There is no "deserve" in the UFC; for those who don't understand that fact, you need to wake up.

The Big Bang

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Conor may indeed fight Diaz...again.

Does Diaz "deserve" a marquee fight over let's say...the winner of Lee vs Ferg...of course not, but Conor is the "star", so he will get that fight if he wants it.

Ironically, I totally think that if Conor was set to fight the winner of Lee vs Ferg it would appeal to MORE real UFC fans rather than Conor vs Nate which would appeal more towards casual fans...

...if only the UFC didn't care so much about casual fans...but oh well.

The UFC is about ENTERTAINMENT first and foremost, so obviously normal pro sports rules do not apply.

Did Conor "deserve" to be in the same ring as Floyd...fuck no, but...enough people were fooled by the hype, and...that's the point.

Ratings are what really matters to the UFC brass, and to that end...actual deserving fighters are often left in the dust.

So...stop whining about fighter X not deserving to fight fighter Y: The UFC is more like the WWE than a pro sport.

I mean, in what other sport would they allow someone like Conor and Ronda before him to be the FACE of the organization...?!?

I wish the UFC was fair, but...it's not.

No fighter is forced to join, so...tough shit.

Last edited:
Conor/Diaz 3 isn't entertaining though

All sports are about entertainment.

Obviously in the NBA commissioner's perfect world, the Lakers would play the Knicks in the Finals every year.

The reason MMA isn't a mainstream sport yet is BECAUSE of decisions that compromise the competitive aspect of the sport: giving undeserved title shots, ignoring rankings and trying to set up "money fights."

Ironically, the very thing that the UFC does in terms of "money fights" seems to be HURTING them in the long run, so yes, you are right.

I mean...imagine if Conor was scheduled to fight an ELITE fighter, in his next fight...(Nate is not even a gatekeeper) I have no doubt more people would be interested compared to Conor vs Diaz III

Alas, I can see Conor playing it safe...while stalling again and again.

What makes sports entertaining is the concept of meritocracy that seems to be ignored in MMA these days.

Obviously in the NBA commissioner's perfect world, the Lakers would play the Knicks in the Finals every year, but that rarely happens.

The reason MMA isn't a mainstream sport yet is BECAUSE of decisions that compromise the competitive aspect of the sport: giving undeserved title shots, ignoring rankings and trying to set up "money fights."
The nature of individual sports where they compete infrequently and are often compromised by injury makes a pure meritocracy impossible. And it's always been that way. Generally we see the cream rise to the top.

What makes sports entertaining is the concept of meritocracy that seems to be ignored in MMA these days.

Obviously in the NBA commissioner's perfect world, the Lakers would play the Knicks in the Finals every year, but that rarely happens.

The reason MMA isn't a truly mainstream sport yet is BECAUSE of decisions that compromise the competitive aspect of the sport, e.g. giving undeserved title shots, ignoring rankings and trying to set up "money fights."
Thank you!! Meritocracy is exactly what's missing from making it a legit sport. I highly doubt it ever goes back to that now...

That's what makes the sport entertaining, though. That's what makes these filler fights important. A trilogy fight between a semi-retired gatekeeper and this week's flavor isn't that appealing.

Yeah we know. CM Punk got to have his first ever fight in the UFC while most guys - especially outside the US - have to go through hell just to get into the prelims.

I kinda feel like they haven't been AS BAD about it this last year, as they were. Conor/LW shot/Mayweather and Henderson/Bisping are really the only two significant examples in the last year, that I can think of. Maybe I'm off here...just an opinion. What's more frustrating to me, has been fighters pulling out of title fights or title-implication fights. Again, only a few main examples of this, but at least the "undeserving" fights happened.

The reason MMA isn't a truly mainstream sport yet is BECAUSE of decisions that compromise the competitive aspect of the sport, e.g. giving undeserved title shots, ignoring rankings and trying to set up "money fights."
I would put the following reasons ahead of yours. Cage fighting will never have as much appeal as team sports that involve a ball/puck. A sport where most athletes perform 1-2 times a year is not too appealing for most people.

Yeah we know. CM Punk got to have his first ever fight in the UFC while most guys - especially outside the US - have to go through hell just to get into the prelims.

I agree...that was/is a terrible look for the "sport."

Conor may indeed fight Diaz...again.

Does Diaz "deserve" a marquee fight over let's say...the winner of Lee vs Ferg...of course not, but Conor is the "star", so he will get that fight if he wants it.

Ironically, I totally think that if Conor was set to fight the winner of Lee vs Ferg it would appeal to MORE real UFC fans rather than Conor vs Nate which would appeal more towards casual fans...

...if only the UFC didn't care so much about casual fans...but oh well.

The UFC is about ENTERTAINMENT first and foremost, so obviously normal pro sports rules do not apply.

Did Conor "deserve" to be in the same ring as Floyd...fuck no, but...enough people were fooled by the hype, and...that's the point.

Ratings are what really matters to the UFC brass, and to that end...actual deserving fighters are often left in the dust.

So...stop whining about fighter X not deserving to fight fighter Y: The UFC is more like the WWE than a pro sport.

I mean, in what other sport would they allow someone like Conor and Ronda before him to be the FACE of the organization...?!?

I wish the UFC was fair, but...it's not.

No fighter is forced to join, so...tough shit.

I swear to god, why does every Conor hater type like a 10 year old foreign boy with an envious stance towards success in first-world countries?

There is no 'deserve' in life other than life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in my opinion.

There is no 'deserve' in life other than life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in my opinion.

I'm not talking about life.

Life is suffering; this is a truism.

Now, how does one reconcile that fact... Therein lies the real question.

How does one make their life bearable, and dare I say MEANINGFUL in spite of the tragedy of life...

One can make it worse...but they can also make it better.

...I digress.

Curious about Ferguson/Lee first interim title defense while Conor does whatever the fook he wants.

I swear to god, why does every Conor hater type like a 10 year old foreign boy with an envious stance towards success in first-world countries?

Can't dispute his points, so straight to the insults.

I'm not talking about life.

Life is suffering; this is a truism.

Now, how does one reconcile that fact... Therein lies the real question.

How does one make their life bearable, and dare I say MEANINGFUL in spite of the tragedy of life...

One can make it worse...but they can also make it better.

...I digress.
Thankfully fighters like Conor make it better for all of us.

Back