These Woodley vs GSP title-reign comparisons are absurd

Bullshit . look how Rory embarrassed Tyron and pieced him up against the cage. George’s could do that all night. He’s as good a striker as Rory imo.
Lol

GSP doesn’t piece people up and he’s a completely different fighter

GSP shut peoples offense down with a solid jab and great wrestling but fought cautious after the serra KO and never pressed for a finish even when he was destroying guys.

Maybe you are oversimplifying, but this makes it sound like you only remember GSP's last couple of fights.

After the Serra KO:

Hughes - submitted by arm bar to take interim title
Serra - TKO to unify
Fitch - damn sure looked like he was trying to finish
BJ Penn - GSP looked incredibly frustrated that he couldn't finish BJ (and punched the cage) before Penn's corner threw in the towel
Alves - tore his groin so coasted the last couple of rounds
Koscheck 2 - GSP tried too hard to finish by one punch knock out to the point he became predictable and Kos was able to avoid GSP's overhand right even with one eye
Hardy - opposite problem as with Kos, tried too hard to pursue the submission without enough ground and pound to distract Hardy
Shields - lost vision in one eye so hung in there to survive
Condit - not sure if GSP was going for the finish but super exciting fight regardless
Diaz - OK this one was kind of boring. GSP looked gassed even
Hendricks - maybe he was being cautious in this one too, but still a very exciting fight

Where are all these Woodley/GSP title reign comparisons that have triggered TS?
i aint gonna lie, ive been seeing them too...and they are a bit irritating....

you cant compare 9 title defeses to three or four.....

it is too early to be comapring woodley to hughes.....let alone gsp.....

but opponents dont initiate the action on woodley. Lawler back pedaled all night. WB the best striker at WW refused to engage and almost got stopped whenever he tried. Maia the best BJJ guy in the sport basically gave up half way thru. People dont press Woodley. Dunno why they just dont.

GSP shut peoples offense down with a solid jab and great wrestling but fought cautious after the serra KO and never pressed for a finish even when he was destroying guys. Woodley has huge power and tries to bait people in, and they usually dont take the bait. when they do he either KO's them or comes damn close. Just two diff varieties of boring.

People do engage Woodley. He's the one who disengages, he's constantly moving backwards. Also a weird comment Lawler, he went backwards "all night" in a two minute fight?

Stats support my theory, GSP has a much higher work rate than Woodley does and puts the pressure on his opponents. Conversely, Woodley has a history of not working and disengaging with opponents who come at him.

Look at his fights with Rory, Shields, Wonderboy 2, Maia, etc. You see Woodley is the one going backwards, fighting defensively and looking only to counter. Just because his opponents don't take his obvious bait doesn't mean they are scared to engage.

At the end of the day, GSP works harder to win his fights than Woodley does.

At least GSP did some things in his fights. Woodley just stares at his opponents and moves backwards while somehow winning rounds

Must hurt OP deep to know that Woodley would put GSP in a coma.

People do engage Woodley. He's the one who disengages, he's constantly moving backwards. Also a weird comment Lawler, he went backwards "all night" in a two minute fight?

Stats support my theory, GSP has a much higher work rate than Woodley does and puts the pressure on his opponents. Conversely, Woodley has a history of not working and disengaging with opponents who come at him.

Look at his fights with Rory, Shields, Wonderboy 2, Maia, etc. You see Woodley is the one going backwards, fighting defensively and looking only to counter. Just because his opponents don't take his obvious bait doesn't mean they are scared to engage.

At the end of the day, GSP works harder to win his fights than Woodley does.

Didnt say anything to the effect of GSP not engaging or doing less than Woodley, Tyron does as little as possible and still wins lol. Nothing weird about my comment either. lawler a perpetual blood and guts just bleed warrior who constantly moves forward backed up against woodley. I dont think he took a single step forward which is completely unlike him. I didnt say Tyron doesnt fight defensively obviously he does lol at 35 years old lay back and counter is his only real path to success. GSP pushes forward and still manages to be boring. Woodley lays back and still manages to be boring until he lands something. I never disputed GSP's work rate just stated that they're both boring af. GSP can outclass a guy all night and still never push for a finish, he's like watching Rigondeaux box.

At any rate if you can walk around the ring for 5 rounds and posture with your back to the fence and people REFUSE to go near you I'd pretty safely say they're "scared" to engage at least as any pro fighter could be scared, obviously they aint pussies dont get me wrong. At very least in recent fights the threat of the fight finishing counter from Woodley is enough of a deterrent that Lawler, WBx2, and Maia all refused to engage him and GSP didnt want shit to do with him. I don't need stats to see a pattern there. GSP dictated the pace to neutralize opponents offense, Woodley lays back and aims a counter all night to neutralize opponents offense.

