The Wire - In your opinion, what was the best scene of this masterpiece?

yeah the show is very well written and detailed but it's definitely overrated and boring as fuck.

I can see how some people would feel that way. It takes a certain level of intellect, taste, and more of a analytical mind to fully grip understand and appreciate it. It's all the small things in the show plus great characters and writing that seamlessly interwoven together in one of the most interesting and unique settings you can find, at the same time made it very real.

I can see how some people would feel that way. It takes a certain level of intellect, taste, and more of a analytical mind to fully grip understand and appreciate it. It's all the small things in the show plus great characters and writing that seamlessly interwoven together in one of the most interesting and unique settings you can find, at the same time made it very real.
It's definitely not that, as I am an engineer. I just don't care for super realistic drug shows, I see it in real life. As a tv show, I preferred breaking bad because it's more fun. I do respect the wire for its realistic nature, I just don't care for it. Kind of reminds me of rick and morty fans saying you have to be smart to "get it". that simply isn't the case.

It's definitely not that, as I am an engineer. I just don't care for super realistic drug shows, I see it in real life. As a tv show, I preferred breaking bad because it's more fun. I do respect the wire for its realistic nature, I just don't care for it.

Well, yeah I sort of came off as acting like you need to have a superior mind to enjoy it. That';s not really what I meant. But we all have our own tastes and I guess The Wire just isn't your average type of entertainment - some like entertainment to be , well more entertaining not slow paced like a novel.. it's realism is what I enjoy much like Mad Men which I know a lot of other people don't enjoy as much either as it seems boring to them.

Breaking Bad is up there as well, top 5 for sure.

Well, yeah I sort of came off as acting like you need to have a superior mind to enjoy it. That';s not really what I meant. But we all have our own tastes and I guess The Wire just isn't your average type of entertainment - some like entertainment to be , well more entertaining not slow paced like a novel.. it's realism is what I enjoy much like Mad Men which I know a lot of other people don't enjoy as much either as it seems boring to them.

Breaking Bad is up there as well, top 5 for sure.
ah definitely agreed! just wasn't my cup of tea in all honesty. just my opinion (I know it's not a popular one)

ah definitely agreed! just wasn't my cup of tea in all honesty. just my opinion (I know it's not a popular one)

I in the middle of your opinion and Thuckery's opinion. I enjoyed the realism of the show, and many of the characters, but I don't think it is the best show ever written.

My first time watching I thought season two drug a lot, and I didn't care for the fake serial killer plot line in the later seasons.

I also don't think it was filmed in any particular amazing way. No really fun camera angles, no super technical shots, etc.

I think the tracking shot in season 1 of True Detective is hands down more impressive than anything in The Wire.

I did really appreciate how The Wire showed the connections between street level dealers and political candidates. How is showed the ruthlessness of the street drug trade. I enjoyed the social commentary of New Amsterdam(or whatever they called it). I thought many of the actors did a tremendous job.

I hated season 2 the first time I watched it, but after a rewatch I think you realize how good it actually is.

This is one of the saddest scenes in television for me. It truly demonstrates the cruel reality of time, change, and childhood relationships. Duquan was a really good kid, smart, interested in computers etc and really cared about Micheal. With no support structure or opportunity in life he became hooked on drugs and will probably suffer the fate of someone like Bubs or worse. Micheal was a good kid too, but he was a warrior and became hardened to the point where he forgot who he truly was.

When Duquan reminisce's about the piss baloon story they shared and turns to Michael and asks him "You remember Mike" and Micheal responds, ".........I don't". It was like Micheal made a conscious decision to forget everything in pursuit of gangsterism, betraying Duquan who needed him so badly. If not to just remember a good memory.

I think the tracking shot in season 1 of True Detective is hands down more impressive than anything in The Wire.

It's more impressive than anything in most shows period.

I in the middle of your opinion and Thuckery's opinion. I enjoyed the realism of the show, and many of the characters, but I don't think it is the best show ever written.

My first time watching I thought season two drug a lot, and I didn't care for the fake serial killer plot line in the later seasons.

I also don't think it was filmed in any particular amazing way. No really fun camera angles, no super technical shots, etc.

I did really appreciate how The Wire showed the connections between street level dealers and political candidates. How is showed the ruthlessness of the street drug trade. I enjoyed the social commentary of New Amsterdam(or whatever they called it). I thought many of the actors did a tremendous job.

Yep, see.. I really wanted to enjoy True Detective. Season 1 for me felt like a great setup and everything but had a vibe of "we're better than any other show" sort of like a strange over-confidence of the whole thing - I know that sounds very weird but that's the best way I could describe it. And as the season goes on it just seemed to not really feel like one whole properly built package.. like it was a story that was made up as it went and the plot kept getting handed over to new people or something.

Season 2 seemed overdone as well.. like they tried TOO hard and all the seriousness felt 'off'.. idk..

It really is all about taste and perception. One man's junk is another's treasure for real.

Yep, see.. I really wanted to enjoy True Detective. Season 1 for me felt like a great setup and everything but had a vibe of "we're better than any other show" sort of like a strange over-confidence of the whole thing - I know that sounds very weird but that's the best way I could describe it. And as the season goes on it just seemed to not really feel like one whole properly built package.. like it was a story that was made up as it went and the plot kept getting handed over to new people or something.

Season 2 seemed overdone as well.. like they tried TOO hard and all the seriousness felt 'off'.. idk..

It really is all about taste and perception. One man's junk is another's treasure for real.

Season 2 was hot garbage. The best thing to come from season 2 were the Vince Vaughn memes.

Season 1, IMO, is a master piece, and I couldn't disagree more with your critique of the plot not being cohesive.

Season 1 was unique in that every episode was written by Nic Pizzolatto and every episode was directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga. I can't think of any other TV shows where that is the case. I thought that allowed them to keep a tight narrative about two characters that covered more than a decade.

Season 2 was hot garbage. The best thing to come from season 2 were the Vince Vaughn memes.

Season 1, IMO, is a master piece, and I couldn't disagree more with your critique of the plot not being cohesive.

Season 1 was unique in that every episode was written by Nic Pizzolatto and every episode was directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga. I can't think of any other TV shows where that is the case. I thought that allowed them to keep a tight narrative about two characters that covered more than a decade.

Curious I stopped watching how is 3? because the show did have its moments. I especially enjoyed the fat little ginger kid raped step child thing and other unique stuff.

I enjoy things that are unexpected

Curious I stopped watching how is 3? because the show did have its moments. I especially enjoyed the fat little ginger kid raped step child thing and other unique stuff.

I enjoy things that are unexpected

I don't think 3 has started filming yet. They were considering cancelling the show after the disastrous second season.

On the bright side they've brought in a great cast and some great writing help.

I hated season 2 the first time I watched it, but after a rewatch I think you realize how good it actually is.
couldn't agree more, I think it is possibly the best season of the series.

B3KZRCkCAAIARo5.jpg

Back