The Williams Guard: A Compendium (GIF & Image Heavy) Long Post!

Breaking down Zombie to Rat Guard to Leghook Guard to OMA PLATA on the Side and why that is so much better, and tons of Oma Plata finishing Variation Subs

tons of counters maybe u haven't seen

if u picked anything up u haven't seen before, or something u think will help plz comment and bump the thread for others. It is a lot of work and I try to cover all aspects of MMA, Grappling, and Combatives/RMA for people to learn from. And GambleDub spent a lot of time doing this, so bump for others

Thanks for the bump Dan! Interesting timing too, I have something lined up (hopefully) for the anniversary of this thread.

that's funny I was looking through some videos for this position half an hour ago but they called it the RAT GUARD not WILLIAMS GUARD

ok I spotted the differences bookmarked the thread

Last edited:
Some great details from Neil Melanson showing his variations of the guard, including the armbar Swinney caught Bill Cooper in:

[YT]c2Fv2e0_rKg[/YT]

tim elliot, a grappler i really like, did combo rat guard and pre leg hook that got him a standup vs makovsky. Elliot has also gone for the imaniri roll in ufc.

nice work gambledub

you should get a sticky with all your guides in it.

tim elliot, a grappler i really like, did combo rat guard and pre leg hook that got him a standup vs makovsky. Elliot has also gone for the imaniri roll in ufc.

I remember seeing that actually, it was a ref stand up though, iirc?

nice work gambledub

you should get a sticky with all your guides in it.

Thanks I appreciate the compliment!

It looks like videos are creeping out the woodwork!

[YT]sa6ecgX5s1s[/YT]

[YT]ert6iX_cmv0[/YT]

[YT]AzHdj-k88F8[/YT]

This is a great technique, it's best use imo is when the opponent steps over your far leg before you can get the omoplata. It works well as you can hook the leg to prevent the opponent from rolling.

[YT]2LGa1A-kZls[/YT]

And this just came out from Budo Jake, wow! I have mentioned the lapel grips in passing in this thread but I have never seen it demonstrated. This is different to what I have played around with and is very cool. Between this video and the one from Neil Melanson a few days ago there have been some very unique and awesome developments with this guard. The rest of the techniques in this video are also well worth a look!

[YT]t_6ScdDsXNY[/YT]

It looks like I have more gifs to add to the cue. I'm starting to have projects on top of projects!

Last edited:
Just wanted to add a couple of videos to the thread. Anyways they are by an awesome new Marcelo black belt named Dominyka Obelenyte. She has a really nice spider guard and recently I have seen her playing with the Williams Guard. The first video is of her winning this years NY Open with a mounted gogoplata after beating Nyjah 12 or 13 to 0. The second video is of her sweeping and submitting Marcelo with some type of shoulder attack from her Williams/Spiderish guard. You will have to be a MGIA member for the second.

http://www.mginaction.com/VideoDetails.aspx?VideoId=25564

ps. Its really amazing to see all the different types of games that come out of MG Academy. Dillon the Leg Locker, Dominyka the Collar and Sleeve, Spider, Closed Guard player and so on...

Just wanted to add a couple of videos to the thread. Anyways they are by an awesome new Marcelo black belt named Dominyka Obelenyte. She has a really nice spider guard and recently I have seen her playing with the Williams Guard. The first video is of her winning this years NY Open with a mounted gogoplata after beating Nyjah 12 or 13 to 0. The second video is of her sweeping and submitting Marcelo with some type of shoulder attack from her Williams/Spiderish guard. You will have to be a MGIA member for the second.

http://www.mginaction.com/VideoDetails.aspx?VideoId=25564

ps. Its really amazing to see all the different types of games that come out of MG Academy. Dillon the Leg Locker, Dominyka the Collar and Sleeve, Spider, Closed Guard player and so on...

Thanks for sharing, i'll have a look now! Also I agree, the amount of different games coming out of MG is crazy!

