard but keep it respectful and always make sure not to injure each other (as with all other training partners) but this last week I can feel it, something in the air I guess. The intensity creeping up, no joking around. I notice sometimes he sits out of a round and will watch me like a hawk Hahaha. Like I said no big deal just started this thread I guess to get feedback on the before/during/after competing against training partners and how that went for you guys.

They should put you on opposite sides of the bracket. So don't count your chickens and all that......

I've competed against teammates plenty of times. Win some, lose some.

Don't worry about it.

Who cares if you face off? You guys training to be world champs or something?

They should put you on opposite sides of the bracket. So don't count your chickens and all that......

Ok that's what I'm hoping for

I've competed against teammates plenty of times. Win some, lose some.

Don't worry about it.

Yea, I feel you. We'll see how it goes. But push come to shuv i'm gonna try and take his neck from him LOL

Who cares if you face off? You guys training to be world champs or something?

Excellent, thanks for your feed back sir !

So you're starting to sense a...rift in the gym?

This is our last training week before the competition, if shit hits the fan at the gym i'll let you guys know lol

Last edited:
White belts with 6 months training make the funniest thread topics i swear. Whoaaa bro, you better watch out for his americana.

I hate it myself. I end up having a mental roadblock when I go against teammates. I tend to usually just let them through unless it's the only match in the bracket then it's a case of "stuff it, we've already paid out entry fee"

If you meet in the final, it was a good day. You make each other stronger in training so his success is also your success, and vis versa

White belts with 6 months training make the funniest thread topics i swear. Whoaaa bro, you better watch out for his americana.

Hahaha. I guess competing against training partners is a common thing at your level. If you don't mind sharing can you tell us how that went for you? Thanks

I hate it myself. I end up having a mental roadblock when I go against teammates. I tend to usually just let them through unless it's the only match in the bracket then it's a case of "stuff it, we've already paid out entry fee"

What did you mean by" let then through", like let them win?

If you meet in the final, it was a good day. You make each other stronger in training so his success is also your success, and vis versa

I like what you said there, I hadn't looked at it that way. Your absolutely right.

F him. Who cares what bracket he's in? Show some mental toughness and be a winner.

Is the division you will be competing in stacked? Or is it one of those "2-3 people" in that division?

Take him out in the locker room to maximize your chances of winning.

I've competed against teammates many times over the years. We always just treat it like any other match.

Just go out there, may the better man win, shake hands and keep helping each other.

What did you mean by" let then through", like let them win?

I like what you said there, I hadn't looked at it that way. Your absolutely right.

Pretty much. I'm old enough and gave up on my world champion dreams a few eyars ago when life kicked in. Training is just for fun and I enter comps to give myself focus.

The other thing we do at my club when we run into each other in tournaments is "rock, paper, scissors". Right in the middle of the mat.

I feigned ignorance for a nogi semi- final match so my team mate can proceed to the finals directly, I won my 1st match. I was bumped up a weightclass because there were no competitors in my division. I supposed it would be better if he gets the gold for the division he signed up with & because I already won the gold for gi in my division. Then he thanked me after he got his gold & told me that it was good we didn't faced each other because he didn't want to subbed me. Now that was awkward. My eyebrows raised. I'm still chuckling when I remember that moment.

Was hoping for a Sitcharoo thread, I am disappointed.

My advice, find out detailed personal information about him and his family, use it to leverage yourself into the good end of a closeout.

Loose and lose are two different terms.

Loose vs. lose
Lose is only a verb. To lose is to suffer a loss, to be deprived of, to part with, or to fail to keep possession of.

Loose is mainly an adjective used to describe things that are not tightly fitted. Where it is a verb, it means to release—for example, they loosed the dogs on the intruders—but the word is only rarely used this way. It also has a noun sense mainly confined to the idiom on the loose, which means at large. When you need a verb meaning to partially release or to relax, loosen is usually the best choice.

http://grammarist.com/usage/loose-lose/

Is the division you will be competing in stacked? Or is it one of those "2-3 people" in that division?

Yesterday I checked the line up and it was only me him and another guy signed up. This morning I checked again (last night was the deadline to sign up) and we are now 10 in our bracket. Now all we need to do is secure 1st and second place ;-)

Loose and lose are two different terms.

Loose vs. lose
Lose is only a verb. To lose is to suffer a loss, to be deprived of, to part with, or to fail to keep possession of.

Loose is mainly an adjective used to describe things that are not tightly fitted. Where it is a verb, it means to release—for example, they loosed the dogs on the intruders—but the word is only rarely used this way. It also has a noun sense mainly confined to the idiom on the loose, which means at large. When you need a verb meaning to partially release or to relax, loosen is usually the best choice.

http://grammarist.com/usage/loose-lose/

Oh shit LOL! Please excuse my spelling english isn't my first language

Back