Thiago Alves on fighting Alexey Kunchenko at UFC Moscow: Hopefully USADA worked

Vulcan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For Alves, Kunchenko brings to the cage some certainties about his skill set. And apparently, he also brings some questions about his methods behind the scenes.

“When they lock that cage, he’s going to see a (expletive) pitbull hungry in front of him,” Alves told MMAjunkie in advance of the UFC Fight Pass-streamed card. “So let’s see how he deals with it.

“I have a lot of respect for him. Anybody that’s 18-0 is good, but the skills that he possesses, it’s pretty much similar to everybody in the weight class. It’s nothing I haven’t seen 1000 times over and over again.

“And, we’ve got USADA in play. Hopefully USADA did its job and did what it’s supposed to do.”

Alves, who himself once ran afoul of doping control measures, clearly doesn’t think much of M-1’s anti-doping program. He isn’t making any direct accusations, mind you. But the added insurance policy USADA provides against bad actors is something he’s thinking about.

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/09/ufc-moscow-thiago-alves-alexey-kunchenko-usada-russia

Lol Alves throwing PED accusations

alves.jpg

Well... It certainly worked on him.

I kid, I kid.

one of my first favorite fighters, but has not been a nice experience to follow him the last year.s.. Shrinking after USADA, no really explosiveness and no kicks... would not be suprised if he retires after next fight.

This guy rode that old Matt Hughes win to unprecedented heights. I don't even remember him winning more than 2 fights in a row.

Where is Spencer Fisher at these days...

I remember Alvie's popped for a banned diuretic years ago, 9 month suspension I think.

This guy rode that old Matt Hughes win to unprecedented heights. I don't even remember him winning more than 2 fights in a row.

Where is Spencer Fisher at these days...
He was fighter of the year in 2006 (or 7?) and took a 6 fight win streak into his title fight with GSP, If I remember correctly.

Thiago looked like something out of dr frankensteins dungeon when he fought gsp

Meh I tend to think any jacked brazilian is on something but that's only because they have no rules over there and they just so happen to be huge and then their decline in MMA happened after USADA. That being said has Thiago ever been caught?
Popped for diuretic vs fitch the first time

He was fighter of the year in 2006 (or 7?) and took a 6 fight win streak into his title fight with GSP, If I remember correctly.

Fair enough.

And that was a decade ago.

In his prime, many believed Alves was the biggest WW in the UFC, & he once missed weight by 7 lbs I think. 7 lbs for a 170 lb fight is huge. There are many people who suspected Alves was on PEDs during that time. It is a bit ironic he mentions he hopes USADA has done its job

Back