I dont see anything strange about my comments. GSP was concerned about overcommitting and getting caught with something he shouldnt (post Serra) and Woodleys opponents are clearly concerned about overcommitting and getting caught with something they shouldn't by him. It wasn't a kncok on either guy I like both. GSP and Woodley are just both very good very boring fighters.

Last edited:
Maybe you are oversimplifying, but this makes it sound like you only remember GSP's last couple of fights.

After the Serra KO:

Hughes - submitted by arm bar to take interim title
Serra - TKO to unify
Fitch - damn sure looked like he was trying to finish
BJ Penn - GSP looked incredibly frustrated that he couldn't finish BJ (and punched the cage) before Penn's corner threw in the towel
Alves - tore his groin so coasted the last couple of rounds
Koscheck 2 - GSP tried too hard to finish by one punch knock out to the point he became predictable and Kos was able to avoid GSP's overhand right even with one eye
Hardy - opposite problem as with Kos, tried too hard to pursue the submission without enough ground and pound to distract Hardy
Shields - lost vision in one eye so hung in there to survive
Condit - not sure if GSP was going for the finish but super exciting fight regardless
Diaz - OK this one was kind of boring. GSP looked gassed even
Hendricks - maybe he was being cautious in this one too, but still a very exciting fight

Im a huge GSP fan but all you said here is GSP had a ton of guys up shits creek and wasnt able to drown em. All sound and solid reasoning but he still didnt get the finishes lol. It's kinda like back when Manny Pacquiao was relevant, he was known for huge KO's ect but after he reached a certain peak of stardom he stopped looking for finishes and was content to coast on wide points decisions even when he had people annihilated.

Im a huge GSP fan but all you said here is GSP had a ton of guys up shits creek and wasnt able to drown em. All sound and solid reasoning but he still didnt get the finishes lol. It's kinda like back when Manny Pacquiao was relevant, he was known for huge KO's ect but after he reached a certain peak of stardom he stopped looking for finishes and was content to coast on wide points decisions even when he had people annihilated.

There is no disputing that the finishes didn't come. But you said "never pressed for a finish". I'm saying that he didn't always get them, but for sure he was trying for a long time after Serra 1. I don't think he was mostly coasting. After all, stopping your opponent and not having to continue fighting is even safer right?

And the contrast to Woodley makes it even more evident. I don't know if you've ever watched TWood's Strikeforce fights, but if GSP is considered a LnPer by many posters, Woodley should have been considered a bore n' snorer. And even now that he has developed more striking, he spends most of his time waiting for the counter or a chance to blitz, making even classic Machida look like a caffeinated meth head. If it weren't for that KO potential, there would be nothing remotely appealing about his fights.

Edit: oh man, and all the shots of his mom screaming like she's witnessing the Rapture made it even crazier haha

For so many reasons.

GSP beat EVERYONE he ever fought. Go ahead and look it up you McTapper newbs.

Woodley got controlled by Sheilds whereas GSP was toying with Jake before he was blinded.

Compare Woodley vs Condit with GSP vs Condit before the freak injury and Condit's 10 seconds.

GSP has outwrestled better wrestlers than Woodley.

GSP was the best striker in his division.

GSP is the best mma wrestler of all time.

GSP is the GOAT.

Also, a number of shertards think that Maia would beat GSP. That's fucking insane. GSP would absolutely ragdoll Maia. I love Maia, btw. Easily my favorite WW.

Suck it you haters!!!

Who fought the better competition and "who had the better title reign" aren't exactly the same question.

There is no disputing that the finishes didn't come. But you said "never pressed for a finish". I'm saying that he didn't always get them, but for sure he was trying for a long time after Serra 1. I don't think he was mostly coasting. After all, stopping your opponent and not having to continue fighting is even safer right?

And the contrast to Woodley makes it even more evident. I don't know if you've ever watched TWood's Strikeforce fights, but if GSP is considered a LnPer by many posters, Woodley should have been considered a bore n' snorer. And even now that he has developed more striking, he spends most of his time waiting for the counter or a chance to blitz, making even classic Machida look like a caffeinated meth head. If it weren't for that KO potential, there would be nothing remotely appealing about his fights.

Edit: oh man, and all the shots of his mom screaming like she's witnessing the Rapture made it even crazier haha

yeah like I said they're both pretty boring guys and its weird to see woodley with the huge 1pko power so passive and GSP with much much less power is far more active. But in the end both go to decisions. I like both of em, hell I love Mayweather. It's boring but its technical mastery.

But yeah I'll give you that, He prolly did press for the finish they just didnt materialize. That just kinda left me with the feeling of "he coulda/shoulda done more". I think he's got a tall order against bisping after the long layoff who knows what kinda GSP we'll get but Im hoping he pulls it off.

also LLMFAO "making even classic Machida look like a caffeinated meth head"

Back