Thierry Sokodjou and Francis Ngannou.. Biggest hypetrains

meh. ngannou choked and well too all out in the first.
when they fight again. a composed ngannou might be a different story.

Don't forget about Rogers, Abedi, Manhoef, and Wesley Snipes.

Ngannou made it to the end of an UFC championship fight. His hype was far more justified than Soko's ever was.

Ngannou made it to the end of an UFC championship fight. His hype was far more justified than Soko's ever was.
If PRIDE still existed in 2007, Sokoudjou would've been fighting Hendo for the LHW title... Wouldn't even surprise me if he won.

Both guys have fought tons of killers and fared fine. Not everyone goes undefeated.
Totally different styles too.
But hey, they're both black so....???

A lot of where Ngannou goes from here will depend not only on his recovery ability but, even more fundamentally, old fashioned work ethic. Sokoudjou was rather widely known as being the kind fo guy who let whatever physical abilities he was born with carry him for his whole fight path. If Ngannou does that he could falter and fall even harder. Certainly how much he gains the ability to fight effectively for 5 rounds is gonna have a lot to do with that.

I do have to say, this time I made sure to take note of the issues involved in overpromoting a fighter, especially at this weighty class, based solely on power and intimidation power. This time I called it well before it happened.

Yet derailed

Can't think of any other major let's downs.

Maybe Eric Silva, but he's still so young and is only getting started. The world is his oyster
Hype trains not derailed imo. He gave the best hw in the world, and mabey of all time, huuge problems after 4,5 yrs of training and went 5rds.. how can it be derailed?

Hype trains not derailed imo. He gave the best hw in the world, and mabey of all time, huuge problems after 4,5 yrs of training and went 5rds.. how can it be derailed?
He's like 38, he's finished. Don't believe he's 31. Someone on reddit posted a pic of him in the early 90s and he was built like a teenager. Looked at least 16

A lot of where Ngannou goes from here will depend not only on his recovery ability but, even more fundamentally, old fashioned work ethic. Sokoudjou was rather widely known as being the kind fo guy who let whatever physical abilities he was born with carry him for his whole fight path. If Ngannou does that he could falter and fall even harder. Certainly how much he gains the ability to fight effectively for 5 rounds is gonna have a lot to do with that.

I do have to say, this time I made sure to take note of the issues involved in overpromoting a fighter, especially at this weighty class, based solely on power and intimidation power. This time I called it well before it happened.
Well done, bro

Actually this is the exact thing that happened with Travis Browne.

"Only 5 years training..."
"Super athletic"
"Martial arts phenom"

Beat a couple top guys in the first round.. got overconfident in himself

Went in with all the hype in the world to beat Werdum but instead got spanked and exposed over 5 rounds.

Actually this is the exact thing that happened with Travis Browne.

"Only 5 years training..."
"Super athletic"
"Martial arts phenom"

Beat a couple top guys in the first round.. got overconfident in himself

Went in with all the hype in the world to beat Werdum but instead got spanked and exposed over 5 rounds.

the difference is francis was sort of promoted as the second coming. so perhaps the lesson is dont promote huge stars unless their credentials are legit.

He's like 38, he's finished. Don't believe he's 31. Someone on reddit posted a pic of him in the early 90s and he was built like a teenager. Looked at least 16

was that pic really from the early 90s ?

Finished? What are u talking about? I really think he will fight for the title again, he can learn a lot from this fight and come back better. He got beat by the goat hw after training 4 yrs, big deal. If he showes techniqual improovement in hes next two fights and wins I have him as the favourite in the rematch.

Ngannou is the #1 HW outside the champion. I think he still beats everyone other than Werdum and Stipe, Cain i think it's pretty much done but who really knows, outside these 3, who people think will really beat Ngannou? Seriously asking.

Not even close:

Kang
Vera...

Soko- had some big ko-s but still had decent career

Ngannou just started as a mmartist and still went 25 in a fight where I really do think he underestimated that the smaller man would be able to take some shots and get him to ground and gas him out... Yes, Stipe 'derailed' the train.....for the time being.
This will turn out to be the best thing that couldve happened to Francis (outside him becoming an unbeatable force from start to finish which rarely happens in this sport or never [j
Jones but his career will always be tainted] )

Back