There is no standing 8 count in Pro boxing...

RR

Step into the lab
Banned
Reaction score
I can't stomach reading any more of this. Jesus. How you can follow the sport and not know this is beyond me. It was gone in fucking 98.

Add in that the belt line isnt a low blow imo.

"Most people dont know shit about boxing."

I can't stomach reading any more of this. Jesus. How you can follow the sport and not know this is beyond me. It was gone in fucking 98.
Good year I was 10.
Recess football champs that year.

You're assuming they're making honest arguments. They will use any argument, valid or not, to cast doubt on Ward's victory. Now we're talking about low blows, and nobody is talking about the fact that Kovalev was looking for a way out of that fight for at least 1 round before the TKO.

I feel bad for Ward, he can't win with some people.

You're assuming they're making honest arguments. They will use any argument, valid or not, to cast doubt on Ward's victory. Now we're talking about low blows, and nobody is talking about the fact that Kovalev was looking for a way out of that fight for at least 1 round before the TKO.

I feel bad from Ward, he can't win with some people.

who the fuk are the "they" that you are referring to?

kovalev fans?

in your state of delusion have you considered that ward fans as well as impartial fans could be questioning the method in which andre ward won?

since you havent followed boxing for very long here is a fight very similar to what happened last night but nady would have none of it as he penanlized tito twice.

the low blows that kov suffered prior to the eigth round that weeks ignored could have had an effect on the fight. vargas was done in the 10th from the repeated fouls of tito, who knows how much the fouls of ward affected kov

weeks was not an impartial ref last night and this fight, in the coming days, well tarnish all the good work he did prior and rightfully so

I said before the that Ward has become the new Bradley and it looks like its gonna stay that way.

It was my Freshman year of college
I was 12, still a good year

kovalev fans?

in your state of delusion have you considered that ward fans as well as impartial fans could be questioning the method in which andre ward won?

since you havent followed boxing for very long here is a fight very similar to what happened last night but nady would have none of it as he penanlized tito twice.

the low blows that kov suffered prior to the eigth round that weeks ignored could have had an effect on the fight. vargas was done in the 10th from the repeated fouls of tito, who knows how much the fouls of ward affected kov

weeks was not an impartial ref last night and this fight, in the coming days, well tarnish all the good work he did prior and rightfully so

You're obfuscating the truth here.

Firstly, not all of the alleged "low blows" were actual low blows. This is a deliberate attempt to conflate the last alleged low blow with the body of work that Andre did to bring Kovalev down. It is very disingenuous. Earlier in the fight Kovalev buckled and complained on a punch that was CLEARLY on the beltline....a legal punch. Kovalev was looking for a way out and he capitalized on a Ward punch that was probably low, but was not why he lost.

Its not an honest argument the anti-Ward crowd is making. Disingenuous at best.

I was actually considering making this thread last night after reading umpteen tweets about how Tony Weeks should be suspended for not giving Kovalev a count.

Here's sports "journalist" Stephen A. Smith pushing this BS too:

As if we needed further proof that this clown DKSAB.

Kovalev was completely done. It was obvious to anyone. The right hand was it. He was already fading and had no idea what to do. He tried to wrap up but couldn't even do that.

As to the people protesting the stoppage, I think I can easily speak on this one. I'll reference Danny/Pirog since I've spoke on it a lot and obviously had personal interest. A lot of people noted that Danny was alert (he was trying to get up at 6 and was completely fine but Nady had his hand on his chest, pushed him back down and waved off the fight). Most would bitch but I never have nor has anyone else associated with him. The way Danny went down (we thought he was out too) looked bad. There's no way Nady could have predicted that. He did what he thought was in the best interest of Danny. Refs don't have the benefit of the doubt that we do (replay after, still shots, vines, ect..). Kovalev has a language barrier but he knows how to fight. He knows how to take a knee. You can't slump over in the middle of an exchange unprotected and expect anything other then what happened.

Would I like the stoppage as a viewer; no. It was justified though. Some low shots landed but make no mistake it was that right hand that put him where he was as well as a clean body punch. Another round and a brisk wind would have been the end.

Ward is a bad ass. It is what it is though.

He was in the ropes and Ward was leaning on him, not much he could do. They don't do prototypical standing 8 counts anymore, yes. But when a fighter is in the ropes/being held up by the ropes, they still do 8 counts for that, it would be wrong to say otherwise.

Kova was done and going to lose, but they should have been broken up and/or done an 8 count.

Kovalev was completely done. It was obvious to anyone. The right hand was it. He was already fading and had no idea what to do. He tried to wrap up but couldn't even do that.

