There's NO tape on how to beat the current incarnation of McGregor

AllAlong87

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Ok, hyperbolic thread title aside, it's still mostly true (especially if you're fighting at 155 or 145).

Think about it: Conor has improved by a LOT recently. He dominated Aldo and Alvarez so badly that you can't even look at those fight tapes for strategy if you're going up against him. In both Diaz fights, Conor was easily getting the better of Diaz until he gassed. And if you're an opponent fighting McGregor at 155 or 145, you can't count on that to happen.

The last guy to expose a ch*nk in McGregor's armor was Mendes, and Conor's takedown defense has improved greatly since then. I can see people rejecting this opinion because Diaz had success against Conor at 170, but to me, it's VERY clear that the success Diaz had was because of Conor gassing.

Last edited:
raw

He can still get wrestle-f*cked and beat into Bolivian

He has improved a lot. Everybody says that Eddie failed to use his wrestling, but there was a whole minute in the second when Eddie had Conor pinned against the cage and failed to take him down. It's not that Eddie didn't try, it's that he couldn't.

Conor is elite at both 145 and 155, but he is much bigger and stronger at 155.

Their also aren't any pictures of Mohammad

Khabib wrestle fucks him. He feints a lot and will get mcgregor swinging and if he connects he isn't putting anyone's lights out. Khabib doesn't panic wrestle, he just always grapples. I don't see Conor moving forward much in this fight due to the sheer shitting of his pants because Conor is smart. He knows if it hits the mat it's over. So I assume Conor will be hesitant to throw that hard left. Conor is an amazing fighter, but this match up is as bad as it gets. So I doubt the fight ever happens.

Khabib wrestle fucks him. He feints a lot and will get mcgregor swinging and if he connects he isn't putting anyone's lights out. Khabib doesn't panic wrestle, he just always grapples. I don't see Conor moving forward much in this fight due to the sheer shitting of his pants because Conor is smart. He knows if it hits the mat it's over. So I assume Conor will be hesitant to throw that hard left. Conor is an amazing fighter, but this match up is as bad as it gets. So I doubt the fight ever happens.

This almost makes sense except that Johnson had Khabib rocked, Conor most certainly could do worse. Do I think he would? No. But it's asinine to think it couldn't happen.

ummm Nate beat him the first time and he barely squeezed off a win against Nate the second time so I must be missing something ?

Anyone can be beaten on any given night. Conor is now saying that you have to have superior physical attributes to beat him such as size and reach but how many fighters have we seen with an aura of invincibility only to have that image shattered after one fight? Those fighters didn't have tape on how to beat them either and unlike Conor some of them were truly undefeated until they lost. Conor is looking good right now but don't be surprised if he loses again and does so at Featherweight or Lightweight.

-Wrestlefucked
-fighter with good stand up, cardio and chin
-top grappler
-fighter of equal or greater size
-fighter that's not hand picked by mcgregor/UFC
-any title defence he might make (unlikely)

He has improved a lot. Everybody says that Eddie failed to use his wrestling, but there was a whole minute in the second when Eddie had Conor pinned against the cage and failed to take him down. It's not that Eddie didn't try, it's that he couldn't.

just because Conor denied Eddie against the cage, it does not follow that he has "improved a lot" though.

some guys use the cage to get their takedowns, while others possess the skill and explosiveness to score takedowns that do not rely on pressing their opponent against the cage or even gaining the clinch. GSP was a prime example.

rewatch Conor-Mendes and you will see that Mendes did not use the clinch or the cage when he took Conor down.

watching Conor deny Eddie against the cage does not necessarily tell us anything about how he would fare against other takedown methods, IMHO.

Eddie struggled to get pettis to the floor while RDA took him down at will.

Two different fights, i know, but I think Eddies wrestling might be a tad overrated.

-Wrestlefucked
-fighter with good stand up, cardio and chin
-top grappler
-fighter of equal or greater size
-fighter that's not hand picked by mcgregor/UFC
-any title defence he might make (unlikely)
If you think his opponents were handpicked, that means you believe the UFC decided who would be champion when it was time for Conor to fight for the belts. He came in saying he wanted the belts..what control did he have over who was champion at the time. Plus he chose to fight Nate last minute when RDA and Aldo didn't show..and chose a Nate that had already beat him. I am going to assume you were kidding.

Back