There is no standing 8 count in Pro boxing...

Good year I was 10.
Recess football champs that year.

I was 8 and kissed a girl for the first time, on the lips too, b/c I was g'd up already and I wasn't going for any cheek shit. Actually I tried to once like a week earlier but pussed out and ran away from her in vocab class or whatever it was, then I manned up the next week b/c my older bro was making fun of me for being a bitch the first time.

Anyway, yeah standing 8 counts are for the ammies, nobody uses that shit in the pros anymore. More for kids who get buzzed with a shot and the ref deems them hurt enough to give them an 8 count even though they didn't go down. I just saw an ammy fight like a month ago posted somewhere. There was one little midge kid who was getting lit up and got like two or three of those, poor little guy was getting busted by a way bigger southpaw who was way better than him. Actually impressed me with how good his left hand was at such a young age. Lil guy survived though, showed a lot of heart for a kid.

Also Kov still scares the shit out of me but the way he wilted last night made him much less scary. Ward wanted it more, plain and simple. Ward's gameplan was spectacular, he's a very smart guy, he's in great shape, and has one of the most well rounded games in the sport. That is also scary. Who's the real bully now?

Seriously who has several accounts and knock it off.

I thought kov was done before the last blow but I do feel like the last blow was low.

Seems like kov quit and mentally checked out and wanted a way out... I don't know maybe I'm wrong but I do feel like the finishing blow was low.

I'm glad they stopped the fight regardless of "controversy". A real fight fan saw Kov was in desperate trouble and needed the ref to save his health

Those shots are clearly on the belt, which Weeks said was legal at the outset.

This shit is getting clownish. Kovalev had his belt above the navel. Where the fuck do you think that male genitalia is located?

clearly on the belt? you can 100 percent see the left that preceeded the questionable right was on the belt?

kov already went 12 rounds with ward and was never near being stopped. he also only threw 400 in the rematch as opposed to 475 in the first fight so theory of kov gassing in the 8th round is hard to believe.

perhaps the low blows had nothing to do with sergey being tired and getting kod but since ward has zero stoppages in his entire career against ranked opponents not moving up or down in weight i find it hard to believe that wards low blows had no effect on the fights outcome

but thats just me, a person who likes to use facts as opposed to conjecture.

I think Kovalev should have gotten a count as the ropes were holding him up. Regardless, it was clear which way the wind was blowing in that fight. Me betting on any fighter seems to be the kiss of death lately.

I'm glad they stopped the fight regardless of "controversy". A real fight fan saw Kov was in desperate trouble and needed the ref to save his health

If you ever got punched in the genitals by someone trained to throw a punch, you would know even one of those shots would have put him in desperate trouble.....

Kovalev was completely done. It was obvious to anyone. The right hand was it. He was already fading and had no idea what to do. He tried to wrap up but couldn't even do that.

As to the people protesting the stoppage, I think I can easily speak on this one. I'll reference Danny/Pirog since I've spoke on it a lot and obviously had personal interest. A lot of people noted that Danny was alert (he was trying to get up at 6 and was completely fine but Nady had his hand on his chest, pushed him back down and waved off the fight). Most would bitch but I never have nor has anyone else associated with him. The way Danny went down (we thought he was out too) looked bad. There's no way Nady could have predicted that. He did what he thought was in the best interest of Danny. Refs don't have the benefit of the doubt that we do (replay after, still shots, vines, ect..). Kovalev has a language barrier but he knows how to fight. He knows how to take a knee. You can't slump over in the middle of an exchange unprotected and expect anything other then what happened.

Would I like the stoppage as a viewer; no. It was justified though. Some low shots landed but make no mistake it was that right hand that put him where he was as well as a clean body punch. Another round and a brisk wind would have been the end.

Ward is a bad ass. It is what it is though.

Right, and I think people wanted beyond reasonable doubt, since so many fights become memorable when those moments are allowed to play out. The truth ends all conversations and the clean punches, like that right hand from Ward would have put a lot of this conversation to rest had the lowblows not been the reason for the stoppage.

So I see both sides. Would I have liked to see it continue? Yes, if only because closure would have been reached. I don't think the low-blows finished Kovalev, but they don't help Ward's case. And for a guy that has a history in the perception of many fans as a guy that - described by more than a few boxing personalities - is "a young Bernard Hopkins" (not used as a compliment), it makes this a case that diminishes how much of a badass he could have been. I'm not saying this to be disagreed with, but it's an accepted truth based on how things played out. That last round should have been an exclamation mark, instead it became either a question mark or an ellipses to many.

If you ever got punched in the genitals by someone trained to throw a punch, you would know even one of those shots would have put him in desperate trouble.....
Or that shot to his jaw that buckled him and had him running

He was in the ropes and Ward was leaning on him, not much he could do. They don't do prototypical standing 8 counts anymore, yes. But when a fighter is in the ropes/being held up by the ropes, they still do 8 counts for that, it would be wrong to say otherwise.

Kova was done and going to lose, but they should have been broken up and/or done an 8 count.
That's not a "8 count". That's a knockdown with only the ropes keeping him up.

No, he was not even defending himself, then got finished by legal shots to the body, it was going on like for a solid amount of time, he had lots of opportunity to show the ref he was still in it, and if Kov had it in him to have battled back, he would have.

He didn't. When Ward went upstairs, he finished the fight, the body shots (that were legal) at the end meant nothing, they only further illustrated Kov was already done to the ref.

That's not a "8 count". That's a knockdown with only the ropes keeping him up.

Yes I know, and I feel that should of happened. I was drunk last night and I said there is sta ding 8 counts when a fighter is in the ropes. But the. A bunch of people quoted me saying there is no standing 8. I was just clarifying now, since he was sitting on the ropes, as it was stopped, also with was leaning on him

No, he was not even defending himself, then got finished by legal shots to the body, it was going on like for a solid amount of time, he had lots of opportunity to show the ref he was still in it, and if Kov had it in him to have battled back, he would have.

He didn't. When Ward went upstairs, he finished the fight, the body shots (that were legal) at the end meant nothing, they only further illustrated Kov was already done to the ref.

Is was quite obvious Kovalev was wearing down, and likely to be stopped soon. That does nothing to negate the clear low blows. He indeed hit him with some hellacious body shots, real leveraged ones.

In the eight round he hit him, from what I have counted a couple times, with 1 left hand low on the hip, a headbutt to the groin, led head first right into Kovalev hitting Kovalev's face with his shoulder, quickly butted Kovalev again, moved his head in with a throwaway punch and knocked Kovalev straight in the mush with the top of his head, threw his head right into Kovalev's head, hits him with an easy (on camera, not to the ref) to spot low blow.

Immediately after the final low blow, he hits Kovalev with two borderline, but what I deem legal shots to the body. That's where Kovalev bends over. Nobody is going to deny that petitioning the ref is not the smartest idea, considering Ward will job keep swinging, obviously.

Then the huge right hand, and Ward swarms. They tie up, and Ward hits him with a questionably low blow. the the big liver shot, one of the best I have ever seen, and Kova was done. Another good body shot, another questionable one, more swarming shots, HUGE low blow, another huge low blow, third low blow that lifted Kovalev up at the waist, and that is it.

I've watched it like 10 times now, and gone frame by frame. That is a shitload of fouls in the span of 2 minutes. on the slow mo replays you can see where the punch reverberates, and the last 3 reverberations were in the groin area, none on the upper trunks, or on his uncovered body.

Back