They really need to take "octagon control" out of the scoring criteria

The only difference is we're bitching, and he's stating.

The sport could really use a universal body led by someone like Big John. As it is, it's different everywhere it goes.
Agreed with everything except he's still bitching though lol.

Aggression and "octagon control" do not have shit to do with winning a fight. Effective striking and grappling do.

moving forward does not = winning a fight

Til ate way more shots than he gave. 49-46 Wonderboy

Til wins under better scoring AKA Pride rules thanks to finishing strong and having the knockdown but WB got robbed under unified rules unless you just weigh "octagon control" a ridiculous amount for some reason.
Exactly. Like some other poster said, Wonderboy moving backwards IS him controlling the octagon since he wants you to move forward. And just because you are moving forward doesn't mean your freaking winning.

Your yakuza pro wrestling org is dead and gone pal, it's in the gutter where it belongs. Accept it and move on with your life. MMA is a different sport now. Hell, it's an actual sport now. Octagon control is legit and the other factors you mentioned is exactly what gave Till the victory today because the KD which came closest to a finish and did damage, is the only significant thing that happened.
lol your trolling about Pride aside they had a better system to determine fights. Using the boxing scoring system in MMA is a disaster, especially in 3 round fights

They're tiebreakers. They're very low on the list of tie breakers but we do need them.

If everything is the same, you need some way to distinguish the fighters. I'm ok with giving it to the guy that "tried harder". Should never have to come to it though.
It wasn't a tie breaker though Thompson was landing better shots early in the fight and should have been gaining rounds. the announcers even pointed out how little Til was doing speculating he was conserving energy

it’s the same argument for a wrestler who takes someone down and does nothing. Yeah they are in control but so what?

It's not exactly the same. The wrestler took the fight where he wanted to and controlled his opponent. Till didn't control WB, nor did he gain anything from walking forward.

But I do agree with you, that position alone or a takedown alone shouldn't win you a round.

I think the rule kind of needs to be in place for people who are happy to run the entire fight. We don't need a Kalib Starnes running the whole fight, but landing 2 more punches than the opponent and winning the fight.
How about just penalize guys who are stalling. Maybe just threaten to take away a % of their purse

<Deported1>

Yeah, octagon control is the biggest cop out.

If you haven’t seen a fight that ended in decision and the first thing you hear about the winner is “yep, octagon control, Joe” then there is a good chance he won a bullshit decision.

A clear winner doesn’t need to have his octagon control noted.

Octagon control is just a term used to obsfuscate the judging criteria in order to justify wrong decisions.

Ring control has been part of the fight game for decades and you want it scrapped with nothing to support your claim just because you disagree with one decision.

It wasn't a tie breaker though Thompson was landing better shots early in the fight and should have been gaining rounds. the announcers even pointed out how little Til was doing speculating he was conserving energy

That's different from OP.

To get rid of it would mean that you can't even use it. If Thompson was landing better shots (I haven't watched the fight and doubt I ever will), then the "octagon control" criteria doesn't get used.

Just have a bitch and moan about the judging/decision, not the criteria itself

I think the rule kind of needs to be in place for people who are happy to run the entire fight. We don't need a Kalib Starnes running the whole fight, but landing 2 more punches than the opponent and winning the fight.

If you run the whole fight and land the sole 2 punches of the fight, you'll probably win the fight.

Unless you did both punches in the same round. Then you lose 29-28 based on aggression and octagon control.

I was there for that fight! Thank God GSP won that fight... Would've been a riot if he hadn't... Like the game 7 I attended 2 days later where the Habs actually did win the game 7 of the series and the fans still rioted up and down Ste Catherines!

Aggression and "octagon control" do not have shit to do with winning a fight. Effective striking and grappling do.

Til wins under better scoring AKA Pride rules thanks to finishing strong and having the knockdown but WB got robbed under unified rules unless you just weigh "octagon control" a ridiculous amount for some reason.
I thought octagon controll only comes into play if the striking/grapling is even under the unified rules??? Effective striking/grapling is what judges is looking for .... so I think the rules is how u want them to be.

Jesus we are still talking about Pride? Let it go. It's not going to happen...ever. join us in 2018 or root for the Cubs. Dreaming is for kids.

So sherdogers dont know the rules of the sport they love? This thread is LOL.

Octagon Control is really dumb criteria anyway.

Till moved forward because Thompson moved backwards, and vice versa. Till wasn't physically moving Thompson around the cage.

I haven't even seen the fight and it smells like bullshit.
I think till was moving wb around. He was cutting him off really well. Tills arms out to each side was saying "you got no where to go". Wbs back against the cage. I wanted wonderboy to win. But i thought till won. He was the boss in there and landed the only big shot

I think till was moving wb around. He was cutting him off really well. Tills arms out to each side was saying "you got no where to go". Wbs back against the cage. I wanted wonderboy to win. But i thought till won. He was the boss in there and landed the only big shot

I'm gonna have to watch the fight.

My point was just that "octagon control" is a really silly metric. If a counter striker is moving back, it's to encourage his opponent to move forward, and eventually [hopefully] into a strike. Moving forward shouldn't score points.

And if Till was cutting off the cage well, he should have landed more and better strikes throughout the fight. If Wonderboy was able to move out of the trap, that should count for "octagon control".

They need to count octagon control because if you're a guy that constantly moves back and counters you'd be boring as fuck fighting someone like yourself

If Thompson fought himself, no strike would be thrown

That's different from OP.

To get rid of it would mean that you can't even use it. If Thompson was landing better shots (I haven't watched the fight and doubt I ever will), then the "octagon control" criteria doesn't get used.

Just have a bitch and moan about the judging/decision, not the criteria itself
I have sort of been arguing two things, but its both. I have a problem with the decision and the criteria. If anything it should be SPECIFIED that octagon control is strictly a secondary factor and not as important as effective striking and grappling. Til had less effective striking in 3, arguably 4, of the rounds, yet was rewarded for moving forward.

Jesus we are still talking about Pride? Let it go. It's not going to happen...ever. join us in 2018 or root for the Cubs. Dreaming is for kids.
Just their scoring system which makes more sense to me and always will. Sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities.

Back