The War Room Lounge v.8: Conor was Framed by the Deep State Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though he calls himself a Communist really I think a lot of the WR right wingers wouldn't mind Zizek too much if they listened to him. He never plays apologist for the Communist regimes of the 20th century and even though he doesn't support the right wing reactionaries of Europe like Le Pen and Farage he nonetheless admits there's a cultural tension between Islamic immigrants and Western host countries that's worth talking about and is too often dismissed by leftists.

Even though he calls himself a Communist really I think a lot of the WR right wingers wouldn't mind Zizek too much if they listened to him. He never plays apologist for the Communist regimes of the 20th century and even though he doesn't support the right wing reactionaries of Europe like Le Pen and Farage he nonetheless admits there's a cultural tension between Islamic immigrants and Western host countries that's worth talking about and is too often dismissed by leftists.

Well, that's a dense subject, as being an "apologist" is kind of a superfluous designation. In the eyes of many persons, who I would personally characterize as being reductive or propagandized, he is (and I am) certainly an apologist for brutal communist regimes in that he acknowledges the reality of their development, their compulsion, and their success and failures.

Also, @Kafir-kun, on the topic of Zizek, I always really liked his interview here.

That is Slavoj at his best. Here I actually think he's doing the opposite of what Chomsky accuses him of doing and is actually simplifying something that has more depth to it in a way that facilitates understanding.

I generally agree with that he says here and it gets to the disagreement I have with the center left guys here. I don't think Bernie was perfect but I think he was the vaccine to keep us from Trump and the Dems screwed the pooch in not electing him. I don't care that Hillary would've been a more efficient technocratic tinker and policy wonk, electing her would've kicked the Trump can down the road.

@bobgeese

Was your thread deleted?

I think it was merged into the house calling for prosecution thread.

Of course, it’s an entirely different subject, and is breaking news, but what else do you expect from shartdog. You used to be able to come here for breaking news. Now you come here to cry about trump, or laugh at people crying about trump.

From a technical "Prime on Prime" analysis I can't disagree. Tyson was a small HW and Ali's size advantage plus his reflexes would have likely frustrated Tyson. Of course Tyson could win the fight with his speed and power but as much of a Tyson fanboy as I am I figure Mike wins maybe 1 out of 3 in that matchup.

Fair. I'd agree with those odds, but I'd chalk it up more to uncertainty. That is, if I'm right, I think Ali wins more often than that, but Tyson was good, and I could be wrong. I remember in one of these threads, I had some of the same concerns about Garbrandt before he faced Cruz. I thought Cody could definitely KO Cruz, but that he'd more likely be tooled. Instead, he showed way better footwork than I expected (subtle turns to stay in a good position, especially) and won a clear decision. I don't think that was an underdog just coming through; it was me being wrong about what the odds should have been going in. That said, I think I have a better handle on Tyson's skills now than I did on Cody's at that time.

The Douglas bout is no measuring point though. Tyson had just fired his entire support system and was in the clutches of the Don Kings and Robin Givenss of the world. He trained little if at all for that fight. Instead of competent trainers in his corner he had a few of his yes-men who were so lame that they didn't bring an ice-pack to the ring. Even with all that Tyson almost pulled that fight out of his ass with that late knockdown. When Tyson was right he routinely smoked fighters with better skill sets than Douglas.

Yeah, I disagree pretty strongly with this, and I did anticipate that this would be the real sticking point. Watch Tyson vs. Thomas and Tyson vs. Douglas back to back. I think the Thomas fight would give you the expectation that someone fighting like Douglas did would beat Mike's ass. And I think Buster was damned good that night.

I'm going to tread lightly here. The evidence IIRC is that D. Washington went to Tyson's room, voluntarily disrobed, voluntarily let him go down on her, and at some point after that she claimed that she was raped. Look, I'm not some caveman. If a woman says stop you stop. Been there, done that, it sucks but I can live by that rule. I believe that any man who forces himself on a woman disgraces himself as a man.

