These Cavs would win the finals against 90% of past NBA finals teams

The differences in era argument is valid IMO. That said, I can't see how a team who's signature is auto-firing trays would be dynasty-level 20 years ago, let alone an undersized pure shooter like Steph being considered MVP-level.
17 years ago the MVP was Iverson, three inches shorter than Steph and much thinner.

But yeah, I see where you are coming from.

I think an easier way to look at it is that the Warriors set the regular season record last year, then added Durant and started the Playoffs 14-0. They are objectively one of the all time great teams.

17 years ago the MVP was Iverson, three inches shorter than Steph and much thinner.

But yeah, I see where you are coming from.

I think an easier way to look at it is that the Warriors set the regular season record last year, then added Durant and started the Playoffs 14-0. They are objectively one of the all time great teams.

Not disagreeing that W's are great. Just pointing out that the current league model inflates their greatness.

Also, AI to Steph is a false equivalency IMO. AI was an aggressor and embraced the physicality; Stephs game inherently avoids it. Apples and oranges.

Well, somebody also thought D Rose, KD, or SC were ahead of LBJ.

Players that beat out jordan during his "prime":Magic, barkley, olajuwon, Robinson, malone,
{<huh}

Voter fatigue is a real thing. And MVP is a reg season award, you can be the best player in the world yet still have an inferior reg season performance than a lesser player for various reasons

Anyways, it's not about what "somebody" thought when MVP votes were cast. YOU straight up said Rose is ahead of Jordan, which is insane but at least it gives us a clear view into your preposterous thinking to confirm that we shouldn't take you seriously on any level

Not disagreeing that W's are great. Just pointing out that the current league model inflates their greatness.

Also, AI to Steph is a false equivalency IMO. AI was an aggressor and embraced the physicality; Stephs game inherently avoids it. Apples and oranges.

You aren't wrong of course abut Iverson being aggressive. My point was only that Curry's size isn't the issue. One thing the Warrior's domination of the Cavs has shown me is that they really did need to add Durant to have a shot against the Cavs. Without Durant they'd lose. The Cavs have always been able to shut down Curry for several games in a series. He scored 14 last night.

Say more about what you think the current league model is and how it inflates the Warrior's greatness. I'm interested in your view.

You aren't wrong of course abut Iverson being aggressive. My point was only that Curry's size isn't the issue. One thing the Warrior's domination of the Cavs has shown me is that they really did need to add Durant to have a shot against the Cavs. Without Durant they'd lose. The Cavs have always been able to shut down Curry for several games in a series. He scored 14 last night.

Say more about what you think the current league model is and how it inflates the Warrior's greatness. I'm interested in your view.
Short version: the whistle. When you get to shoot uncontested tray's all game, load your team up with shooters, and run up the scoreboard to absurdly high numbers, it largely negates the necessity to be a defense/rebounding juggernaut, per the traditional championship team. There's other factors, but you get the point. Just my .02.

2014 Spurs
2013 Heat
2012 Heat
2009 Lakers
2008 Celtics

I would favor those five champion teams over this Cavs team that's not including many others in early 2000's as well.

Current Cavs team would probably have to go back to the early 80's or late 70's to find a championship team they could beat in a seven game series.

Also, David Robinson > Tim Duncan

Short version: the whistle. When you get to shoot uncontested tray's all game, load your team up with shooters, and run up the scoreboard to absurdly high numbers, it largely negates the necessity to be a defense/rebounding juggernaut, per the traditional championship team. There's other factors, but you get the point. Just my .02.

Well in previous(worse) eras, teams only had to guard 1/5 players from outside of 15'. Just my .02

You mean Durant's Warriors...
Damn straight.

Current Cavs team would probably have to go back to the early 80's or late 70's to find a championship team they could beat in a seven game series.
? they beat last years warios and got better, but not as better as durants warios. They beat every finals team in the last 10 years, and sweep every team before Shaq's Lakers.

Also, David Robinson > Tim Duncan
LOL. Duncan, and it's not even close.

? they beat last years warios and got better, but not as better as durants warios. They beat every finals team in the last 10 years, and sweep every team before Shaq's Lakers.

I doubt they would even beat the early 2000 Sacramento Kings teams.

I doubt they would even beat the early 2000 Sacramento Kings teams.
Because a team that can't shoot has any chance against a modern team.<YeahOKJen>

Mike Bibby was their only shooter(.42 from 3, and even Chris Webber barely shot .500 from inside).

