They really need to take "octagon control" out of the scoring criteria

This is factually not true.

WB shouldn't be rewarded for all the running he does. It gets so old.
He isn't rewarded for running. He is rewarded for effective striking. Outside of some leg kicks Til landed nothing of note the first 4 rounds. Wonderboy had all of the notable strikes until Til dropped him.

He isn't rewarded for running. He is rewarded for effective striking. Outside of some leg kicks Til landed nothing of note the first 4 rounds. Wonderboy had all of the notable strikes until Til dropped him.

lol what notable strikes?

Go check fight metric because Till had more significant strikes in more rounds. The only really big strike of the fight was also landed by Till.

This is complete nonsense guys!

What you saw is what happens when neither guy wants to lead and only wants to counter.

I believe that the guy who is pressing the action should in fact get some points/benefits. If it’s called octagon control or aggression I’m fine with this

lol what notable strikes?

Go check fight metric because Till had more significant strikes in more rounds. The only really big strike of the fight was also landed by Till.
I don't give a shit about "sig strikes" the UFC talks about. At one point it said 41-37 when neither guy had landed anything significant in my book.

And notable as in clean strikes. In a glorified sparring session like we got that's all you can look for. Til didn't land any and Wonderboy did. Some body work and some counter punches, mostly straight punches.

This is complete nonsense guys!

What you saw is what happens when neither guy wants to lead and only wants to counter.

I believe that the guy who is pressing the action should in fact get some points/benefits. If it’s called octagon control or aggression I’m fine with this
Why not just reward Thompson for being more effective with striking?

Why not just reward Thompson for being more effective with striking?

Nothing wrong with points for effective striking guys. But always backing up should also be a negative factor.

Always being the counterpuncher is the easy way out. If nobody comes forward, you get some of the rounds we saw in that fight.

I don’t think the fight was a UD for till. I would have been fine with a split either way but I’m not going to cape up for a possibly bad decision that came from point fighting.

I don't give a shit about "sig strikes" the UFC talks about. At one point it said 41-37 when neither guy had landed anything significant in my book.

And notable as in clean strikes. In a glorified sparring session like we got that's all you can look for. Til didn't land any and Wonderboy did. Some body work and some counter punches, mostly straight punches.

I find it funny how nobody has mentioned this yet. At one point the UFCs striking stats had Wonderboy ahead 41-37. Yet, people are saying Till outstruck him based on Fightmetric.

If you watched the fight, WB clearly landed the better punches between the two until the KD. Till landed oblique kicks. He landed partially glancing blows until the back end of that fight.

If you want to give Till the win cuz the KD, thats fine. He was closest to a finish. But to say "oh look at #s" n say thats that is laughable.

The judging system should be changed to more like what Pride had. Its just better suited for MMA. They can't deduct peoples pay, but, they can make sure they get no bonuses/buried on FP if they fight how either guy did at various stages of this fight.

Aggression and "octagon control" do not have shit to do with winning a fight. Effective striking and grappling do.

moving forward does not = winning a fight

Til ate way more shots than he gave. 49-46 Wonderboy

Til wins under better scoring AKA Pride rules thanks to finishing strong and having the knockdown but WB got robbed under unified rules unless you just weigh "octagon control" a ridiculous amount for some reason.

Octagon control is only to be used if everything else is considered to be equal.

Octagon control is a fallthrough case.

If the striking and the grappling are deemed even, then you gotta fall down to some other criteria to determine a winner. If not, then you'd be bitching about way too many draws and immediate rematches due to those draws.

Octagon control is only to be used if everything else is considered to be equal.
I agree and in theory that may be the rule but we clearly see it implemented incorrectly all of the time including today. That's why I'd rather get rid of it. but ultimately that's a small factor in all of the reasons MMA scoring and judging slurps

Octagon control is a fallthrough case.

If the striking and the grappling are deemed even, then you gotta fall down to some other criteria to determine a winner. If not, then you'd be bitching about way too many draws and immediate rematches due to those draws.
Honestly I'd much rather see draws. And feel we should see more draws. Wouldn't have minded this fight being scored a draw, especially considering the lack of aggression from both fighters. Honestly there are a ton of fights without a decisive winner than I don't put a ton of stock into the judges decisions.

Aggression and "octagon control" do not have shit to do with winning a fight. Effective striking and grappling do.

Til wins under better scoring AKA Pride rules thanks to finishing strong and having the knockdown but WB got robbed under unified rules unless you just weigh "octagon control" a ridiculous amount for some reason.
This is true. Chris leben should be undefeated according to the current criteria

People have been saying this for years. Very few people disagree with it, but UFC top brass have always been lunkheads.

Instead of changing the rules that caused the problem, they got rid of a lot of the boring fighters, and refused to sign some of em.

WME seem even more clueless, so I wouldn't bet on things changing.

Octogon control is about forcing a fight.

WB is about hitting, running and at all cost not engaging.

This isn't point fighting. This is prize fighting/fighting for entertainment purposes.

If you can hold a grown man down and make it so that he can't stand up unless you decide that you want him to, you have bullied and embarrassed him. That is a different argument to being given points for standing in the centre rather than the outside for example
Wonderboy was literally juking from side to side trying to run away. Embarrassing

When applying the Octagon pressure as Till did, you tire your opponent out. So yes, it should matter in scoring.

1% of sherdog actually trains so I expect resistance against this statement unfortunately.

lol, retire from reffing and instantly start bitching on social media like the rest of us...

I can't blame him for being irritated tho when judges don't even know the rules. I like McCarthy's twitter posts where fan accuses him of being wrong and he says he thinks he should know a bit about it since he's the one who wrote the rule. :D

The UFC has to carry some of the original intent, which is to find the best fighter. Octagon control has to be a staple of the scoring. I may be in the minority these days, but I want to see fighters engage and try to kick the other guys ass. You have to give points to the guy chasing the other guy trying to make a fight. There are other things to watch if you want to see point fighting.

When applying the Octagon pressure as Till did, you tire your opponent out. So yes, it should matter in scoring.

1% of sherdog actually trains so I expect resistance against this statement unfortunately.
The benefit of tiring out your opponent is it should be easier to effectively out strike or out grapple them. Just walking forward and hypothetically wearing them down isn't winning a fight.

Back