That being said, I think there's some reasonable speculation as to where that encounter between Tyson and Washington may or may not have crossed over from bad sex to rape. I figure that if she let him go down on her she let him put his dick in her, or at least that's some reasonable expectation at that point between consenting adults. At some point she realized that Iron Mike wasn't the gentle sensitive lover she envisioned and she wanted out. No doubt Tyson wasn't paying fuck-all attention to her needs and finished up, told her to get her clothes on and get the fuck out.

Washington had no injuries. She was not struck, didn't show bruising consistent with being restrained, I think her injuries were to her pride and hell hath no fury. Mike Tyson was an easy target and public sentiment was leaning against him and good luck finding a juror who didn't have an opinion on Mike Tyson. None of this makes Tyson anything other than the tremendously flawed individual he is but I think he got the shaft on that one.

But that's like, just my opinion man.

OK. I don't know as much about the details of the case as you seem to. I thought she did have injuries consistent with a rape, though. That's why I gave a kind of general response (I usually assume juries know more than I do, and I basically wouldn't put it past him based on stuff he's said himself).

I thought she did have injuries consistent with a rape, though.

Some of those common injuries can occur too in really rough consensual sex too is a big problem and makes investigating this shit a bitch.

CNBC is reporting on "alpha males" in the market. Men with lower testosterone levels perform almost 6% better in market. This makes sense to me. Emotional control.

Nerding out like a motherfucker right now.

CNBC is reporting on "alpha males" in the market. Men with lower testosterone levels perform almost 6% better in market. This makes sense to me. Emotional control.
possibly the only upside to low T
"The meek shall inherit the Earth"

If so then I say
4c3.gif

That's nearly the difference between the market index and cash. Wow.

@Fawlty and I were talking about the pledge. I think I may have a bias here. There are probably a lot of places in America where patriotism is cool and the pledge means something to some people. My high school was just the most cynical haters ever. Hate on anything. lol. Nothing is sacred. No school spirit. Piss on our sports teams. Cheerleaders have a pep rally and we boo them out of the gym. While calling them ugly and throwing things. They were ugly too.

The high school was like Sherdog. But with girls too. Or like a UFC crowd.

One piece of indoctrination in school that did fuck me up though was the subject of drugs. My dad smokes a lot of weed. I didn't know weed was bad, or thought bad, till like 2nd grade. Then we get an anti-drug demonstration and I realize my father is basically a crackhead or smackhead. Putting weed up there with those drugs. There really wasn't any distinction made. I was so ashamed. They destroyed my father in my eyes. I was scared he would get arrested and go to prison too. That began my hatred of cops. I started early.

Really think public schools should require kids to go sit in on a couple court hearings to see how the legal process works.

Amount of mis-information would be comical if it wasn't so damn serious.

@Fawlty and I were talking about the pledge. I think I may have a bias here. There are probably a lot of places in America where patriotism is cool and the pledge means something to some people. My high school was just the most cynical haters ever. Hate on anything. lol. Nothing is sacred. No school spirit. Piss on our sports teams. Cheerleaders have a pep rally and we boo them out of the gym. While calling them ugly and throwing things. They were ugly too.

The high school was like Sherdog. But with girls too. Or like a UFC crowd.

I think that's pretty typical of high schools in places that aren't sheltered. Mine was pretty sheltered and innocent, only one football team gang rape. so our assemblies were pretty ra-ra.

One piece of indoctrination in school that did fuck me up though was the subject of drugs. My dad smokes a lot of weed. I didn't know weed was bad, or thought bad, till like 2nd grade. Then we get an anti-drug demonstration and I realize my father is basically a crackhead or smackhead. Putting weed up there with those drugs. There really wasn't any distinction made. I was so ashamed. They destroyed my father in my eyes. I was scared he would get arrested and go to prison too. That began my hatred of cops. I started early.

Similar experience here, but my father did actually get arrested for pot. Shit messed me up. He had to go to an inpatient rehab to save his job and I was a holy terror to my mother and the school after that. Brought alcohol to school, fights, etc. Good times lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back