Those videos are both awesome thanks Mike! I'll be on the lookout for more of her for sure! I really like how she uses an omoplata trap to look for the shoulder lock. I've seen that attack a bit but i've never seen a consistent name for it.

Hi, Gambledub. Your guide to Williams guard is great!
I'm newb in grappling doing only no gi and really want to make my guard submissions better. So I think Williams guard would be good addition to my closed guard. Also the way the guard works (angle, posture prevention, offencivenes) reminds me concepts told by Ryan Hall in his Triangle DVD section about guard, but imo Williams guard is safer for me and gives better control due to my lack of experience.
I have watched Shawn Williams instructionals, have read your guide and tried a couple of things with training partner. I have two questions and they somehow related to each other.
1) It is said that hooked leg knee should be somewhere on the back near the spine, not on the shoulder, though the way Shawn Williams do it himself in his instructional DVDs and in Rolled Up episode is different. I mean his knee is rather near his own chest and his thigh is in his opponent armpit.
2) So this follows from previous question. When I try to keep my knee on the back as advised, my thigh seems to be somewhere on the shoulder. And when from this position I try to do omoplata it feels like I'm stuck and lock myself. I'm on my side and not lying flat on my back, my partner arm is on the mat and I have no idea of how to bring his shoulder to the floor because my own body, hips and thigh positioning prevents this. I neither can bring my foot over head, nor bring my knee to the floor.
So, am I missing something? Maybe when trying omplata i must bring my knee closer to my chest and thigh to armpit? Is knee on the back only for posture prevention and control? Any suggestions please?

Hey snowdale I just saw this. I'm at work at the moment, but i'll give you an answer when I get home, so I can use pictures and gifs

OK, thank you!

Ok, you are quite right in that the knee near the spine is NOT necessary, I used that phrase so beginners with the position will try and focus on getting good knee and leg position. You are also right in that the position is mainly used for control and you can abandon it if you need to to attack. The important concept is that you have something pinning the shoulder, whether it's your knee or your thigh or even part of the frame. I like to think of it as trying to get your knee to the spine, but if that doesn't help you to think like that don't worry!

The important part is that you have control of the shoulder, if the opponent can free their shoulder, they can free their arm...

rfsxhfj.gif

Inoi8a8.gif

It's also worth noting that your knee should be close to your chest, but at the same time it should be covering the opponent's shoulder.

As for the omoplata, that becomes a bit more difficult without seeing it, so consider these more guidelines than concrete solutions. Firstly, is the opponent hugging your free leg? If the opponent can prevent you from getting the knee of your non hooking leg out it can much more difficult.

LHGkVVQ.gif

Also how far away is your head from your opponents? You can be on your side which is good, but if you aren't at a good body angle in relation to your opponent it can be difficult. Ideally you want to be at a perpendicular angle from your opponent, if you can see your opponent's ear that is generally a good sign. Here is a good example...

xScPjwz.gif

If you aren't at this angle, you want to use your free leg to push off the hip (again you need your knee free) to turn yourself

G0I6U4j.gif

Here you see Melanson use the foot on hip to change the angle (though he goes to a high guard not an omoplata here) notice initially he is looking at his opponents forehead, before he changes the angle and can look at the ear.

Does this make sense? Hopefully it helps, let me know if you have any more questions or how it works out!

This is end of training he big strong and sweaty, but wanted to post and let you know gamble I finally uploaded my old vids on my CatchJitsu.com youtube page if you want to find for gifs eventually

