They can see my jab coming

Couch Ninja

The Duster King
@Black
Reaction score
Sparred a dude much better than me tonight and he whooped my ass. By the end, I knew he was going to see my shit coming and counter, and it just kept happening. He explained afterward that he could, indeed, see it coming; that I was "pushing" my jab out instead of "snapping" it. I feel like my step with my front foot was giving it away too. But I thought the step is where the power came from?
Any help with a proper jab would be much appreciated. Be harsh, you won't hurt my feelings!

vid...can't help without actually seeing it.

Don't stand there and try to throw it. Move around to hide your steps. Throw feints to set up your counters and jab.

vid...can't help without actually seeing it.

Don't stand there and try to throw it. Move around to hide your steps. Throw feints to set up your counters and jab.
Thanx. I think I was forgetting to feint. When I fight dudes in my head I do, but tonight I think I got slightly overwhelmed and my brain short-circuited. My lateral movement might suck too sitting here thinking of it. Thanx for the input man

do you step every time you jab? i was taught two ways of throwing a jab (forward)...one way is to step in, the other is to snap it out in a straight line, point a to b, using my hip to help generate the power.

does your shoulder shift back slightly thereby telegraphing it before you throw the jab? or worse, does your elbow flare out?

Last edited:
There's no way he can be lying. He CAN see it.
Btw- that's a large chunk of what makes boxing so effective and useful in a fight.

Time to start looking in a mirror.

Also time for some private lessons if you don't want to stay on that lower half of the class.

You're probably moving around normally in sparring, but right before you strike/jab, you stop dead in your tracks. Even if its a fraction of a second thats a lifetime to good strikers.

Learn to mask it with feints, basically "play" more.

You step to get more power, but rather than stepping with your front, look to push off with your back foot.

You're probably moving around normally in sparring, but right before you strike/jab, you stop dead in your tracks. Even if its a fraction of a second thats a lifetime to good strikers.

Learn to mask it with feints, basically "play" more.

You step to get more power, but rather than stepping with your front, look to push off with your back foot.
Dude, you nailed it. I was stopping before I threw. Lots of good advice, thank you

do you step every time you jab? i was taught two ways of throwing a jab (forward)...one way is to step in, the other is to snap it out in a straight line, point a to b, using my hip to help generate the power.

does your shoulder shift back slightly thereby telegraphing it before you throw the jab? or worse, does your elbow flare out?
Yeah, thinking about it, I think I have a lot of tells. Thank you for the insight

one mistake amateurs make in my opinion is that they pull back when they punch making it telegraphic as they rely more on their arms to jab/cross as opposed to their foot and hips.

My favorite metaphor I like to to use is to think of your jab as though your fist is being shot out of a cannon. I.e., it's an initial explosion and then loose arm muscles until impact, not flexed muscles the whole way. For me, especially if I'm exhausted, that mental image helps keep the punches crisp. Picture your fist moving before you arm does, which is obviously impossible, but it also helps get the idea to your body.

I sure it was a big combo of things he was reading in you, but that can address his specific concern that you were pushing the jab.

My favorite metaphor I like to to use is to think of your jab as though your fist is being shot out of a cannon. I.e., it's an initial explosion and then loose arm muscles until impact, not flexed muscles the whole way. For me, especially if I'm exhausted, that mental image helps keep the punches crisp. Picture your fist moving before you arm does, which is obviously impossible, but it also helps get the idea to your body.

I sure it was a big combo of things he was reading in you, but that can address his specific concern that you were pushing the jab.
Thanks man. Great advice. i think I had it exactly backwards in my mind. Once dude could see my jab coming, it was near impossible for me to set anything else up. I think thinking about it the way you said will help, thank you. There's so much to learn! I'm certainly better than I displayed last night tho. Thx again

Sparred a dude much better than me tonight and he whooped my ass. By the end, I knew he was going to see my shit coming and counter, and it just kept happening. He explained afterward that he could, indeed, see it coming; that I was "pushing" my jab out instead of "snapping" it. I feel like my step with my front foot was giving it away too. But I thought the step is where the power came from?
Any help with a proper jab would be much appreciated. Be harsh, you won't hurt my feelings!

You don't have to step. Depends on how you're throwing the jab, what you're trying to do with it. Not all jabs are power jabs. Also, if your foot is moving way before your hand, that's a huge giveaway.

So fake it and throw and overhand right or hook instead. Keep him. Guess ing. Throw combinations

You don't have to step. Depends on how you're throwing the jab, what you're trying to do with it. Not all jabs are power jabs. Also, if your foot is moving way before your hand, that's a huge giveaway.
I think my foot was a huge giveaway. I wasn't rearing back or anything so I think that was a big part of it. I'll try to take smaller steps and time it out better.. Without putting at least a little step into it, though, I don't know why anyone would bother to react cuz it sure as shit ain't gonna hurt. Or is it a common reflex for fighters to react to a punch even if it looks (is) measly? My straight right is decent but I can't seem to get in range to land it

Also, for anyone reading this, let it be known I'm outweighed by most everyone where I train by dozens of pounds. So any advice for keeping your cool when you're getting mauled by dudes 40 and 50 pounds above your weight-class would also be appreciated.
I went for the clinch ONCE last night and got thrown to the ground as effortlessly as you'd toss a small sack of potatoes. It was sad. But I got back up

quick question, is this muay thai/kickboxing or straight-up boxing?

MMA, but a lot of times dudes are wearing boxing gloves so we just kickbox

if it's mma, you can always alternate throwing the jab by changing levels for a takedown or fake the jab and follow up with a kick. you have more options in mma if you feel you are getting shut down. it also keeps your opponent guessing as to whether or not you are really throwing a jab or not.

however, try to work on just throwing out the jab without stepping. maybe shadow box very slowly in front of a mirror or record yourself to check your form and mechanics. slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

I think my foot was a huge giveaway. I wasn't rearing back or anything so I think that was a big part of it. I'll try to take smaller steps and time it out better.. Without putting at least a little step into it, though, I don't know why anyone would bother to react cuz it sure as shit ain't gonna hurt. Or is it a common reflex for fighters to react to a punch even if it looks (is) measly? My straight right is decent but I can't seem to get in range to land it
This was brought up by another poster last week. I'll say the same I said then, you use your feet to pursue. Rarely does things stay stationary. you throw, he's gonna back step by a bit or move his head out of the way. So you'll have to use a pursuit combination.

And for reflexes, yes it is common to retaliate and react on strikes. Its the basics you have put into you when striking. Retaliate ASAP never letting more than 3 strikes get off on you.

Also, for anyone reading this, let it be known I'm outweighed by most everyone where I train by dozens of pounds. So any advice for keeping your cool when you're getting mauled by dudes 40 and 50 pounds above your weight-class would also be appreciated.
I went for the clinch ONCE last night and got thrown to the ground as effortlessly as you'd toss a small sack of potatoes. It was sad. But I got back up
You'll have to work on your technique in the clinch. When you do it well, you won't be tossed around effortlessly. Clinching is grappling, you're putting the opponent in a position where they're weak and you're strong.

If this is MT clinching, the game is getting them nervous and off balanced, when they're off balanced, you strike them making things much shitter for them. Its still grappling, just a different form, its not strange special foreign voodoo.

For dealing with heavier bigger dudes, you'll have to use angles. Look at yourselves like cars. He's a F150, you're a Civic or Corolla, going head to head will not end well in your favor. Take angles so when you strike you T-bone or derail them.

Back