They really need to take "octagon control" out of the scoring criteria

Agreed, I’m sick of hearing about octagon control considering fighters like Wonderboy prefer to move backwards and counterpunch.

So true, they don't understand that so many fighters like Thompson machida and Cruz actually want to be going backwards. Why shouldn't they get points for implementing their game

Because if two fighters inplement the same “Game” then there would be no fight. Ring generalship or control is about recognizing and rewarding the fighter who literally takes a direct approach to finishing a fight in a reasonably expedient manner.

Aggression and "octagon control" do not have shit to do with winning a fight. Effective striking and grappling do.

moving forward does not = winning a fight

MMA isn't fighting, it's a sport with lots of rules. Three people don't turn up to judge fights, someone gets beaten up or gives up. Ultimate Fighting Championship hasn't resembled fighting for about 20 years.

But moving backward avoiding exchanges win fights???

Get over it, Wonderboy is boring and he lost.
I'm over it lol, didn't lose a wink of sleep! Just posting on a message board Mr. Angst. I'm not even a big Wonderman fan, but I hate poor judging and yesterday it was on display.

How about just penalize guys who are stalling. Maybe just threaten to take away a % of their purse

<Deported1>
yeah octagon control is their version of yellow cards and a japanese guying yelling at you for action. it should be used for action not judging so i agree with OP in that it should be taken out of the criteria. maybe just threaten to cut guys who dont do anything...i mean maybe you can have a round for a feeling out period but damn man there are so many fights that go the distance with just feeling out and sparring, thats not something ppl pay for, thats something you can do in the gym. we want action! action!

Aggression and "octagon control" do not have shit to do with winning a fight. Effective striking and grappling do.

Til ate way more shots than he gave. 49-46 Wonderboy

Til wins under better scoring AKA Pride rules thanks to finishing strong and having the knockdown but WB got robbed under unified rules unless you just weigh "octagon control" a ridiculous amount for some reason.

Are more shots than he gave? I disagree with you on octagon control bc it’s the last resort of scoring and should be in there but in terms of sig strikes Till slightly beat Thompson. And Till dropped and damaged him with every strike. Thompson didn’t even shake Till. But I have it 48-47 Till 49-46 is some hometown bullshit.

If you have two counter-strikers then neither would have an incentive to move forward if Octagon control was irrelevant. Worst-case scenario is you'd have two guys just standing in the middle of the of the cage waving their arms around with neither being brave enough to make the first move. I see the benefits of it, it makes for funner fights but equally strikes and grappling performance should come first.

The problem is that leg kicks are given the same weight as clean punches to the face.

WB's straights were clean, effective, and purposeful.

Till leg kicks, tho landing, were being used by him as more of a measuring tool or a jab to get in and land a harder shot. When he got close enough, WB either slipped out of the way or caught him with a counter.

Now people want to take Tills kicks and act like they were these devastating head kicks.

People now want to say that number of strikes matter.

Sorry but 2 jabs does not outdo one hard left hook.

Because if two fighters inplement the same “Game” then there would be no fight. Ring generalship or control is about recognizing and rewarding the fighter who literally takes a direct approach to finishing a fight in a reasonably expedient manner.
Yes but for some like machida for example are more likely to finish the fight going backward. They award points for moving forward because they assume that's what all fighters want, so they're are implementing their game. They don't understand that many guys want to be moving backward and that's how they finish the fight

Or you could just move forward as well or finish the fight either one. I don't wanna see this kind of non engaging crap again. I support Octagon control 100%, guys like Machida and WB need to be pushed down all the way to the prelims.

Til ate way more shots than he gave. 49-46 Wonderboy

Til wins under better scoring AKA Pride rules thanks to finishing strong and having the knockdown but WB got robbed under unified rules unless you just weigh "octagon control" a ridiculous amount for some reason.

so if effective striking and grappling are equal, if aggression is equal, if damage is equal, what decides the round?

who is tallest? who has the longest hair? who has the nicest shorts?

so if effective striking and grappling are equal, if aggression is equal, if damage is equal, what decides the round?

who is tallest? who has the longest hair? who has the nicest shorts?
I've said ITT I'm fine with more 10/10 rounds and/or draws. Fights where neither guy clearly wins can be scored a draw and I am cool with it

no they shouldnt

that would promote point fighting

Guys like Wonderboy would engange even less knowing a few light clean shots will win them rounds.

I've said ITT I'm fine with more 10/10 rounds and/or draws. Fights where neither guy clearly wins can be scored a draw and I am cool with it

i totally agree, but despite judges apparently being encouraged within the new rules to give more 10-10's they dont.

i would have happily scored the fight 50-49 Till, with the first 4 rounds being even and him winning the fifth with the knockdown

Yes but for some like machida for example are more likely to finish the fight going backward. They award points for moving forward because they assume that's what all fighters want, so they're are implementing their game. They don't understand that many guys want to be moving backward and that's how they finish the fight

Respectfully disagree. I think judges and fans know which fighters are more comfortable backing up and countering, but the rules favor the aggressor since well..... again, if both fighters share the same qualities, they would literally dance around each other and NOT engage since neither is truly comfortable. Even Wonderboy’s quick attacks where mostly to score points and not truly, truly trying to hurt his opponent. That’s fine once in a while, but if you’re counting on your opponent to do the hard work for you by hoping they will walk into a counter, then no.... you’d better learn a better, more fruitful offense.

Yes they need to. Moving forward or being the guy who stands in the center doesn’t mean your controlling anything. Being evasive to set up shots and countering is a game plan. Being overly evasive and not using it to set up offense is running.

Respectfully disagree. I think judges and fans know which fighters are more comfortable backing up and countering, but the rules favor the aggressor since well..... again, if both fighters share the same qualities, they would literally dance around each other and NOT engage since neither is truly comfortable. Even Wonderboy’s quick attacks where mostly to score points and not truly, truly trying to hurt his opponent. That’s fine once in a while, but if you’re counting on your opponent to do the hard work for you by hoping they will walk into a counter, then no.... you’d better learn a better, more fruitful offense.
Actually I get what your saying about guys like Thompson and Cruz who tend to try to outpoint guys. But what about machida and silva, guys like that are looking to finish most of the time. I understand that the guy moving forward is atleast keeping things moving but I feel likenin certain instances it shouldn't carry as much weight as it does

Actually I get what your saying about guys like Thompson and Cruz who tend to try to outpoint guys. But what about machida and silva, guys like that are looking to finish most of the time. I understand that the guy moving forward is atleast keeping things moving but I feel likenin certain instances it shouldn't carry as much weight as it does

I’m basically talking about the difference between fighting vs hoping your opponent will make a really, really big mistake. Because... you can be waiting forever.

Back