As for the omoplata, that becomes a bit more difficult without seeing it, so consider these more guidelines than concrete solutions. Firstly, is the opponent hugging your free leg? If the opponent can prevent you from getting the knee of your non hooking leg out it can much more difficult.
LHGkVVQ.gif
My opponent is not hugging my free leg but trying to be tight and control my hips (or maybe prevent triangle threat), so I feel somewhat stuck. About bringing my free leg out, I think I can do it just not that easy. Thanks to your guide I saw something like that on video about 'Russian guard'. The guy there doing omoplata just like that - brings his knee like he is threatening triangle and then go for omoplata. Though it's not the way Shawn Williams do it and I think you well explained that below.
Also how far away is your head from your opponents? You can be on your side which is good, but if you aren't at a good body angle in relation to your opponent it can be difficult. Ideally you want to be at a perpendicular angle from your opponent, if you can see your opponent's ear that is generally a good sign. Here is a good example...
xScPjwz.gif

If you aren't at this angle, you want to use your free leg to push off the hip (again you need your knee free) to turn yourself
G0I6U4j.gif

Here you see Melanson use the foot on hip to change the angle (though he goes to a high guard not an omoplata here) notice initially he is looking at his opponents forehead, before he changes the angle and can look at the ear.
Yeah, you're right my angle is not perfect, I am on my side, but angle is something about 60 degrees. Thanks for advice about using foot on the hip to adjust the angle. Also I have suggestion about me not getting good angle. I prefer to be high on opponents hips and avoid inbetween space to prevent knee split pass, and it's kind of hard for me to make a good angle from there (or my set ups are just too weak for now lol). Is it easier to make a better angle with my butt on the floor?
Does this make sense? Hopefully it helps, let me know if you have any more questions or how it works out!
Yes, it make perfect sense, thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!
P.S. Sorry if my English is bad, it's not my native, hope my explanations are somewhat clear.

My opponent is not hugging my free leg but trying to be tight and control my hips (or maybe prevent triangle threat), so I feel somewhat stuck. About bringing my free leg out, I think I can do it just not that easy. Thanks to your guide I saw something like that on video about 'Russian guard'. The guy there doing omoplata just like that - brings his knee like he is threatening triangle and then go for omoplata. Though it's not the way Shawn Williams do it and I think you well explained that below.

Yeah, you're right my angle is not perfect, I am on my side, but angle is something about 60 degrees. Thanks for advice about using foot on the hip to adjust the angle. Also I have suggestion about me not getting good angle. I prefer to be high on opponents hips and avoid inbetween space to prevent knee split pass, and it's kind of hard for me to make a good angle from there (or my set ups are just too weak for now lol). Is it easier to make a better angle with my butt on the floor?

Yes, it make perfect sense, thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!
P.S. Sorry if my English is bad, it's not my native, hope my explanations are somewhat clear.

Getting the knee out is very, very tough, especially against an opponent who knows what they are doing. Something you can try is to try and sweep them to the non hooked side, like this:

RCbVpI8.gif

Usually the opponent will post their arm out to stop the sweep, but it will give you the space to bring your knee inside. To change the angle you want to use a movement similar to shrimping to be able to get on your side (do you shrimp in class?) If you find yourself flat on your butt, you can turn your feet the opposite way you want to go to turn yourself.

WE3YRye.gif

Also, if you get the leg over the face, you no longer have to worry too much about the knee slice. There is a move called the "Carni" which is like a kimura, but with your leg over like an omoplata. You do it from half guard when they step over, because your leg in between the opponent's legs stops them from rolling forward to escape the sub.

GpnG7O7.gif

To change the angle you want to use a movement similar to shrimping to be able to get on your side (do you shrimp in class?) If you find yourself flat on your butt, you can turn your feet the opposite way you want to go to turn yourself.
WE3YRye.gif
Yeah, we do shrimping. My suggestion about getting better angle was something like this: imo it's easier to make a proper angle if my butt is on the floor rather than high on opponent hips (wich I prefer).
Also, if you get the leg over the face, you no longer have to worry too much about the knee slice. There is a move called the "Carni" which is like a kimura, but with your leg over like an omoplata. You do it from half guard when they step over, because your leg in between the opponent's legs stops them from rolling forward to escape the sub.
GpnG7O7.gif
Thats interesting. Thank you very much again! I will try this stuff on the mat tommorow.

Back