As to the people protesting the stoppage, I think I can easily speak on this one. I'll reference Danny/Pirog since I've spoke on it a lot and obviously had personal interest. A lot of people noted that Danny was alert (he was trying to get up at 6 and was completely fine but Nady had his hand on his chest, pushed him back down and waved off the fight). Most would bitch but I never have nor has anyone else associated with him. The way Danny went down (we thought he was out too) looked bad. There's no way Nady could have predicted that. He did what he thought was in the best interest of Danny. Refs don't have the benefit of the doubt that we do (replay after, still shots, vines, ect..). Kovalev has a language barrier but he knows how to fight. He knows how to take a knee. You can't slump over in the middle of an exchange unprotected and expect anything other then what happened.

Would I like the stoppage as a viewer; no. It was justified though. Some low shots landed but make no mistake it was that right hand that put him where he was as well as a clean body punch. Another round and a brisk wind would have been the end.

Ward is a bad ass. It is what it is though.

Totally agree.

Why isn't anyone discussing the fact that Kovalev put Tony Weeks in an extremely awkward and unfair position?

Kov forced Tony Weeks to decide whether he could fight back, was truly hurt, or possibly could get hurt. It was Kovalev's responsibility to show Weeks that he had something. Either fight back, take a knee, cover up, punch Ward in the nuts, do something! Weeks was forced to get in Sergey's head and decide. He did that on purpose IMO, now Weeks is the bad guy and Kovalev has a plausible argument for not being a quitter.

Definitely was the right hand that ended that fight, but I felt Kov was going down himself to get the count/take a knee. But you're (obviously) right and he would have had to wait for him to go down/take a knee, but I think we were only a second or two away from that.
I will still cry shit stoppage on that, but certainly defer to your expertise and understand Weeks has to make an instant call.

kovalev fans?

You know I respect your opinion but this was in no way the same as Tito/Feroz. Tito did that to get out of trouble and it was obvious. Ironically, Nady is the ref in my previous post.

It was obvious how Weeks was reffing the fight. Kovalev should have went to Ward's hips (that's what I would have told him to do). That's just boxing. Let's be honest though he didn't have a plan B. Once he didn't have his big punch because his jab was neutralized it was over (along with an even smaller gas tank).

Ward always fights like this. Kov knew it. You can't look to the ref for help.

You're obfuscating the truth here.

Firstly, not all of the alleged "low blows" were actual low blows. This is a deliberate attempt to conflate the last alleged low blow with the body of work that Andre did to bring Kovalev down. It is very disingenuous. Earlier in the fight Kovalev buckled and complained on a punch that was CLEARLY on the beltline....a legal punch. Kovalev was looking for a way out and he capitalized on a Ward punch that was probably low, but was not why he lost.

Its not an honest argument the anti-Ward crowd is making. Disingenuous at best.

of course. just like in the mares/agbeko fight many of abners punches were on the belt line. but there were possibly four ward punches, not including the last three, that might have been low.

when was the last time andre ward has had five or six low blows in a fight?

when was the last time andre ward kod a ranked boxer not moving up or down in weight?

You know I respect your opinion but this was in no way the same as Tito/Feroz. Tito did that to get out of trouble and it was obvious. Ironically, Nady is the ref in my previous post.

It was obvious how Weeks was reffing the fight. Kovalev should have went to Ward's hips (that's what I would have told him to do). That's just boxing. Let's be honest though he didn't have a plan B. Once he didn't have his big punch because his jab was neutralized it was over (along with an even smaller gas tank).

Ward always fights like this. Kov knew it. You can't look to the ref for help.

agreed. kov should have fouled back. that is his fault as well as jdj.

i think that the low blows might have had an effect on kov in addition to wards bodyshots but well never know. sergey threw less than 400 punches in the fight and no reason to gas. he actually looked fine in the 7th before the ward headbut followed by andres low blow. both fouls where clear in the replay but weeks might not have been in position to see them

shame for tony weeks as he is normally a great ref and this outcome will unofrtunately tarnish his reputation

Add in that the belt line isnt a low blow imo.

"Most people dont know shit about boxing."

Didn't Weeks tell them both their trunks were good in instructions and show low as mid-line? Ward was consistently below the "K" on the center of Kov's belt line. The "K" in the "buckle" area of the trunks---for lack of a better way of putting it.

I've only watched once and maybe I'll see I was wearing Kov-colored glasses, but Ward was low multiple times after the warning (as I saw it first go-round). Not sure how anyone could not see Ward was going low last night, outcome aside.

Didn't Weeks tell them both their trunks were good in instructions and show low as mid-line? Ward was consistently below the "K" on the center of Kov's belt line. The "K" in the "buckle" area of the trunks---for lack of a better way of putting it.

I've only watched once and maybe I'll see I was wearing Kov-colored glasses, but Ward was low multiple times after the warning (as I saw it first go-round). Not sure how anyone could not see Ward was going low last night, outcome aside.

some diehard kovalev fans will put out videos showing rbr low blows just the same as there are mares/agbeko videos

before andres low blow in the seventh, it appears that he headbutts sergey.

Back