Thiago Alves Not Injured Pulled Out Due to Hurricane Irma

Why would he let his family stay there in the first place. Retarded logic.

Mike Perry said on MMA Hour that he drove to North Carolina and took a flight from there. He also said the UFC insisted on him leaving Florida early.

May I reference this post

Probably because he lives in a trailer and can pull his home to the UFC's venue's parking lot?

And maybe not all parts of Florida were affected the same?

You are a highly paid UFC fighter and this is what you do. His whole FUCKING GYM could have stayed and looked after his family. The danger is past and there is no more flooding. He had an entire week to evacuate and any moron in South Florida knew this was a possibility. If he was old or infeeble this would be excusable.

His whole gym, business associates and the like could have stayed to look after his family .. I need a guy like you on my team.
I'm being sarcastic, just so you know.

I too was hit by Irma so I understand his view.

But as a MMA fan I also understand why some people are upset. Not too much though, it's not like it's a title fight or something.

Do you, though? I'm struggling to figure out the mindset of someone who thinks this way. He could be in the biggest fight of all time, but if he figures his family is in danger and that he can better serve their interests (fighting is their livelihood, after all, and most people fight in large part for their families), then I'd feel hard-pressed to fault him. Maybe it's because I know a lot of fighters and why they actually choose to fight (not to mention the long and storied history of fighters giving everything in the ring only to be left with little for them or their families in their later years), but the mindset of the fan who thinks the fighters really owe them anything has always been bizarre to me.

OK...so in the pictures on Alves' Instagram he is at the airport with Jotko (no sign of BJ Penn at said airport)

Jotko is on this same card...is he still fighting?

Lombard is another ATT guy on the card...is he still fighting?

I was wondering who that guy was in the instagram with him. Thank you....now I know who he is. Krzysztof Jotko

For anyone too lazy to click a link, there's more to this:

On Monday, Ariel said on MMA Hour that Thiago was planning to "ride it out". "Ride out" a hurricane. He thought the hurricane wouldn't interfere with his plans. A hurricane. UFC contacted Platinum about leaving early. I would presume they did the same with Thiago.

Here's him posting a meme about not leaving Florida:

Heres him during the storm at the gym with his kid. A kid playing in a room full of windows, during a massive storm:

Boasting "we are not leaving".

Here's him spending "quality time with the family during Irma":

And finally, stuck at the airport, because who would have thought a hurricane would interfere with flight schedules?

This isn't a matter of life and death emergency. He's just a stubborn bonehead who didn't think a fucking hurricane, of all things, would interfere with flights and his plans when he had a fight the same week.

Not to take away from your post but two quickies
Gleison is the same age as Thiago why does he look like he's 50?
I thought Joanna was with Jackson - Wink .. guess not

he would benefit his family more with a big payday from fighting. More than enough money left over to hire laborers to deal with the damage to his house.

Do you know what state his home is in? Do you know the situation of his finances, extended family finances and housing situation? Money always helps I'm not denying that, but assuming he gets, 30k after fees and taxes how much is 30k going to cover?

Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense for them to have left before the storm, and then he coulda got paid?

Anyway, I thought the UFC was extremely irresponsible for matching up a guy who had just had brain surgery against the hardest hitter in the division.
Just had brain surgery? You mean had surgery a few years ago or for a 2nd time? If it's the latter, hang 'em up.

No Thiagoooo, why? I was so looking forward to this fight. :(

Do you know what state his home is in? Do you know the situation of his finances, extended family finances and housing situation? Money always helps I'm not denying that, but assuming he gets, 30k after fees and taxes how much is 30k going to cover?

Not the cost of a new wife or kid.

That is just retarded.
Alves is a phoney.
How about evacuating in time? It's not like it came out of nowhere...

Anyway, I thought the UFC was extremely irresponsible for matching up a guy who had just had brain surgery against the hardest hitter in the division.

When did he have brain surgery??

Also, if you decide to fight there's no cherry picking just because of a condition. Retire in that case.

5492113513_265f5707df_b.jpg

He was probably staying there to protect his property as well as his wife and child.

Sure, he could have left early.... and returned to his destroyed, looted, flooded, vandalised property.

I stayed in Fort Lauderdale in the 2004 hurricane for the very same reasons.

Can't blame the guy.

Maybe Jotko found another way there.

Possibly.

But they were at the airport together...both of them waiting for same flight.

Lombard is another ATT guy that is on the card.

I'm not judging Alves in any way...just seems odd he was posting so much bravado about the hurricane, then multiple pics at the airport, then we find out he pulls out due to hurricane. Doesn't add up....but doesn't change my daily life...just observation

laugh all you want but I live in central FL and its like walking dead times here, no electric for days, no gas....nothing open, walmart closed. I wouldnt have left either...ive lived in FL for 25 years and we've never got one this bad, it uprooted 80 foot oak trees in my back yard. its a disaster.

Forget the walking dead, this is like mad Max beyond thunderdome where gasoline is God. You have to experience this 1st hand before you realize how fragile this whole society we have. I used to scoff at preppers but not anymore.
Just take away gasoline and everything collapses. Monday morning you could have sold a gallon of gasoline for $100 .
it's scary.
90% sherdog never had deal with category 3-5 hurricane. But yet bitching because a man has higher morals than just fight. Bunch retards on here.

Back