In the 2002 playoffs(probably their best), they had 2 players over .500 eFG% and 10 mpg. Webber at .502 and Scott Pollard at .525 on 12 mpg
Heck, compare that to the 1995-96 Bulls(their best), who had ONE player over .500 and 10 Minutes. Steve Kerr at 19.8 mpg and .546

These Cavs only had 2 players UNDER .500. Richard Jefferson and James Jones..
(That's right, 11 of 13 of these Cavaliers did a better job of putting the ball in the bucket than Jordan in 95-96)
Jordan had an eFg% of .490 in 95-96, while LeBron was .622 this year. How this is still a discussion boggles the mind. Some people just need to hold on to the Bill Russell argument, I guess.

Easy to have high shooting percentages when nobody is allowed to play defense or a foul is called.

Prime Webber would have dominated down low vs Cavs or Warriors.

Easy to have high shooting percentages when nobody is allowed to play defense or a foul is called.

Prime Webber would have dominated down low vs Cavs or Warriors.

It'd be easier to have a high shooting% against teams that are only used to guarding 1(or maybe 2) player from outside 15'. These cavs have 4 starters that can be deadly from 3. Teams from earlier eras would be spread out and assassinated from long range. Modern teams would be more effective from outside than against modern teams, and would wear out old-style teams. Even if ancient teams become 10% more effective inside than against teams from their era, they'd lose to a team that was only as effective as it is against the more athletic teams of this era.

The differences in era argument is valid IMO. That said, I can't see how a team who's signature is auto-firing trays would be dynasty-level 20 years ago, let alone an undersized pure shooter like Steph being considered MVP-level.
biden-jim.gif

Steph is 6'3. The difference between Steph and guys like AI is the same difference between Steph and Mamba, who is infinitely better. "But he's a pure shooter"... so we're rewarding people for having a limited skillset now? Give me a break.

Steph on any other team has a huge stats drop off. AI, Kobe, Lebern, Duncan and, uh, KD, translate to any team, any system.

It'd be easier to have a high shooting% against teams that are only used to guarding 1(or maybe 2) player from outside 15'. These cavs have 4 starters that can be deadly from 3. Teams from earlier eras would be spread out and assassinated from long range. Modern teams would be more effective from outside than against modern teams, and would wear out old-style teams. Even if ancient teams become 10% more effective inside than against teams from their era, they'd lose to a team that was only as effective as it is against the more athletic teams of this era.
What teams? Name them. Every Laker team to win a 'ship the past 25 years has won on playing a spread D. The Celtics beat them doing the same thing.

Those pistons teams would have just let the cavs shoot, but you're fucking joking yourself if you think Lebron is getting more than 12 points from inside.

So we can whittle down about 9 teams from the past 25 years in those sentences alone. Let's add every Spurs team that won and the Spurs team that lost the final to Ray Allen. 15 teams from the past 25 years at least. Let's add Jordan's bulls. We'll be liberal and say that 4 of them beat the cavs, just for shits and grins. That's what? 19 of the past 25 years?

Give me a break

What teams? Name them. Every Laker team to win a 'ship the past 25 years has won on playing a spread D. The Celtics beat them doing the same thing.

Those pistons teams would have just let the cavs shoot, but you're fucking joking yourself if you think Lebron is getting more than 12 points from inside.

So we can whittle down about 9 teams from the past 25 years in those sentences alone. Let's add every Spurs team that won and the Spurs team that lost the final to Ray Allen. 15 teams from the past 25 years at least. Let's add Jordan's bulls. We'll be liberal and say that 4 of them beat the cavs, just for shits and grins. That's what? 19 of the past 25 years?

Give me a break
For simplicity: these cavs or warirors easily beat any NBA finals team from before 2007.

Spread D had a different meaning when only one player could shoot from outside 15', let alone 23'.

Those pistons teams would wouldn't be able to stop the cavs from shooting open threes if they applied the jordan rules to LeBron. Nice thing about LeBron: he's effective from outside the paint in ways Jordan could only dream of.

>implying they wouldn't get crushed by the 2000-2002 lakers

Kobe/Shaq top team with finals mode Robert horry and Phil GOAT Jackson coaching them

Lol, what regression method you used to derive this statement?

Back