There are no stars left in ONE or Rizin

If only popularity and ranking weren't mutually exclusive...

I don't think its anything to do with popularity.

Yes, One FC has some good fighters sprinkled through out the roster. But that is about it. After that it becomes a very unproven roster at best.

I think what gets under fans from other parts of the world is you got One FC talking about securing millions of dollars every once in a while. They talk a huge game every year. More or less overall bragging about their position overall. Yet in the end they run almost a regional style promotion in arenas. They go after the cheap pop of hometown talent. Anytime a free agent of name comes up I rarely hear said fighter ever getting an offer or considering One FC. I get what they are doing but don't posture like your ready to take over the world when your cancelling multiple events a year and are rarely ever a player in the worldwide MMA scene for free agents.

I don't think its anything to do with popularity.

Yes, One FC has some good fighters sprinkled through out the roster. But that is about it. After that it becomes a very unproven roster at best.

I think what gets under fans from other parts of the world is you got One FC talking about securing millions of dollars every once in a while. They talk a huge game every year. More or less overall bragging about their position overall. Yet in the end they run almost a regional style promotion in arenas. They go after the cheap pop of hometown talent. Anytime a free agent of name comes up I rarely hear said fighter ever getting an offer or considering One FC. I get what they are doing but don't posture like your ready to take over the world when your cancelling multiple events a year and are rarely ever a player in the worldwide MMA scene for free agents.

Do I really have to go over this exact same shit with you again? I'm not gonna have another "ONE is a regional org!/they constantly cancel their events/don't afford big names" conversation if you're not gonna listen.
Besides, none of that's relevant considering you had to change the subject from being about "stars" to being about "stars AND top fighters (just a euphemism for someone highly-ranked when you cut the malarkey)". I was poking fun at that.

Why do people outside Japan think Japan cares about people outside Japan? They put on great shows that are fun to watch.

Not even close to true, Cup O Noodles is world famous.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
ONE has a handful of good fighters, just not a lot of big names. They’ve got some good stars in the regions they visit, so it kind of makes sense for them not to have a lot of big free agents.

It amazes me how much people fail to remember that Pride never gave a shit about its popularity in the West (US really) until it was already too late for them.

Even UFC struggles to build stars at time. Conor sidelines, GSP who knows. Other champs ok and solid talent pool but not to many big names.

Bellator likewise with heavy payroll for discontent UFC fighters.

Instead Rizin and One have more affordable regional attractions which for limited audiences and revenue potential still allows the promotions to survive.

I enjoy the Rizin shows as much as UFC even though fighter caliber a bit lower, still intriguing matchups. Plus a forum for new talent to develop and some veterans to still compete.

The uFC title fight delays can be very frustrating even though many other high quality non title fights.

Back