There are no stars left in ONE or Rizin

Lionheart7167

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
One FC and Rizin have a lot of very talented fighters, no doubt. But can anyone name any extremely popular fighters?

One has Bibiano and Nguyen. Vera hasn't fought in over a year and Askren is effectively retired

Rizin keeps stocking the shelves with the same has been yesteryear pro's, and the top talent they do have (mostly smaller weight divisions) like McCall and Koriguchi are kind of left to flounder.

I love these organizations, but are they really making any sort of impact, outside of the hardcore fans digging it???

Not even close to true

Not even close to true

upload_2018-4-2_19-44-32.png
upload_2018-4-2_19-44-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-2_19-46-3.png
    upload_2018-4-2_19-46-3.png
    272.5 KB · Views: 3
Not even true to close

Horiguchi is the number 2 125er behind Mighty Mouse. He might not be a big name in the US but they can market him in Asia.

One has Bibiano and Nguyen. Vera hasn't fought in over a year and Askren is effectively retired
Askren was never one of their biggest stars. Their biggest stars are Aung La NSang, Angela Lee, Vera, Folayang maybe.

Crossover to the states stars? For sure they have zero. Over there? They have a couple that are big in certain markets.

Crossover to the states stars? For sure they have zero. Over there? They have a couple that are big in certain markets.
And that's all they care about.

Also they'd probably rather not have fighters that UFC would want to poach.
Their biggest stars are making great money but are probably not worth more than $14k/$14k to the UFC....perfect for ONE.

I should have been more clear. Yes, I meant crossover appeal to the States and by, and large, global MMA. I understand that a few of those fighters are popular in the marginal reaches. When I say "star" I mean a fighter who has global appeal and who transcends MMA.

Horiguchi is the number 2 125er behind Mighty Mouse. He might not be a big name in the US but they can market him in Asia.

Not to mention he might be a top 5 135er as well. 2 wins in one night.

Come on guys TS isn't that far off.

Sure, do they have few guys, yes. But overall it is thin at best across all the weight classes when talking about stars or truly top fighters. Just because you can name a few doesn't mean TS is wrong and I'm sure TS is aware of those handful of guys.

Love these orgs all you want and I enjoy some there events but at least be realistic of what they're offering in the big picture.

Last edited:
Come on guys TS isn't that far off.

Sure, do they have few guys, yes. But overall it is thin at best across all the weight classes when talking about stars or truly top fighters. Just because you can a few doesn't mean TS is wrong and I'm sure TS is aware of those handful of guys.

Love these orgs all you want and I enjoy some there events but at least be realistic of what they're offering in the big picture.
The thread is entitled "There are no stars left in ONE or Rizin?" with a sentence in the body "But can anyone name any extremely popular fighters?".

I should have been more clear. Yes, I meant crossover appeal to the States and by, and large, global MMA. I understand that a few of those fighters are popular in the marginal reaches. When I say "star" I mean a fighter who has global appeal and who transcends MMA.

Rizin is marketed towards japanese and ONE towards asians, they could care less about global appeal.

Lots of good fighters.
The last 2 RIZIN events were really exciting.

RENA, King Reina, Tenshin, Rin Nakai, Horiguchi, Kana Watanabe, Kanako Murata,Gabi Garcia, Kron Gracie, Kanna Asakura, and Shinju Nozawa Auclair are all "stars" in my opinion.

I like the way RIZIN is developing.
I think what might make RIZIN bigger would be co-sponsored events with fighters from other organizations in Asia and around the world.

Not even true to close

Back