The Williams Guard: A Compendium (GIF & Image Heavy) Long Post!

Yeah, we do shrimping. My suggestion about getting better angle was something like this: imo it's easier to make a proper angle if my butt is on the floor rather than high on opponent hips (wich I prefer).

Thats interesting. Thank you very much again! I will try this stuff on the mat tommorow.

Do you mean you have a closed guard? Yeah it's probably going to be easier if you open up and drop your hips.

I've tried omoplata from Williams guard this weekend again. Your advices were very helpful. Being completely on my side, my head far away from my opponent, and free leg knee under his chest (something like threatening triangle) helps a lot. Even so inflexible person as I am can bring leg over the head easy enough. Though getting a perfect angle is pretty hard. It's not hard to go to Williams, but this angle for omoplata is tought one for me to get at the moment.
Thank you very much again!

I've tried omoplata from Williams guard this weekend again. Your advices were very helpful. Being completely on my side, my head far away from my opponent, and free leg knee under his chest (something like threatening triangle) helps a lot. Even so inflexible person as I am can bring leg over the head easy enough. Though getting a perfect angle is pretty hard. It's not hard to go to Williams, but this angle for omoplata is tought one for me to get at the moment.
Thank you very much again!

Good to hear! The angle and getting your knee out is the toughest thing about the guard. There's a lot of subtleties.

Thanks so much for this thread. I've been using this guard to help with my Triangle choke, since its hard for me to do it the old fashioned way. For whatever reason, I can pull the choke better from this set up than the other way. This guard has really improved my game. Thanks again!

This thread is awesome

Thanks so much for this thread. I've been using this guard to help with my Triangle choke, since its hard for me to do it the old fashioned way. For whatever reason, I can pull the choke better from this set up than the other way. This guard has really improved my game. Thanks again!

Thanks broski's!

Just bumping thread....

Just starting to teach RAT guard, and a good starting point into Leghook, have not taught leghook yet....but not a lot of GnP Scrappling vids out there

Awesome stuff, Gambledub.

I play a lot of closed and open guard, and I go to rubber guard a lot, but I have been thinking of the Williams Guard for awhile. I do think I will try to use this one more in rolling.

Gamble, love the compendium. I have been playing around with this guard for a long time. Getting smashed and loosing my free leg to half guard are my two biggest problems. I've figured that keeping my free knee either really tight to my opponent or just opposite, keeping it wide out loose and mobile keeps me in an offensive position even in the smash. I still have not been able to regain be offesive when ever I loose the free leg to a half guard, (opponent steps over the free leg) Any suggestions on this? I've caught a couple guys with the bump sweep if they jam the leg with their free arm and get their hips too high, but if they are low and heavy and get over the leg and pinch it between their legs I get a stuck, and ultimately bail on the leg hook side, and end up in half guard. Not a bad place to be. But was wondering if anyone has experiences with keeping the leg hook while in a half guard position? Thanks

Hot damn I missed this!

Any chance anyone can repost this with all the gifs intact?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back