The world is running out of sand — there’s even a violent black market for it

Looks at thread title...

Looks at backyard...

Shiiiiiiiiii they can come get mine!

If they find a cheap way of turning desert sand into the angular kind, well, thats just another boon for the ME.

And if the sand and gravel we use for construction comes from bottom of lakes and rivers, does this mean we are draining the lakes and rivers to get too it.

Oh poor beavers and otters

but what about the sand at the bottom of oceans?

The title is misleading and so are the articles.

Yes, the world is "running out of natural sand" but sand can also be made with XIX century technology.

People "mine" sand simply because its cheaper which of course fucks up with the enviroment. We wont have a "sand shortage" as the topic implies because sand is simply silica which is literally everywhere, and sand doesnt even requires specialized mills since its a relatively large particle size (portland cement particle size is measured in the microns, while sand is measured in mm, a visual perpective on cement vs sand in size)

particle-sizes.gif

Sure, sand is a larger percentage of the mix in concrete, but still, sand is not something particularly difficult to manufacture.

So if you want to make a thread about the ecological implications of sand mining, sure there is a point to be made, the notion that we are "running out of sand" is ridiculous though. As i said, manufacturing sand requires XIX century tech.

In fact a lot of specialized work wont even use natural sand, because they require a uniform grain size and resistance that can only be given by crushed sand.

Here is how a stone quarry works.

You so Boss

Tu eres muy Jefe

This is fucking crazy......

“From 2011 to 2013, China used more cement than the United States used in the entire 20th century,” Beiser told the New York Times.
That is how they cement their legacy, Like Sand Through The Hourglass... So Are The Days Of their Lives!

Well, then I should sell all the sand in the crack of my ass after spending the week at the beach.

We're running out of the 2nd most abundant substance on the planet? I'm not even going to read the article.

we need a specific kind of sand for construction (desert sand is not good for that)....Thats why you should READ the article....

we need a specific kind of sand for construction (desert sand is not good for that)....Thats why you should READ the article....

It's just more chicken little the world is ending bull shit.
What's this week's world ending disaster? Fucking sand.

Something I have always been wondering about is why we have not solved the case of making sand in to a useable resource and a cheap way to transform saltwater in to freshwater. Mankind has sent people to the moon and yet in 2018 we can not handle these 2 giants in a constructive way. Instead, we have the issue of deserts getting bigger and the ocean levels getting higher. Why are not the rich states of mideast pumping money in to research of sand?

On a side note. Denmark are nearly finished with their latest windmill park in the Baltic sea. When up and running, Denmark will have 50% of their energy use from wind. Now that is constructive!

Last edited:
Something I have always been wondering about is why we have not solved the case of making sand in to a useable resource and a cheap way to transform saltwater in to freshwater. Mankind has sent people to the moon and yet in 2018 we can not handle these 2 giants in a constructive way. Instead, we have the issue of deserts getting bigger and the ocean levels getting higher. Why are not the rich states of mideast pumping money in to research of sand?

On a side note. Denmark are nearly finished with their latest windmill park in the Baltic sea. When up and running, Denmark will have 50% of their energy use from wind. Now that is constructive!
the desert sand is useless for industrial and construction applications because it's too smooth.

Time to buy a sand pit... people probably give that land away up here...

This is fucking crazy......

“From 2011 to 2013, China used more cement than the United States used in the entire 20th century,” Beiser told the New York Times.
Their country needs more empty cities and quaint replica of european cities - which are also empty - because 5000 yr of civilization.

@Seaside

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

@Seaside

There is a theory that Emperor Palpatine put sand inside Vader's suit so he gets more irritated and in pain so he would fall deeper into the darkside! He probably put all that sand in the crotch area as well!

Since Anakin was severely burned his dick must have fallen off and so Palpatine probably just ask the medical Droids to create an artificial Vagina for Vader, So Vader really has lots of Sand in his Vagina!

So maybe some Sith out there are collecting this Sand to put into some ones Vagina!

the desert sand is useless for industrial and construction applications because it's too smooth.

Well, I did know that. Or do you take for granted that all in here does not read the sources or have some kind of knowledge beforehand? As I have been invested in our vocal battle against the danes for them vaccumcleaning the sand in the Sound and by so destroying the maritime life in the process.

So the question is still there. Do they hire the best scientist to do a deep research about the sand in the deserts? And by them I was looking in the direction of the rich states of the middle east.

If we can have solar and wind power as the future energy source, why can´t we do anything to shrinken the size of our deserts in the world?

Back